Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Hmmmmm I don't think I've had that one SAID to me before. I know people think it though - the evidence is pretty clear when people suddenly become unavailable, leave me out of things, or disappear from my life outright. Oh well, can't please everyone (or anyone it seems!).

Anyway I'm sure the guy meant you no harm, but it's still an awfully inconsiderate thing to say, especially in front of other people.. and in the work place to boot. That must have been a very ****ty experience. Some people don't think before they speak.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'm guessing nicknames are meant to pigeonhole people based on one particular quirk they might have. So what he's really having trouble with is sticking you into some oversimplified category. I'd say that's a good thing! :)

You have personality. Everyone has personality. He just doesn't know you. I'd ignore his comment.

·
P4
1,238 Posts
My MUM says I need more personality D:
And yes it's very irritating, although she also says that when she was my age she was also bland and uninteresting... but should it make her more understanding rather than forceful? Uggh...
I've had people call me boring too, people I just met mostly, which I immediately translate to being bland, unemotional, and personality-less. :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
**** that. I've never had that happen to me, but that sounds like something that would happen to me. Don't dwell on it though, when he says "personality" all he means is extroversion. Sadly, most people probably don't understand the difference.

Next time, try to think of something ballsy to say and say it. Even if it doesn't mesh with your personality. I've learned from experience that sometimes dealing with people requires you to pretend to be something you're not.

It sucks that you should even have to, but in the long run, it will save you a lot of embarrassment and headaches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My nickname at the majority of my jobs has been Lead B**ch.
Whatever, I've learned to voice my opinions and I know the most efficient way to get things done.

So as you can see, nicknames (or lack of them) aren't the end of the world. Think of a witty comeback you can use for the next time he puts you down.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
You should have said you thought of a nickname for him: *******.
That might backfire if people are "crowding around him". If he's in their good books already and you call him an *******, my guess is you'd be more likely to earn that nickname rather than him.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
That might backfire if people are "crowding around him". If he's in their good books already and you call him an *******, my guess is you'd be more likely to earn that nickname rather than him.
Well, of course it will. The biggest jerk in the room is usually really good at what he does best and will have a comeback for anything you could possibly say (He's undoubtedly had many years of practice and has actually come up against some people who actually gave him a run for his crown). And everyone else will naturally side with him because they don't want to be on the receiving end of his crap any more than anyone else does.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Reminds me of my Mom said to me before don't care what ppl think regards to your personality.. I don't know what exactly she meant by that lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's an incredibly rude thing to tell someone... regardless if it's said jokingly or not. I've never had that said to me, but I've had similar experiences with those types of people. It's just garble from people who always have to be the center of attention, but still extremely hurtful.

·
Registered
105 Posts
well screw him is what i say, its not like he knows you, **** you could be the most outgoing and funny guy outside of work and he wouldnt even know it because hes so stuck up his own *** to actually talk to you like a human being and try to get a real sense as to what your personality is. so idk **** him your there to work, i work with guys like this all the time, there was this one guy who was going on about how the day needs to be over so he can go take his happy pills and the other guy is like you should give rick some because he never smiles. yeah i never smile at work because theres nothing to smile about there, but outside of work around those i actually care about its a whole different story. sorry i ranted on for a bit, but yeah screw him, its not like he signs your paychecks, your there to make a living just like everyone else.

·
Registered
716 Posts
This thread lacks personality...

JK! JK!

Seriously though, I don't see the big deal. Obviously people don't know your personality if you don't open up to them. I don't see what's so shocking.

If you have S.A., chances are people have never seen any personality from you or they've seen a fake personality. It doesn't mean you don't have a personality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts