Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell about your funny SA experiences you had that makes you cringe when you think about it or makes you laugh at yourself..

·
learning...
663 Posts
When I was about 15 my best friend at the time asked me to go with him to meet his girlfriend's father (he was separated from her mother and lived miles away), because he had never met him before and was nervous. I agreed to and convinced myself I could handle it.
So, the day arrived and we take the train to this town, which took about an hour it was so far away, and all the time my anxiety is gradually rising. When we got there his girlfriend, who I hadn't met before this, was waiting at the station. We said hello to each other, but after that I just went completely silent and didn't have a clue about what to say. I could already tell she thought I was acting a little weird when we arrived at a McDonalds where her father and brother were waiting. Again, we introduced ourselves, but beyond that I could think of nothing to say and by this point my anxiety level was through the roof.
I think I lasted about another 20 minutes before I made some lame excuse to my friend and got the train back home on my own.

I've effectively blocked the whole episode from my memory because I honestly can't remember what my excuse was for leaving so quickly and I can't remember what town it was; but it is hilarious, not to mention extremely embarrassing, that I travelled all that way just to say "hello" twice and put myself through 30 minutes of extreme anxiety, before getting back on the train alone for another hour-long journey back home.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
not exactly a SA experience, but one I laughs at myself over.

It was junior year in high school at my computer repair class, this was one class were my sa almost disappeared because it was a multi year ( 3 exactly) program, so I knew half the people from last year, not a friend or anything but I knew them, and people loved to make fun of me, because I brought rather explicit manga to read( it wasn't really, but it was to them) when I was bored, and they found out, and I became the daily joke and it happened so much it got to the point to where in that class, I became numb to insult. I actually kind of looked forward to it because, hey, somebody was paying attention to be, even though in a more negative way, and it was ammusing.

Ok, thats all beside the point. We were working on lab exercises, I had a pen with one of those rubber grip at the end, I was sitting there and thinking while holding the pen upside down, my #1 enemy comes up and tries to pull the pen out of my hand and grabs the rubber grip instead. I was kinda irritated, trying to work and all, so I just blurt out something to show how irritated I am with what he done, and without thinking I yelled, DUDE, YOU PULLED MY RUBBER OFF. I swear I had no idea what I said that second, I was not trying to say anything sexual or funny in the least, just honestly venting my frustration out verbally and that's what came out of my mouth. The whole class and teacher burst into laughter and after about 5 seconds I realized what I said and started laughing till tears almost came I was laughing so hard.

Of course what made it so much funnier is I said it will honest anger and complete sincerity, I really was mad he pulled the rubber off my pen. I didn't have that sarcastic tone someone will have when they intentionally try to be funny.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reminds me of this time I was in bank line up with 11 yr old boy I was babysitting.. we were bored waiting in the line up .. he was looking at me I blew air in his face he blowed back air in my face.. we kept blowing back and forth at each other to pass the boredom.. then I got bored of doing that and stopped ..he has tourettes and he YELLED out "BLOW ME!" EVERYONE in the bank laughed!

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
had a moment yesterday

Was on a train and one person kept staring at me. So i figured I was probably staring at them and didnt realize it (i do that...). so I was panicking and just trying to forget they existed so I didnt look like a creep. Then I replayed the situation over and over in my head going a little crazy.

10 minutes later another person stares at me. I'm like "what the **** is going on" and do my best to ignore them by looking at my phone

When I got up to leave I realized I had a big map of the train stops behind me.....

Imanidiot

·
King of Orochi's
450 Posts
Sister told me she loved me, I said "thanks." What a dumbass reply.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A teacher called me up in class, asking me if I ever talk during a class. I shrug. Everyone bursts into laughter. Even I had to smirk.

·
Former SAS Elite Member
121 Posts
At a meetup we (a group of adults) went bowling. When the pins got stuck and the pin sweeper got jammed there was an awkward silence for awhile waiting for someone to work up the courage to get them fixed.

·
who cares..
863 Posts
One time in my 11th grade food and nutrition class, one of the educational assistants that helps people in class was saying, what I found to be, really stupid stuff that no one cared about, and I just couldn't handle it and I BURSTED out laughing, very loud, I had the whole class including the teacher laughing..Since I barely talked I guess they all found it hilarious how hard I was laughing, and apparently I have an infectious laugh.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I remember sitting within a group of people I didnt know. I was real nervous. I was holding drink in my hand and one of the people in the room asked me for the time as I was wearing a watch. EVERYONE looked at me for my response just as I tilted my arm to look at my watch... without thinking, I SPILT THE DRINK right in my LAP!! Everyone burst out laughing at me. Even though I laughed along it was traumatic at the time. Guess it would have been pretty funny thing to see someone do though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts