Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering getting back on zoloft. I haven't taken it since early 2001 and if my memory serves me correct I was paying a hefty amt every month to be on this drug. I figure by now I can get it w/ a generic. I assume the generic is just as good or is it made in China and who knows what the quality is???

I'm guessing it is near impossible to lose weight while taking zoloft? I remember gaining a good 10 pounds over a year when I went on that drug. It helped with my depression and to a lesser extent anxiety. It definitely chilled me out when I was in situations that would typically anger me.

Anyway I plan to try a regimen of low carb diet and strenuous exercise first to see if that helps before I get back on zoloft. I'm in school right now and I want too see if the zoloft helps me when I start a new job. I find myself dreading the thought of being at a new job and adjusting to all that since I had been working for myself mostly the last several years so I haven't had to deal w/ the SA problem as much.

Thanks for any responses.

PS: I plan to find a doc too that will prescribe xanax as I used to have a prescription for that but it ran out a year ago. Xanax is very helpful but my mind also goes numb which is a problem if I need anxiety relief at work but still need to think straight.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The quality of generics is fine in general, Zoloft didn't cost so much in the past because is was worth so much, the manufacturer just had to make as much money as possible before his patent on this product expired.

You could add Wellbutrin XL to prevent weight gain, augment the antidepressant effect of Zoloft and counteract other potential SSRI side effects like sexual dysfunction and fatigue. But as you seem to have some insurance problems, that' probably not an option. You can also try Citalopram (Celexa) which could be more weight neutral for you and is available on the "WalMart's $4 generic prescription drugs" list.

Maybe you didn't find the right Xanax dose and a little bit less would have been better. If you do have strong physical symptoms of anxiety like a racing heart, trembling, sweating... then the beta blocker Inderal (Propranolol) would be a very good choice. It works within ~30-60 minutes and strongly reduces those symptoms described above. Unlike Benzos like Xanax your head stays clear and Inderal is very easy to get in general.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your posts. That is interesting about the "add Wellbutrin XL to prevent weight gain" comment. I didn't know that you could combine the two. I guess I would prefer to go with zoloft since I know that has helped in the past. I briefly tried lexapro about 2 yrs ago but stopped b/c it was making me feel worse and I really didn't have the patience to stick with it but I can't remember zoloft ever causing me problems aside from the extra 10 lbs and some moderate fatigue. After that bad experience with lexapro I didn't want to even try zoloft again at that time.

And thanks for the pricing info as well as I wasn't sure what a generic Zoloft would cost. Certainly not having health insurance at the moment I want to keep costs down. It is bad enough to have to pay big $$$ to a doctor just to get a drug prescription.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I may have to go back to generic zoloft, too. I am now taking pristiq, but it is just too expensive. I used to take generic zoloft many years ago, and it worked great for me, as far as anxiety goes. I don't think I had weight gain from it....but I was much younger, so that makes a difference. That is actually my main fear of trying it again, is the weight gain. Also, pristiq seems to be working a little for me. I just think the ssri's are better for anxiety, for me, anyways. I seem to be taking more of my xanax lately, which scares me, because I am worried he won't give me more when I need it.

Medline, you recommended celexa and said it might be more weight neutral. Is it supposed to be, especially compared to zoloft or lexapro?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Lexapro is considered pretty weight neutral from controlled studies and real life experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am taking 200mg a day of generic zoloft, and it really hasnt done anything for my SA, it did at first and now it doesnt.... is this common? the doc also added mirtazepine 30mg at night, which hasnt done anything either.... ahhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have found in my own experience and from reading other people's experiences while on Zoloft that it doesn't really do much for SA at all. It may help with panic attacks to a certain degree but constant SA won't go away. I think the fact it claims to work on SA is a bit questionable. The only 2 serotonin related anti-depressants that have any real effect (even if small) concerning SA are Effexor and Paxil, which are also considered the 2 most potent and powerful anti-depressants of SSRI/SNRI family.

Just something to consider.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Well it has helped my SA substantially so I'm certainly not questioning the drug. It's no miracle drug but none of them are, however what it has enabled me to do is feel comfortable enough to seek further treatment and also rationally judge events instead of instantly backing out of them like I used to.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Well i got zoloft generic on friday at walmart, 90 pills 100mg for like $61
That's actually a lot more than you'd need to pay. I looked up the price at the pharmacy I use and 100 mg x 90 goes for $29.97 (shipping adds $2.99 -- regardless how many scripts your order at one time).

We're not supposed to discuss online pharmacies, even a fully legitimate one such as I use. I'll PM you a link in case you want to save money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts