Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im afraid this post might get under-appreciated by the people who need it, so Im going to be thorough.

I used to suffer severely from social phobia, and panic disorder. I tried CBT, meditation, lexapro, zoloft, beta blockers, EMDR, ativan, xanax, xanax xr, saffron, kava.. etc. etc.. Some of them helped, some of them didnt.

I did find something that completely cured me. And I found this out because someone else who was cured this way told me about it. People who are automatic naysayers and those who ingest only substances that the government tells you to no matter what I tell you here, well.. you might as well just quit reading now.

The no sh*t cure all to SA is to arrange to have about 7 - 10 separate sessions of smoking pot while on a benzodiazapine. I do not jest.

In a nutshell I suppose it works like this (and this is a good thought to have going into it).. anyone that has smoked pot could probably relate to the idea that for an unexperienced smoker, part of the possible euphoria is missing because the user is worried about how high they are, whether everything is ok, etc., basically anxiety. No matter who you are, you smoke enough in one sitting and you can find yourself bouncing off the rev- limiter in your head that separates a normal moment from being an anxiety attack moment. This is true for any flavor of anxiety or social phobia - there is always that mental tripline that a person goes over that causes the situation to go to far.
Xanax (or klono or ativan if you have that is fine) makes a panic attack all but impossible while it is active in you - so the pot loses any subconcious threat, and becomes something without even the slightest threat.
The synergy between them is what allows the magic to work.. and its not just taking both of them together (which some here may have already done many times), its taking them both and then starting the self therapy homework of self analyzing and thinking about your situation, and really observing it, and where you want to be instead. You cant just take both and watch a movie. It doesnt work like that.
By having xanax remove the fear of anxiety while high, it changes from being a potentially "scary" situation to think deeply about yourself, and instead becomes a way to indulge in it and let the pot help carry you right past and through your fears and apprehensions. Its like exposure therapy while having a lifeline attached to you. Spending the time by yourself like that considering your situation with much determination, I am convinced can cure you. It has me and it has the one other I heard it from.
email me if any questions. i hope i did not sound like a know it all or a sales charlatain. I just saw your forum and wanted to help.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Really? I've never really thought of this as a "cure" for anxiety, but thinking life problems through while on both might have some theraputic effects. I smoked pot with Ativan before and felt really great so maybe I should give this another try.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do you recommend sativa or indica dominant strains and at what 'dose' should we be trying to reach (over what sort of time)? And what's the prescribed period between 'sessions'?

I think it could be interesting.. sounds sort of like the LSD experiences/mind shifting idea, perhaps a bit more tame.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rawrboy - yeah im serious. as far as being a cure, thats why I almost put it in 'Therapy' instead of here. although it involves drugs, its mostly a mental exercise. the drugs are just a vehicle. in other words, i agree, i dont think pot itself is the cure either.

busterbluth - If a person has a choice I'd go for a named Indica strain. either way nothing cheap that would just result in a headache and distract you..
As for dose, I cant really give you that.. What I can tell you though is the mental cookbook for success. And that is to go into it like I describe above. you need to have enough benzo in you to extinguish even the possibility of an anxious episode. on the other hand you dont want to fall asleep. Its your lifeline so you want it to be strong. And you need to smoke "enough". Enough to where you are able to get deep in your thoughts, but not so much you blow past the xanax. This will work itself out though.
Dive into it serious like you would meditation. What youre basically doing is kindling a tiny spark into a tiny light of a fire in yourself (mentally) of courage (could be social courage, or any fear). And that light was started by yourself, not some therapist. And you will end up accomplishing the task just by deciding to look into yourself and try. And that whole light scenario will be something you can remember when you are sober, and also keep growing upon in each session. Eventually you will have something tangible, and reliable within yourself that will give you the courage to find within yourself, to blow right through your social barricades just like everyone else does. Its basically comes down to growing confidence.
The above is going to make varying amounts of sense to people based on if/how much you've ever smoked. Very little sense until you are "there". It reads funny to me sober also, but its very effective. Once on the benzo/pot method though you will really understand how to make progress yourself rather than rely on meds and therapists.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yah, I hear what you saying and this kind of drug combo aimed at 'assisted meditation' may well help some people. I think just being on SSRI's and other relatively common psych drugs can offer comparable mind altering perceptions to how we view reality. Adderall probably had more of a world changing alteration on the clarity with which I view my thoughts and reality than any other drug I have done.

However I do not believe at all that this kind of potential therapy is a guaranteed cure. We all react differently to chemicals/substances like SSRI's, just like we all react uniquely to weed and benzos. One, or both of these drugs could effect some people in unpleasant ways which may even make their confidence and mood worse in the long run.

I'm not trying to shoot this bit of advice down. It just certainly isn't a panacea for all forms of social anxiety. The 'cause' of social phobia I believe can originate from many different mechanisms of the brain or environmental factors. Social phobia is a poorly understood disorder like most all the rest, but social phobia is especially abstract because you can have cases where a person experiences absolutely no anxiety, has tons of confidence, but still just dreads being around people because they experience no joy from it. Again, while I think this idea would be a great one for dealing with certain kinds of specific anxiety provoking situations or perhaps a underdeveloped sense of self confidence, social anxiety is a lot more varied and complicated a disorder which can't be expected to always be treated or aided positively by one catch all drug combo.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
May work for some, but i do know it wont work for me. The best substance to think about yourself is LSD tough, if psylogical issues are a big part of your anxiety, LSD could do wonders.
Be carefull with it tough, it was the wort experience of my life, but it had alot of benefits for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've tried this approach in the past and it did not work. Certainly didn't "cure" anything.
I personally get very paranoid and self-conscious when I smoke weed in the first place. Benzos make it a much better experience, but doesn't cure my SA the next day.
Just my experience, my .2 cents.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wouldn't say it's the "end all, be all"... the title is a bit misleading.

Weed can help some people with anxiety... it can also make people freak the **** out. It's good to know your personal limits and preferences.

If weed and ativan really was a cure, I think I'd be cured by now. I've smoked pot almost every day for the last three years and I'm still the nervous piece of **** that I was in the beginning.

Check out this message board for more stuff on medical marijuana... some very helpful threads on here, especially if you're wondering about medical usage in your specific state.

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Lol, I'm glad you found something that worked. I'd be careful with pushing your idea on other people though. Some people have very bad reactions to weed. Admittedly I've never tried the combination fo benzo and weed, but even still, I can't imagine I would get the same results you did. When I smoke weed, I just want to goof off and play games. Maybe I'm not as disciplined as you.

I know what you mean about smoking with friends. It can be a good way to connect and gain some greater insight into yourself. But be prepared for some hateful responses (most of which will probably be deleted).

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
May give you some insight but certainly won't cure you. Alcohol might be a better choice than benzodiazepines by the way.
Yeah when I used to smoke I used to drink with it alot, as far as I'm aware I'm still as anxious as I ever was. I don't think that it's a good cure for anxiety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts