Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else use alcohol as a self-med? im on zoloft 50mg once a day and i don't notice a difference at all. i am happier but it doesn't stop my heart racing when one of my bf's friend's rocks up uninvited. Is it just me?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I find alcohol helps my SA better than any other drug except MDMA. However it takes me several drinks to be sociaciable so I only tend to binge drink. And seen I can't afford to binge drink everyday, I only tend to get out on the weekends. But alcohol only masks the underlying problem so it's no solution (i doubt any drug is).

·
Registered
93 Posts
the problem with alcohol is that you want more and more and then you reach to a point that it doesn't help because you are drunk all the time anyway

alcohol is not to be used daily, or couple of drinks per day max

alternatively (and better IMHO) is to get slightly drunk occasionally (on difficult days)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Problem with alcohol is it's obvious to everyone when you are drunk. You can't drink before work and expect no one to notice. I find it helps me going out on weekends but in normal situations (when everyone is sober) it makes me self-conscious because i realize everyone is thinking "who is this drunken idiot".

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
I've been taking Paxil and drinking pretty regularly including now, I don't have ANY side-affects from the drug.
Alcohol for me doesn't really reduce anxiety much because I know that once I'm drunk people can tell that I am..
Once I attended university classes with a few beers under my belt and I was so anxious because I kept thinking they knew I was drunk even though they probably didn't.

Because when you start drinking your voice starts changing... I'm a singer, and once I've done a few the voice just seems off. Notes aren't on point and stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.