Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

zyprexa weight loss

14K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Locked 
#1 ·
Do you think it is possible to lose weight while taking zyprexa? The main reason i take it is because it helps me sleep but the unsatisfiable hunger is difficult to control. I am managing to eat healthy food but i still crave junk food.

#2 ·
Do you think it is possible to lose weight while taking zyprexa?
Sure, here are some ideas on how that could be done.

1. Have your jaw wired shut.
2. Be locked in a cage without access to food.
3. Eat as Zyprexa makes you and then vomit.

I don't know if there even is any drug in the entire world that causes more weight gain than Zyprexa, so if you don't want to gain weight I think you really have to avoid taking it in the first place.

What other sleep aids have you tried? Know them, perhaps everyone here could give suggestions regarding other things that may work which you have yet to try and that don't cause the severe weight gain that Zyprexa is infamous for.

#3 ·
Are you diagnosed with bipolar as well? The reason I'm asking is because an antipsychotic for sleep seems a bit, well, extreme. There are other pills for sleep; unfortunately for me, they didn't work but they might for you. I had to try a lot of other pills before getting a 'script for Seroquel which I haven't taken for a long time because it costs too much. Anyway, the Seroquel works--I was taking 100mg--and the dose is low enough that it didn't cause any weight gain or hunger. Maybe you should inquire about another option because Zyprexa is so notorious for the weight gain/hunger problem. There is no way you can lose weight on that stuff; you'll be lucky if you don't gain.

#4 ·
Well, you can try toughing out the cravings and sacrifice a little for weight management or loss. Although I havent been on Zypreza I have been on risperdal that would make me eat like a pig. One way I worked on eating and losing bodyfat at the same time without exercise is to follow six small meals a day to help optimize maximum fat loss and stabilize blood sugar. If you still find losing weight difficult I would switch to Geodon or some other antipsychotic that is weight neutral.

#6 ·
If there is any way to lose weight on Zyprexa, I haven't found it. I've been on it for about 12 yrs and gained 93 lbs the first few months. Still unable to take it off. I suffer a 24x7 ravenous appetite. I had worn a size 6 all my adult life and now wear a 14. I hate it, but it is necessary.

#7 ·
Are you on it purely for sleep? or does it just help with that in addition to bipolar, schizophrenia or something else that it's indicated to treat? If it's purely for sleep I would definitely consider trying something else.

If you're condition does require you to take an antipsychotic, maybe try one that's supposedly more weight neutral.

And if you absolutely can't get off of zyprexa then supposedly the zydis (orally dissolving form) causes less weight gain, but I wouldn't bank on that to be honest. I also recall reading somewhere a psychiatrist claiming that he adds Topamax to zyprexa to reduce the hunger cravings/weight gain.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15876898
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17873679

#9 ·
ask your doctor about adding metformin, assuming you're eating properly and aren't losing weight, or even gaining it still. it's added commonly enough to counter the metabolic / insulin resistance problems (and thus weight issues) associated with the atypicals.

#10 ·
The way to lose wieght while taking zyprexa is to eat a high fiber, high protein, low carbohydrate, low fat diet. Lots of salad with fat free dressing, vegatable dip made from fat free sour cream, etc. Do 30 minutes of cardio a day. Also you should take modafinil-zyprexa lowers your metabolism, raises your blood pressure, increases your appetite, and increases your risk of getting diabetes. Modafinil gives you energy, increases you metabolism, I think it lowers your blood pressure, and decreases your appetite. I have lost 10 pounds in a week in a half. Zyprexa is a good anti psychotic, but modafinil has combatted the side effects of zyprexa; i even sleep better. Chase your dream if you have money to survive and see where it gets you. Herbert Penner-Look me up on facebook.
Later

#11 ·
The way to lose wieght while taking zyprexa is to eat a high fiber, high protein, low carbohydrate, low fat diet. Lots of salad with fat free dressing, vegatable dip made from fat free sour cream, etc.
That's right, Zyprexa can switch the body's primary fuel supply over from carbohydrates to fat, so the result is that sugar builds up in your body at higher rates than normal. A low sugar /refined carb diet may help this.

*edit* just noticed that ricca91 explained this in good detail in another thread so I'll reqoute him;

Also, the problem with Zyprexa, even more than increased appetite from H1 and 5-HT2A antagonism is its effect on body's metabolism.

See, normally the body uses glucose as its main source of energy, then, when glucose reserves are used up (1-2 days), it uses fat, and after they are used up (weeks) it begins to burn proteins and eventually death occurs.

With zyprexa in particular, the body ceases to use glucose as its main source of energy and begins to use fat instead. This is not a good thing, since the glucose stays in the bloodstream, hyperglycemia occurs and the body produces more insulin to try and make the glucose enter the cells, but since cells use fat instead of glucose the glucose stays in the bloodstream and more and more insulin is produced and the body becomes resistant to it. There is when the risk of diabetes goes up and up.

This effect, plus the increase in appetite make zyprexa one of the worst meds in terms of metabolic effects.

#12 ·
i have a friend on zyprexa who ripped and has an 8 pack. He on it cause he shizo tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.