Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tag line from the Dark Souls 2 trailer. I'm very excited for the game, as I've only started playing Dark Souls 1 recently and it has completely drawn me in with the lore and deep gameplay. I'm just past Anor Londo.

Anyone excited for the new game? Discuss. My apologies if this discussion belongs elsewhere. But don't be mad... no one wants to see you go hollow.

Praise the sun!

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
Everyone is excited for Dark souls II.

Everyone is also terrified that it might sell out to aim for a wider audience and go the way of Dragon Age II.

We'll find out next month

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
Everyone is excited for Dark souls II.

Everyone is also terrified that it might sell out to aim for a wider audience and go the way of Dragon Age II.

We'll find out next month
A year ago, sure. Now?

- Each time you die you lose a percentage of your max HP up to 50%
- You can be invaded while hollow
- Backstabs can whiff
- You start with a single estus flask
- Enemies around a bonfire will cease to respawn after a certain number of kills, so no more safe farming
- There are wandering miniboss type enemies that will follow you, like the black knights were originally meant to do.
- There's an item that you can throw into a bonfire to increase the difficulty
- Armor has stat requirements
- The only way to turn human again is to use a human effigy and supposedly there are a finite number of them.

So no worries. It's still hardcore. From playing the beta test I can say that in my experience it's harder than the first. Enemies are more reactive and won't hesitate to rush you down if you dare turn your back.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it looks brutal in some of the gameplay I've seen so far. I will buy it right away, but I'll probably leave it until after the semester, where it will compete for my attention against a newborn.

But the graphics look updated as well. I'm worried about this game transitioning to next gen, as the spiders in the ps3 games are manageable, but may be too convincing in future sequels. I had to summon Man Eater Mildred and a phantom just to overcome Queelag. I ran like a ------ for most of the fight.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
But the graphics look updated as well. I'm worried about this game transitioning to next gen, as the spiders in the ps3 games are manageable, but may be too convincing in future sequels. I had to summon Man Eater Mildred and a phantom just to overcome Queelag. I ran like a ------ for most of the fight.
Mildred always just stood in the lava and died for me lol.

This game is coming out for current gen and shows what a PS4 Souls game may look like:

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mildred always just stood in the lava and died for me lol.

This game is coming out for current gen and shows what a PS4 Souls game may look like:

Yes, I was a little underwhelmed by a gameplay feature I saw on that one, but I'm excited for Witcher 3. I'm getting back into RPGs since I've conceded that I always have and will suck at shooters. I get too pissed off with FPS stuff.

I also want Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day for my PS3, which is Suda 51's new joint. I really like No More Heroes 1 and 2, and Killer is Dead. I'm skipping Metal Gear until V comes out officially.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
This is a tag line from the Dark Souls 2 trailer. I'm very excited for the game, as I've only started playing Dark Souls 1 recently and it has completely drawn me in with the lore and deep gameplay. I'm just past Anor Londo.

Anyone excited for the new game? Discuss. My apologies if this discussion belongs elsewhere. But don't be mad... no one wants to see you go hollow.

Praise the sun!
I'm obsessed with Dark Souls. I played that game to the point of being able to beat every boss without leveling up (the ENB challenge) and I know just about every trick/shortcut/technique/lore in the game. Same with Demon's Souls. Cannot wait for DS2!

Feel free to pm me if you're stuck on something, Anor Londo = maybe 40% through, depending on how many minor bosses you killed on the way.

·
Sane
1,334 Posts
A year ago, sure. Now?

- Each time you die you lose a percentage of your max HP up to 50%
- You can be invaded while hollow
- Backstabs can whiff
- You start with a single estus flask
- Enemies around a bonfire will cease to respawn after a certain number of kills, so no more safe farming
- There are wandering miniboss type enemies that will follow you, like the black knights were originally meant to do.
- There's an item that you can throw into a bonfire to increase the difficulty
- Armor has stat requirements
- The only way to turn human again is to use a human effigy and supposedly there are a finite number of them.

So no worries. It's still hardcore. From playing the beta test I can say that in my experience it's harder than the first. Enemies are more reactive and won't hesitate to rush you down if you dare turn your back.
I'm one of those people who's always thought that both Demon's and Dark souls weren't really that hard. I've played more linear games on their highest difficulty settings that have been harder than the souls games, so I'm actually really pleased about these increases in difficulty in Dark Souls 2.

The only one that's got me worried is still being able to get invaded while hollow; I would almost always get invaded literally seconds after turning human in Dark Souls, so I had to play most of the game in hollow form. I guess I'll just play in offline mode in DS 2 if the invasions are too frequent.

This is definitely the most anticipated game being released this year for me, the Witcher 3 comes very close though. :yes

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
The only one that's got me worried is still being able to get invaded while hollow; I would almost always get invaded literally seconds after turning human in Dark Souls, so I had to play most of the game in hollow form. I guess I'll just play in offline mode in DS 2 if the invasions are too frequent.
I have heard (without bothering to check if this is legit from the devs) that there will be items (consumables with a temporary effect?) to prevent invasions, and that invasions will be more (or entirely?) targeted at players who have sinned (invaded other players, betrayed covenant, attacked NPC's and whatever else counts for sin in DaS2, presumably).

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm obsessed with Dark Souls. I played that game to the point of being able to beat every boss without leveling up (the ENB challenge) and I know just about every trick/shortcut/technique/lore in the game. Same with Demon's Souls. Cannot wait for DS2!

Feel free to pm me if you're stuck on something, Anor Londo = maybe 40% through, depending on how many minor bosses you killed on the way.
I did Ash Lake today and headed for the Catacombs. I'm far too leveled up - killed Pinwheel with 3 or 4 hits. Thanks for the offer, and I will! Praise the sun!

·
Banned
26 Posts
Since I'm here, well... Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are on sale on PS3 and XBL respectively. If I'm looking for a hard game that is not based on trial and error, would anyone recommend those?

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Since I'm here, well... Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are on sale on PS3 and XBL respectively. If I'm looking for a hard game that is not based on trial and error, would anyone recommend those?
No, these games are 100% trial and error. The idea is to die over and over and over until you learn the trick.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, these games are 100% trial and error. The idea is to die over and over and over until you learn the trick.
Yeah, I'd have to agree as a recent noob myself. But I love how the theme of 'death' is not only a procedural element of the game, but also at the crux of the narrative. Dark Souls is more fun than The Last of Us because it tells a story as an old school game, not a new school movie. But both games are great and challenging.

Maybe you [Cheese Sandwich] should try TLOU.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
I'm far too leveled up - killed Pinwheel with 3 or 4 hits.
Pinwheel always dies in 3 or 4 hits, you can actually kill him super early (like, pre-gargoyles) to have rite of kindling for the whole game. what level are you, out of curiosity? I remember on my first Dark Souls playthrough I got stuck and Smough and Ornstein and spent ages level grinding to beat them, so I was at an insane level (over 100), before I beat the game, whereas now I can comfortably beat the game at level 20 or so...haven't done soul level 1 run yet.

Crystal Caves :lol

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
haven't done soul level 1 run yet.
Not as hard as it sounds at first, you do it as cheaply as possible. I mean you can't make any mistakes because of the low health, but it's not so bad when you've got ring of favor, red tearstone, fire within, and a +15 weapon.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pinwheel always dies in 3 or 4 hits, you can actually kill him super early (like, pre-gargoyles) to have rite of kindling for the whole game. what level are you, out of curiosity? I remember on my first Dark Souls playthrough I got stuck and Smough and Ornstein and spent ages level grinding to beat them, so I was at an insane level (over 100), before I beat the game, whereas now I can comfortably beat the game at level 20 or so...haven't done soul level 1 run yet.

Crystal Caves :lol
I'm level 79. I thought Ornstein and Smough were rather easy... at least compared to my expectations. I get owned by mushroom parents and giant cats though, even wheel dudes. I've been using a guide to find all the good stuff though, so I'm still a scrub.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
Warning: a few gameplay spoilers but nothing major. Sounds good so far!

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
Meh.. I think people in this thread are kind of over-hyping the potential difficulty. The fact that they are essentially bringing back the plants from Demon Souls instead of using flasks, and having the ability to teleport between bonfires as soon as you find them (another game making players lazy with fast travel...) says rather a lot in context. Don't get me wrong, i'm totally stoked for DSII, but i don't think it's going to garner the same difficulty as previous titles, even if Tanimura is trying to convince otherwise when he started getting criticisms for making clear that he was trying to make the game more accessible to more players.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Meh.. I think people in this thread are kind of over-hyping the potential difficulty. The fact that they are essentially bringing back the plants from Demon Souls instead of using flasks, and having the ability to teleport between bonfires as soon as you find them (another game making players lazy with fast travel...) says rather a lot in context. Don't get me wrong, i'm totally stoked for DSII, but i don't think it's going to garner the same difficulty as previous titles, even if Tanimura is trying to convince otherwise when he started getting criticisms for making clear that he was trying to make the game more accessible to more players.
2 things to say
1) you can always make it harder yourself by choosing not to use any healing items(like I did in Dark Souls)
2)fast travel should be in every single game as soon as you discover new areas. There is no excuse to not have it. It is ridiculous to plow through enemies you already know you can beat, and especially when you get far in the game and are killing minor thugs with 1 hit or just running past them. This is especially true of Dark Souls where the game is based almost entirely on the bosses, after my first play through I never bothered killing minions again, just ran and dodged past them

1 - 20 of 49 Posts