Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hopefully some people with experience will reply to this..Basically I was on Zoloft for a while before for depression and it did help as far as giving me some energy and a better mood generally, now I'm maybe slightly depressed but in the throes of social anxiety. My doctor will put me back on it if I want, my psychologist doesn't think I should, he wants me to do it the old fashioned CBT way, he says its the same basic idea as drinking alcohol which I'm avoiding at the moment.

I feel as though my thoughts are ultimately self defeating from the moment I get up in the morning, would Zoloft help to calm them a bit so I can at least start the momentum to change my thinking and behaviours. Today my mind was just a f***ing mess. Maybe I just need to work harder on exposure and thought defusion?

I don't see the psych very much he's always booked out, but my hole is getting deeper and friends fewer, shoulders slumping lower every day. This was a bit of a vent, but should I do what I really want and get back on Zoloft? Or is this not the best way perhaps? I mean, if it gives me some gas in the tank so to speak I'd be better off I think. Please reply if you have anything somewhat relevant you could add.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
From what I have read people seem to have good success with a combination of drugs and therapy such as CBT. The drugs like zoloft just help calm them enough so they can at least concentrate on the therapy. That is how it has worked for me as well, on zoloft I feel more relaxed about life generally and wake up in a much better mood each day. Compared to when I was off drugs I have far more motivation to stick to the therapy and work hard to get over my SA.

So for me it has helped, and I believe the combination can be really helpful in combating SA.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
My doctor will put me back on it if I want, my psychologist doesn't think I should, he wants me to do it the old fashioned CBT way, he says its the same basic idea as drinking alcohol
If your psychologist compares taking an antidepressant to treat depression & social anxiety with selfmedicating psychiatric illness with alcohol then he is dumb, at least his statement is, sorry.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys I thought the alcohol statement was a bit retarded too, I can't quote him exactly but it was something to that effect, but I have a lot more problems when I'm drunk than I had on Zoloft. For twenty dollars a month or whatever Zoloft costs I think it would be worth it. Ospi from what you're saying you had the same experience as me with Zoloft, although at the time I wasn't trying to fight my SA, so I figure f*** it, I won't be on the stuff forever, and any help I can get I want to use. I'm in Brisbane too man rock on. My psychologist can't prescribe meds, so maybe he would rather I soldiered on without to toughen me up or something, I don't know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Zoloft is my best friend*. It's really helped my SA in combination with therapy. I temporarily switched to Prozac and noticed a major increase in anxiety. So yeah, it's definitely doing something. If you want to try meds again, go for it.

(*Slight exaggeration. I really do appreciate me some Zoloft. :p )

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to the 4 Life psychology centre, 4 times so far, it's been good but still got a long way to go, he's recommending I do speed dating, which scares the s**t out of me to be honest. Guess that's the point.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
So hopefully some people with experience will reply to this..Basically I was on Zoloft for a while before for depression and it did help as far as giving me some energy and a better mood generally, now I'm maybe slightly depressed but in the throes of social anxiety. My doctor will put me back on it if I want, my psychologist doesn't think I should, he wants me to do it the old fashioned CBT way, he says its the same basic idea as drinking alcohol which I'm avoiding at the moment.
I'm not one to jump on bandwagons, but your psychologist sounds like a dumbass. Medications like Zoloft are sustainable and monitored by a professional; alcohol is neither.

If the Zoloft was working for you, I see no reason not to take it. Just remember there are many other neurotransmitters to target in the brain, not just serotonin. Dopamine deficiency, for example, is very close to the "root" of SA in my opinion. MAOIs target a diverse number of neurotransmitter systems.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Wow speed dating, seems like a massive step. Guess he understands your condition and how best to help you overcome it, though I find his opinions about using drugs may be a little strange but I mean if you are happy with how it is going thus far then maybe stick with it.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I mean no offence, but do you really think speed dating is the answer to self-esteem problems, depression and stuff like that? Relationships come from the natural flow of life (jobs, education, parties, etc.), not a forced, awkward 5 minutes spent with someone. Speed dating sounds like not the answer, but a symptom of your problem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I don't think it's the answer and I doubt he does either, it's more something he wants me to try because I'm forever babbling about girls and my lack of opportunity and experience with them. I don't think it's something I will do for a fair while yet.I think sometimes he doesn't get how bad I am, I come across more confident to him than I do in almost all situations outside because I perceive him as relatively neutral. The drugs thing who knows, he mentioned something about that I haven't tried hard enough at other methods I think. I'm probably oversimplifying things with these posts. I really appreciate the replies, thanks guys. The therapy is just like an overload of information sometimes.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Remember that you're the one who has to live with the problem, not him. If you want meds, you would be able to get them (even if it means going to another doc).

I think there are some things CBT can cure quickly, such as specific phobias like public speaking. Likewise, some things are rather pointless (and in my opinion, cruel) to try to fix with CBT alone, and these include ADHD-like symptoms, atypical depression, psychosis, severe generalised social anxiety and schizoid personality disorder. You need to identify the root of the problems, because some things can be fixed with more (or less) neurotransmitters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts