Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a ton of medications over the years and kept a pretty good list of them. One thing I didn't have on it was Zoloft and that is why my new doctor prescribed it to me last month. I am currently on 100mg daily, taken in the morning and I had a few weeks of fairly annoying side effects. Most of them have subsided and now in general I feel fairly good. My mood is much more leveled and over all higher then before. Although I have not noticed much change in my anxiety levels.
After reading around on the web and noting what the doctor said it can take many weeks to feel a difference from Zoloft. So I am wondering if anyone has been on it, and had a day where all of a sudden it seemed to help? And if so how long it actually took and at what dosage?

He is going to trail me on it for a total of 6 weeks, and I am sure by then I will know for sure, but I am starting to lose hope as the days tick by.

Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is he going to up your dosage? Usually people take closer to 200mg if it's for anxiety. If you've been taking it for a month, you should be past the adjustment phase and are now feeling the full effects. I took Zoloft for depression and it worked wonderfully. I tried taking it for anxiety a few years later and it did not work, however, my dose was only at about 100 and then I heard it was supposed to be higher. Don't lose hope! If it's not working for you, ask for a higher dosage!

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't know what he will want to do, but considering it has helped my mood I can't complain being on it. I am all for trying it at a higher dosage if that is whats needed. Thanks for the response and encouragement! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know for a fact that it's worked for some. It got some very favorable at:

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/dru...oft-for-social-phobia-social-anxiety-disorder

I was going to be put on Zoloft, but when I told my doctor my reason for stopping Paxil was sexual dysfunction, she put me on Celexa - which has definitely mitigated my social anxiety to the point where I have no trouble exchanging pleasantries with strangers in public.

·
Banned
76 Posts
a zoloft type med took almost 6 weeks to cut in and then helped me a lot, remember zoloft is just 1 of many prozac type meds, a SSRI type and your dose is OK

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Not losing hope!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll be starting 50mg Zoloft today, ironically I feel a lot better since I first thought of taking an SSRI but I still don't have the confidence to leave the house so I think its still needed. Hopefully this stuff works :fingerscrossed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Zoloft worked for me to counteract Propecia(for hair loss) which i got side effects from, ie major depression. I'm on it now for SA and it maybe helps a little bit,I think some improvements have ultimately been a result of my own doing for the most part. I really don't know. I'm on 200mg daily at the moment
so i would say try it and see. The main thing is that once you go on meds is to attempt some change in your social habits, as just taking a pill and feeling less down for a while isn't enough. You will still have to attempt to talk to people etc.

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am at 150mg now, 8th week in. If this dose doesn't work doc says we will switch, have 4 more weeks before I give up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
150mg in 8 weeks seems quite fast to me. I thought the idea of safe effective dosing was to increase the dose after every month like this:

Starting dose 50mg for 1 month
2nd month 100mg
3rd month 150mg

and so on..

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was on 50mg for 1 week just to help move up to the 100mg, then was on that for 5 weeks now on 150mg. I really didn't have any bad issues outside of some of the normal side effects. I don't know how "unsafe" it was to move up that quickly but I have shown a very high resistance to most medications so far.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah I was on 100mg for about a month now I've been on 200 mg for two or three months..I think I'll get off it once I start at the group thing for SA I'm doing because if I am getting doped up and paying for the priviledge I want there to be a reasonably discernible difference dammit.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Zoloft never worked for me and I really beat that dead horse. I started at 100, went to 200 within a week and was eventually up to 300 mg daily. After 13 weeks (3 months) I stopped the experiment due to a total lack of efficacy, unless you count how well it kills sex drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Zoloft works great for me. I'm only on 50mg. Honestly, it took about 2 months for me to get the full effects. I haven't really noticed any side effects... except for the first week I started taking it... (upset stomach) As long as Zoloft is on the market I'll be taking it.... it has helped me out sooo much with my anxiety, I feel like a completely different (and better) person!

·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it ends up helping by the end of 12 weeks at this dose I would be happy and wont mind staying on it. I have not completely given up as I have only been at this dose a week or so.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Zoloft is the only psychotropic substance I couldn't tolerate because of side effects :), but in general I think Lexapro + Zoloft are the best SSRIs on the market (which possibly doesn't mean alot as they are still SSRIs ;)). I consider them first-line treatment for patients with social phobia nevertheless.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Zoloft is the only psychotropic substance I couldn't tolerate because of side effects :), but in general I think Lexapro + Zoloft are the best SSRIs on the market (which possibly doesn't mean alot as they are still SSRIs ;)). I consider them first-line treatment for patients with social phobia nevertheless.
Yeah I agree, studys have shown lexapro and zoloft consitantly to be both effective and well tolerated compared to the other SSRI's in general. And their both good first line meds to start on, before trying out the more heavy drugs in the depression/anxiety arsenal.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I was on 200mg of Zoloft and 50mg of Seroquel. I remember in the beginning it wasn't working as well so we added the Seroquel. I took these at night though because the Seroquel really sedates you. It helped for a while I think but eventually the side effects were too much for me and my anxiety ended up creeping back on me real bad in relation to school. In other situations I was fine though. Anyway, I stopped taking it over a year ago. I haven't been medicated since.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts