Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WillCedar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on Zoloft for 3 weeks now, and I haven't felt any improvements or relief from my anxiety. The reason I wanted to try out an SSRI was so that I could take something every day and eventually wean off of Klonopin.

I've been on Klonopin for 2 years and it's been a wonder drug for me, but I try to avoid taking it every day. I usually take it 4 times a week, and it's only effective for about 2 hours (usually kicks in after about 90 minutes), but those 2 hours are heaven. I'm relaxed, I'm able to talk to coworkers, most of the physical symptoms (blushing, shaking, sweating, shaky voice, feeling sick, etc.) are gone, and I can think rationally around others.

On the other hand, when I'm not on Klonopin, I'm a complete mess. I completely withdraw, I'm paranoid, I avoid any type of social interaction, and I feel like I'm almost on the edge of a panic attack. The best way to describe it would be it's like someone is pushing me under water and I can't breathe, and I just need to be alone so I can breathe again. I'm even like this around my own family.

When I'm by myself, I'm able to relax and enjoy life. Besides SA, I don't have any other major issue. I've only experienced mild depression at times and it's always been situational. I don't have general anxiety disorder either. Just severe social anxiety disorder.

With that said, what should my next step be? I've decided I'm not going to try another SSRI. I can't imagine an SSRI working for me. I could try taking Klonopin every day, or twice a day, but I hate the idea of becoming so addicted and dependent on it. I've read too many horror stories. Or I could try another medication. Does anyone have any suggestions on what route I should take next?

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
Maybe Zoloft didn't work for you, because you have high maoa levels? Are you caucasian? Maybe you need to take Nardil. " Zoloft didn't work for me" is something I've never heard, because just one pill of Zoloft wiped out my anxiety and depression instantly, I guess am the lucky one. Am blessed. Muahaha.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Though Zoloft has been approved for SA, the most indicated and effective medication for SA is Paxil.

I know there some claiming Nardil is effective but most doctors won't prescribe it. It wasn't ever marketed for SA either, just depression.

Reactions: swim

·
WillCedar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Still not sure what I'm gonna do. I have an appointment with my doctor in 3 weeks, so I'll continue to take Zoloft until then. Hopefully somehow it will magically start working in the next 3 weeks.

Maybe Zoloft didn't work for you, because you have high maoa levels? Are you caucasian? Maybe you need to take Nardil. " Zoloft didn't work for me" is something I've never heard, because just one pill of Zoloft wiped out my anxiety and depression instantly, I guess am the lucky one. Am blessed. Muahaha.
Mustafa - what exactly are high maoa levels? I don't quite understand what that means. And yes, I'm caucasian.

·
Registered
851 Posts
3 weeks is not nearly enough time to give a medication. You can't expect a SSRI or antidepressant to provide you with instant relief like a benzo. You have to give it at least 6-8 weeks on the therapeutic dosage. Also you shouldn't expect any kind of dramatic effect that you notice suddenly, instead it will most likely be very gradual and you'll eventually notice you don't feel as bad.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It has air wacky what you say concerning the rate of Maoists by ethnicity of an individual.
Do you have any sources please?

As for the poster of the subject, what dose of zoloft you took?

Otherwise I suggest you paroxetine or Nardil + benzo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts