Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shyness is a phenomena which does inevitably affect everyone at one point or another in their lives. It affects some people to a much greater extent than others, but the reasons for this are not completely understood. Why do we feel shy, or awkward in certain situations and not others? What is the experience of shyness caused by? Is the experience of shyness actually as much of a hindrance in life as is commonly thought? These are some of the questions I hope to provide a greater understanding of.

I am a third year Sociology student at the University of Sussex. I am currently undertaking a research project as part of my final year, which simply involves answering a few questions about your experience of shyness. There has been so little research published about this social phenomena, which affects so many people, and for a great deal of individuals causes life altering turmoil and confusion. This study has passed university ethical approval, which means that participating has been deemed to hold no significant risk to any involved.

I am looking for individuals to volunteer to participate in this study. For ethical reasons I cannot accept anyone who is under the age of 16 years. Participation in this study simply involves answering a number of questions as fully as you feel comfortable to. Interviews can either take place via e-mail or Skype chat; whichever is most convenient for you. All information you provide will be held securely and anonymously.

If you are interested in participating, or simply wish to find out more information, please either leave a message below and your e-mail address, or feel free to e-mail me privately at [email protected].

Whatever your experience of shyness is or has been, your participation will be much appreciated. I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Duncan Scott

[email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
I dont really like posting my email here but I can do it via skype if you still need people my skye is the same as my username here or just pm me

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've heard shyness and anxiety are two different things...I don't know exactly how people with shyness feel (it may be their personality), but anxiety is more of a phobia. I feel the study should be stated clearer...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've heard shyness and anxiety are two different things...I don't know exactly how people with shyness feel (it may be their personality), but anxiety is more of a phobia. I feel the study should be stated clearer...
I agree with this, shyness and anxiety are not the same thing and equally, are perceived by non-sufferers differently.

I dislike the term 'shy' when it is used in the context of social anxiety symptoms because it implies that social anxiety is not a real illness and need not be taken seriously.

I think shyness could potentially develop into social anxiety but that it is possibly something less severe or debilitating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.