Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this help anyone with anxiety (not depression)?

It doesn't do anything for me except cause side effects. I am tired of these good for nothing SSRIs.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
How long have you tried it at which dose?

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 weeks, 1st week at 50mg/day, then 100mg/day. I know this is not enough time but I was hoping to see some positive effects by now.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Give it 6 weeks, which other meds have tried?

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Citalopram, prozac and buspar a few years ago. Remeron a few months ago, which I quit due to side effects. None of these medications have worked.
I am wondering if Zoloft has helped anyone with anxiety? I have read plenty of info. saying it is good for depression, but it hasn't been proven to be of much use in SA according to some studies I came across online.

"Sertraline has been successfully used for the treatment of social phobia (social anxiety disorder).[81] In a flexible dosing study, it appeared that a higher dose range was needed for adequate response. Furthermore, improvement was achieved slowly, separating from the placebo response only by week six, and continuing to increase until week 12.[82] The response was higher among the patients with later onset, especially adult onset, of the disorder.[3] Among the different rating scales, the clinician-rated global improvement demonstrated the highest difference vs. placebo, while the patient self-rated quality of life differed from placebo only modestly. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoloft#Social_phobia

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that quote answers my question:b
Apparently, it works very slowly, gotta wait a few more weeks.
Ty Medline.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That study you mentioned outlines a good point that sometimes we aren't even able to recognize how meds really are benefiting us. We may not feel an instant jolt of positive, euphoric energy and suddenly all is wonderful in life but because this is what some people sub consciously expect they may give up on meds which might be doing them a lot more good than they recognize. In fact sometimes its even the exact opposite as was the case for me with adderall (a sudden boost of euphoric, 'all is well in life' energy, which in fact was making my life and moods even more unstable and dysfunctional). It took me a couple months to really observe in myself the positive effects lexapro has on me even though I wanted to stop it during most of that time when I was first starting out. Not making any direct relation to the post other than to say give yourself some time on a med to really observe how it effects all aspects of your moods and behavior before giving up on it.

Good luck with the zoloft and don't give up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was on zoloft about 9 weeks ago and it really helped with my anxiety. I loved it. The only problem was it made me gain a lot of weight so I went off of it. It took a while to kick in but when it did I felt like a new person. Give it time and see. I hope you have luck with it. Take care......

Angel

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
I took (sertraline) zoloft for like two years and couldnt really tell any difference in anxiety levels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts