Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just wanted to ask those that are current college students their majors and why you're majoring in it and what you plan to do with said degree. Also, for those of you in grad school, what are you pursuing?

Sorry for the random questions, I'm at ends as to what I want to do with my life and would just like to see what people pursue. What made you follow that path?

I am a Biology major at a Texas university, but I am contemplating to switching since I don't enjoy my science classes as much as I thought I would. I am thinking of just not being pre-med since I feel a lack of interest in my courses and lab, which is confusing me a tad bit since its research based.

I am heavily inclined towards music but I can't major in it since my musical background is a tad unorthodox. I am interested in psychology and English, but I've heard how those degrees don't really lead to jobs after college. I've thought about teaching, but I wouldn't enjoy it, frankly.

I'm just a little lost as to what to do with my life at this point. Any tips?

Sorry if this post deems as rather incoherent. Thanks, and have a good one.

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
For psychology you have to get a master's degree to practice in the field, and there's plenty of research opportunities. English is actually not a bad degree and its unemployment rate is lower than architecture degrees.

Maybe a social science involving research would be more interesting?

·
Recovery/"Over it"
3,391 Posts
Politics+Sociology (equal).
Because I think the way people interact, and the way community is structured/reproduced/controlled, is THE most important thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For psychology you have to get a master's degree to practice in the field, and there's plenty of research opportunities. English is actually not a bad degree and its unemployment rate is lower than architecture degrees.
I'm a sophmore and currently an English major, and reading stuff like this makes me feel better about my choice.

I'm always worried that my degree will be useless in the "real world," but I figure I'd rather take classes I'll enjoy than courses I hate for a slightly better chance at some vague "financial success."

Plus, our plans for the future almost never turn out the way we imagine - so many random events led to where I am now, and many more will determine where I am 10 years from now.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I did my undergrad in biology, because it was the most direct route to hitting the pre-reqs for medical school admissions. It was just a means to an end for me honestly.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
math because i thought i might be able to graduate with a decent gpa (or in the more short-term sense get by semester to semester without plunging into academic probation). i thought i might switch to computer science but that is seeming less likely as i see my chances of being able to get a decent gpa in that dropping as time goes by. why do i care about gpa? i don't know exactly but it does seem like something interesting to care about.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been thinking, and one career path that is in mind that I haven't crossed out is teaching. In retrospect, I would love explaining things to my nieces and nephews when they didn't understanding a specific subject, and I've realized I feel the same in my calculus course when a student was stuck and I helped her understand the material a bit. I'm not sure, but it's something I haven't ruled out.

·
The Worst
1,664 Posts
I'm an art major--I switched from genetics. Yeah. ;/
I was so sure I wanted to do science but when I got in the classes I was bored plus I couldn't handle the math-related prerequisites (chemistry, physics, calc). My dream career was always to be an illustrator or graphic novelist but somehow in high school it never even occurred to me that I could pursue those things. If I could do it all over again I would have done art from the beginning.

As far as earning money, well I'm not even thinking about that yet. I can barely concentrate on the present. ;/

I don't know why 18 year olds are expected to know what to do for the rest of their lives. Because they don't--it's okay to realize the decision you made sucked. If you don't like your major, change it. You don't want to have to live with a career that you're not interested in.

·
Banned
656 Posts
I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology but when I went to grad school I decided to take an MA in Education major in English. I had to take additional units in Education since my Bachelor's degree is Psychology...now I work as an English teacher/trainer.

·
OneDayAtATime
102 Posts
I'm a Public Health major with a minor in Anthropology.

I changed my major from Neuroscience, to Psychology, to Anthropology, and now Public Health... all within 2 semesters. Talk about indecisive :)

I feel a degree in Public Health has a lot of great employment opportunities, and there are many directions you can go with it (health delivery, management, environmental work, social work, research, etc). However, I am MUCH more interested in my Anthropology courses- but only my minor now because I don't think the job outlook is as great.

I know degrees with high employment rates include Computer Science, Business Admin, and Engineering. I say go for a major that has some promise towards a good career, and choose a minor that you that you just are really interested in!

Good luck! :idea

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm an art major--I switched from genetics. Yeah. ;/
I was so sure I wanted to do science but when I got in the classes I was bored plus I couldn't handle the math-related prerequisites (chemistry, physics, calc). My dream career was always to be an illustrator or graphic novelist but somehow in high school it never even occurred to me that I could pursue those things. If I could do it all over again I would have done art from the beginning.

As far as earning money, well I'm not even thinking about that yet. I can barely concentrate on the present. ;/

I don't know why 18 year olds are expected to know what to do for the rest of their lives. Because they don't--it's okay to realize the decision you made sucked. If you don't like your major, change it. You don't want to have to live with a career that you're not interested in.
This is exactly how I currently feel, and I was intending on going for molecular biology. I am strongly leaning towards teaching, and my university is ranked #1 in the country for education. Yeah, rankings don't mean much, but it's an opportunity I've noted, lololol.

Also, hats off to you for pursuing something you love. I thought I was the only science major switching to something radical, lol. Best of luck withy our art career!!!

Ashli116, how is teaching going for you?

emdew: Public health? What is that exactly? At least you're studying something you enjoy, so that's great!

·
OneDayAtATime
102 Posts
emdew: Public health? What is that exactly? At least you're studying something you enjoy, so that's great!
Public Health takes human biology, psychology, and sociology into account to prevent population groups from infectious disease / hazardous exposures / injury. It has a lot to do with forming policy and networking with physicians as well.

If you're even more curious, this site has some good stuff:
http://www.whatispublichealth.org/what/index.html

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am majoring in biology with a concentration molecular bio. I love it! I love the lab and yes classes are challenging but they are fun! I want to either a be a physicians assistant or nurse practioner. I would also like to eventually teach microbio and anatomy and physiology if I can.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to ask those that are current college students their majors and why you're majoring in it and what you plan to do with said degree. Also, for those of you in grad school, what are you pursuing?

Sorry for the random questions, I'm at ends as to what I want to do with my life and would just like to see what people pursue. What made you follow that path?

I am a Biology major at a Texas university, but I am contemplating to switching since I don't enjoy my science classes as much as I thought I would. I am thinking of just not being pre-med since I feel a lack of interest in my courses and lab, which is confusing me a tad bit since its research based.

I am heavily inclined towards music but I can't major in it since my musical background is a tad unorthodox. I am interested in psychology and English, but I've heard how those degrees don't really lead to jobs after college. I've thought about teaching, but I wouldn't enjoy it, frankly.

I'm just a little lost as to what to do with my life at this point. Any tips?

Sorry if this post deems as rather incoherent. Thanks, and have a good one.
I dont know if your college has this but have you considered biotech/bioinformatics? They are alot more interesting than molecular bio and more hands on. There are alot opportunities to take part in undergrad research and get a good reference and the possibility of a permanent position after graduation. This a hard major but it is easier to keep your focus if molecular bio didn't suit you.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont know if your college has this but have you considered biotech/bioinformatics? They are alot more interesting than molecular bio and more hands on. There are alot opportunities to take part in undergrad research and get a good reference and the possibility of a permanent position after graduation. This a hard major but it is easier to keep your focus if molecular bio didn't suit you.
My college does not offer bio-informatics, despite it being one of the best public schools in the country, lolz...

I took a rather short course in bioinformatics before my senior year in high school and found it not as interesting as I'd thought.

Regardless, thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT: I actually looked and there is stuff in bioinformatics, but it's all research based within the department of computer science. I am currently doing research regarding the signal transduction pathway, and I don't enjoy it, so I doubt I'll get involved.

·
Custom User Title
648 Posts
I'm a liberal arts major at a community college right. I'm working toward graduating and transferring to a four year school in next spring. I'm planning on studying piano performance, or linguistics if I don't make it into a music department.

·
ugly ****
7,763 Posts
accounting, because according to my evaluation of myself, the only life i'm capable of and i could accept is sitting in an office and dealing with numbers all day

1 - 20 of 36 Posts