Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

We would like to get your feedback and ideas for SAS.

What do we mean by feedback and ideas?

Pretty much anything you think would make SAS a better experience for you or other people with social anxiety.

Small suggestions, like, for example, a previously requested feature to "see who's in chat before entering," are fine and welcomed.

But really what we're looking for are BIG ideas

A wiki dedicated to just social anxiety?

More articles on social anxiety?

Articles written by members (to avoid how good threads can just get lost in the mix)?

A tool to help make it easier for people to start, recruit, organize (including scheduling and email notification features) and maintain social and therapy groups?

What do you think?

Thanks!
Drew

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Well, thanks for asking! It's really cool that you're looking to improve the site and asking the members for ideas :)

I know this has been discussed before, so I'll just say it once and then shut up, but a female mod would be nice.

In general, I really like SAS, thanks to all who make it possible.

·
Registered
794 Posts
One thing that makes me uncomfortable is seeing new members - with 0 posts - in chat, because it seems as though they're only there for that. Usually, they're always in chat and never on the forums, and I just really don't like the idea of that.

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to only allows members over a certain number of posts, say 25 or 50, access to the chatroom?

Sorry if this isn't possible, but I just thought i'd mention it :)

I also second the idea of an SA wiki, as that could be informative for family members of those suffering, as well as informing the ignorant and helping us. I'd be more than happy to help out with articles if I could.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I also second the idea of an SA wiki, as that could be informative for family members of those suffering, as well as informing the ignorant and helping us. I'd be more than happy to help out with articles if I could.
Yes, I'm tired of people around me asking, "what the heck is SAD?" or "Social Anxiety? Never heard of it." I'm amazed to know that there are so many people out there like me, who are suffering from this, and yet the people around us have no clue what this is.. I wish there were more articles on techniques that actually work, to help us cope a little..

Another thing I think would be nice, is if we could decortate our pages like the one's on myspace.. I'm just saying because I think that would make it a bit funner... Or I don't know..

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Change the name on the little top bar thing so when you minimize the window it's something less obvious than "Social Anxiety Support". SAS would be fine. I try and keep my use on this site private, and it's kindof hard when my computer is in a public room and the tab for it is reeeeaaaalllly obvious.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
more space for profile info? like you could have a big text area you could write stuff, link to posts and such.

a wiki could be really interesting. cause otherwise good info gets kind of diluted and spread out over time, instead of accumulated in one place. like info on different types of therapies etc.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing a 'Frequently Asked Questions' thread in the coping forum. It seems like the same questions keep getting asked a thousand times, but of course I'm not really sure how to make it since most of the time everyone has a differing opinion on how to fix someones problem.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Get rid of all this infraction, warning, THREAD LOCK WATCH, banning stuff. We are a bunch of reasonably intelligent adults here, I think we can take care of ourselves.

Other than that, SAS is great.

·
Banned
728 Posts
One thing that makes me uncomfortable is seeing new members - with 0 posts - in chat, because it seems as though they're only there for that. Usually, they're always in chat and never on the forums, and I just really don't like the idea of that.

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to only allows members over a certain number of posts, say 25 or 50, access to the chatroom?

Sorry if this isn't possible, but I just thought i'd mention it :)

And alot of guys seem to only be there to chat up other members.

Its so annoying.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Get rid of all this infraction, warning, THREAD LOCK WATCH, banning stuff. We are a bunch of reasonably intelligent adults here, I think we can take care of ourselves.

Other than that, SAS is great.
Anarchy? Nice!

·
Registered
154,233 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
in regards to chat, say if you deleted your posts and had a low post count, or for some reason you prefer to use the chat... your gonna ban that person from chat now because their post count is low? why not make it so you can see who is in the chat before you go in, or create some more rooms?

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
1)

Stop banning everyone.
Agree. There has go to be a better system than this "warning/infraction" system. I can understand people being banned for flagrant abuse of the guidelines. I can understand them being banned for continually posting unacceptable messages. But I don't think warnings/infractions are the way to go.

We have a lot of members here who post regularly and 99% of their posts are perfectly acceptable. But then they make a post that's unacceptable and they get a warning. Worse posts get infractions. And they never expire. Then they all add up and the person can be banned for a week? Even though 99% of the time, their posts are perfectly fine.

Then it's announced to the whole board that the person has been banned right underneath their name. For someone with SA that's more than just embarrassing.

Sometimes it's easier to just delete the offensive post. If it keeps up in the thread, post a thread lock warning and tell everyone to knock it off. If it doesn't cool down, lock the thread. But don't punish the person, unless it's an ongoing problem. In that case, ban them permanently.

There's no need to walk on eggshells on this board and I feel like I'm doing that a lot of the time. This board is a lot more conservative than I am and I've received warnings for things I consider to be perfectly harmless. Just delete the post and tell me to knock it off and then I know for next time. Instead, I'm branded with this stigma and labeled a horrible person. (Maybe that's not the intention, but I have SA and that's how it makes me feel. It doesn't help at all.)

2) Make more parts of the board private. It seems that there are a lot of people who have problems with how public the board is and I'm not the only one. Just leave the Recovery sections open, so newbies can see how it all works. I think you can get a really good feel from the boards if you read these sections. Let them know that if they register, they'll be able to see more sections. I found SAS in a search engine when it was more private. I go to a music message board and the whole thing is private - you have to be registered to even view it. Yet, I still found that on a search engine. There are ways of compromising and doing this in a way that works for everyone. The newbies who are looking for help need to know what's going on and they have SA, so maybe they're scared to register before they look around, but the people who stick around after registering have SA too.

Anyway, I don't know if you'll enact any of this, but you asked and it's worth a shot.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
1)

Agree. There has go to be a better system than this "warning/infraction" system. I can understand people being banned for flagrant abuse of the guidelines. I can understand them being banned for continually posting unacceptable messages. But I don't think warnings/infractions are the way to go.

We have a lot of members here who post regularly and 99% of their posts are perfectly acceptable. But then they make a post that's unacceptable and they get a warning. Worse posts get infractions. And they never expire. Then they all add up and the person can be banned for a week? Even though 99% of the time, their posts are perfectly fine.

Then it's announced to the whole board that the person has been banned right underneath their name. For someone with SA that's more than just embarrassing.

Sometimes it's easier to just delete the offensive post. If it keeps up in the thread, post a thread lock warning and tell everyone to knock it off. If it doesn't cool down, lock the thread. But don't punish the person, unless it's an ongoing problem. In that case, ban them permanently.

There's no need to walk on eggshells on this board and I feel like I'm doing that a lot of the time. This board is a lot more conservative than I am and I've received warnings for things I consider to be perfectly harmless. Just delete the post and tell me to knock it off and then I know for next time. Instead, I'm branded with this stigma and labeled a horrible person. (Maybe that's not the intention, but I have SA and that's how it makes me feel. It doesn't help at all.)

2) Make more parts of the board private. It seems that there are a lot of people who have problems with how public the board is and I'm not the only one. Just leave the Recovery sections open, so newbies can see how it all works. I think you can get a really good feel from the boards if you read these sections. Let them know that if they register, they'll be able to see more sections. I found SAS in a search engine when it was more private. I go to a music message board and the whole thing is private - you have to be registered to even view it. Yet, I still found that on a search engine. There are ways of compromising and doing this in a way that works for everyone. The newbies who are looking for help need to know what's going on and they have SA, so maybe they're scared to register before they look around, but the people who stick around after registering have SA too.

Anyway, I don't know if you'll enact any of this, but you asked and it's worth a shot.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
That's exactly the purpose of the Infractions and Warnings. It let's people know that a particular post has stepped over the line and if they continue with similar posts that they will end up banned. When reviewing Infractions to see if a ban is warranted we generally disregard Infractions if they are a month or more in the past. We might check the older Infractions to see if they had been warned for the same reasons as the current ones. The majority of people banned for Multiple Infractions get them in a very short period of time.

This is off topic so let's get back to more ideas for the improvement of the board.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.