Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Phyciatrist prescribed me Zoloft. Can anyone who has taken it tell me about their experience with it? Did it help much? What side effects did you have on it?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Zoloft was the first SSRI I took for Depression, OCD, and SA. It helped somewhat with most of my conditions, I could say it decreased the SA significantly, by 50-60%, It didn't help as much for depression, even less so for OCD. I should mention, I was on 300mg/day, which is a very high dose. It decreased SA significantly for 2-3 months, then it stopped working, so I switched to another SSRI (then another, then another, ect. Lol). Side effects were consistent with those reported by a majority of people, : Apathy (very bad), reduced energy/motivation (significant), and other effects which weren't too bad.

Like many SSRIs, Zoloft can reduce anxiety, If you can tolerate the side effects. I didn't like the side effects, but I was on a Large Dose (300mg)....It seems like SSRIs will help some people (and they don't get many negative Side effects), but for others, SSRIs are completely ineffective. Then theres the people who find SSRIs helpful, but the negative side effects outweigh the benefits.

Nevertheless, out of all the SSRIs I tried, Zoloft was by far the best, and most effective, with the least negative side effects.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
It made me hyper and I had panic attacks which I've only had once not on meds. Same with paxil except it was worse to the point I was shaking. That was on the lowest starting dose.

Really everyone reacts to these things so differently there's no way to know what to expect. You just have to try it. Sometimes it takes trying a lot of meds to find anything that works for you.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
My experience was that it doesn't work for me. And it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. I went up to 300 mg and my trial lasted for a full 13 week. 20,000 mg later, still no positive results.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I recently went back on Zoloft (50 mg) after struggling with mood swings and falling into a pretty serious depression. Several months ago I had reached a point where I thought I could stop taking it.

It doesn't solve everything, but it does help to lessen my anxiety and the accompanying depression. I still get anxious in social situations, but I don't worry about it as much.

It does give me an upset stomach at times, as well as having sexual side effects.

The thing to remember with SSRI's is that they all have varying degrees of effectiveness, depending on your own unique physiology. It might help you out or you might have to try some other anti-depressant.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
The Pdoc was actually surprised because Zoloft is a bit on the stimulating side.
The trial data I've read shows Zoloft going both ways, producing sedation in some and insomnia in others, both at rates about twice as high as those getting placebo. I personally found it to be totally neutral in that regard.

Other than killing libido, it did nothing for me. The odd thing was that Zoloft did NOT cause anorgasmia like Paxil & Prozac both did. The cruel irony is that the ability to orgasm doesn't really matter when taking a drug like Zoloft that removes any interest in sex. Paxil: want to orgasm, but can't. Zoloft: can orgasm, but don't care too. Can anybody see why I'm not a fan of SSRIs?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I hated Zoloft. It made me very agitated and not right in the head. I didn't feel like myself for those few months and I even did something I wouldn't normally do. Getting to orgasm was a lot more difficult too. The urge was still there but it was hard to achieve.

I suppose it helped in the sense that I realized popping a pill wasn't necessarily the answer for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
go to high dose(200mg). zoloft at low dose is not something surprising. at high dose you have some dopaminergic effect too.
propranolol+zoloft is great.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been on zoloft and prozac

At first, zoloft made me extremely unnaturally happy, I couldn't help but smile it was strange ( that doesn't sound bad but trust me it was weird, it would probably be like being high but I have never done that, so I don't know if that's the right comparison) but I would still get anxious on it.

It was more noticeable whilst I was anxious but both Zoloft and prozac restricted my heart rate from getting fast, so I gained weight. I have decided to go the natural route for now, but there's probably meds that you can go on that won't do that.

It's a tough call to make, so I hope you find something that works well for you, but it is good that you are researching into it.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Try 200 mg, I'm on this current dose. It is helping me slowly but surely, but it is helping and thats a step in the right direction. 50 mg isn't anything, i might up my dosage to 250 for the next couple months and see how it helps

·
Registered
204 Posts
I recently tried taking it again after thinking I needed to. It worked for me the first time(to counteract this baldness drug that I reacted badly to) , but now it just makes me an insomniac and I really don't need more hours awake worrying about what the following day will bring. Check out The Linden Method, I really think medication is not the best way to go for most people with anxiety. Meds are not necessary in my humble opinion unless you can't leave the house of your own free will. Spend your money on tai chi or something natural to calm you down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been on 200 mg of Zoloft and didn't do much for my SA. The side effects were really bad:insomnia, mood swings, increase in suicidal thoughts and made me very tired.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Zoloft pooped out on me after one year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts