Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
However, they only gave a mere pittance to your brother. - He did'nt have a close relationship with them,this was his choice by the way. In the interest of good family relations,do you make sure he has the same amount as you? Or do you feel he dug his own grave and must now suffer the consequences? I must admit I'd be fair to him but probably would have to fight my greedy feelings in order to do it. What about you??

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I'd be the brother who didn't have a close relationship with the parents and gets left out of the will. :(

That's ok, my sisters really deserve it more than I do... really.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coldmorning- I'm in the same future unfunded boat as you!! shyvr6-You're one of those all around good guys,are'nt you?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
When my father died the distribution was equal between his three sons. Was this fair? No, but I was stupid at the time. My drunken jerk of a brother got just as much as me. My doormat of a brother who acted as nothing but a conduit to transfer money to his wife that was clearly spawned by Satan got just as much as me. Did they deserve equal shares? Hell no!

The door mat is dead, so he managed to escape being married to Satan's daughter.

The drunken jerk I've seen twice in the last 2.5 years and he can go f*** himself. If I die before him he's going to have a big surprise. Due to my near-total inability to make decisions he's still beneficiary to some of my assets (though I intend to remove him as beneficiary from everything). Back in April he was removed as beneficiary to my largest account currently valued at a bit over $800,000. He won't be happy if he ever finds that out, and he'll be even less happy when he finds out his replacement.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I only have one younger brother and our parents are divorced, but if the wills weren't evenly split in regards to inheritance, I'd make it so. My brother is the one more likely to have a family of his own, anyway.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
My ungrateful, two-faced brown noser of a brother would get nothin' from me.

I'd be the brother who didn't have a close relationship with the parents and gets left out of the will. :(
EXACTLY, same here. In fact it already happened somewhat. My grandmother had some money saved up for my brother and me once we turned 20 or so, and she decided to give it all to my brother after I dropped out of college due to anxiety. I hear that he spent that money buying booze and restaurant meals for his little fair-weather college buddies. Not that I deserve anything, it's just that I would've at least used mine to pay off part of the damned college loan.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Yes I'd share it with him and my other brother too!

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Depends on my relationship with him and if he honestly needed the money.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
well if he wasn't a total douchebag i'd definitely share it with him. if we hated each other, we wouldn't be on speaking terms most likely.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Well, my brother is only 15. He'd throw the money away if he had the chance to. I would keep the money they gave me but I'd spend some on him, trying to take care of my family after my parents are gone. I'd try be responsible about it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have half siblings on my dad's side...so if my dad left me all his money (pocket change I'm sure) then I'd run of and hide so no one would bug me LOL

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
For all the times they've irritated me, and for all the mistakes they've made, they're my brothers and I love them dearly, so, yes, I would give them an equal amount of the inheritance.

To be honest, I think if I came into money i'd lose it all before too long. I can't help but think that if I won the lottery, or came into money some other way, that I would give a lot to the people who have shown me kindness in my life. That includes members of my family, and a handful of people I work with. It might be a silly thing to do, but I couldn't be rich and leave the people I care about behind to carry on having to work for a living - i'd want them to share in my good fortune.

·
Lost
275 Posts
My brother is very good to me, for the most part :b I'd make sure he got the same amount as me, definitely :yes

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
First I'd wonder where the hell my parents have been hiding that money all this time. Then I'd give my brother(which I don't have) a lot of **** about it. Then I'd give him some, though not necessarily half.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
However, they only gave a mere pittance to your brother. - He did'nt have a close relationship with them,this was his choice by the way. In the interest of good family relations,do you make sure he has the same amount as you? Or do you feel he dug his own grave and must now suffer the consequences? I must admit I'd be fair to him but probably would have to fight my greedy feelings in order to do it. What about you??
I am pretty close to being in that situation. My father dies (miss him!) in January 2007 and he had his estate and life insurance. He wanted it split evenly between my brother and I, but my brother did not want to seem to work for it. I actually found out later that it was depression. Everything is split in half, but in all honesty, I don't want to even think about the inheritance. I just know it's there; my goal is to make it on my own with my money - and I have done one H of a job since then - I am doing things I never thought I could do!

Chances are good that I won't touch that money, and I won't let my brother touch his share either - it's locked away for a dire emergency.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Chances are good that I won't touch that money, and I won't let my brother touch his share either - it's locked away for a dire emergency.
How do you have control over money that your brother inherited?:stu

Is it locked away in some type of trust with you as trustee? Given your age I'd assume your brother is an adult, so I don't see how you can keep him from getting at his money.

I'm no expert on trusts (as I have no personal experience with them), but I know there are what are known as "spendthrift trusts" that are used by parents who have a kid(s) that they don't trust with money such as a drug addict who they know would be dead within the week if they got a million dollars to spend on heroin. The trustee will give them money little by little so they can't do anything too stupid. Though no individual would want to be the trustee of one as they'd have a junkie on their doorstep daily begging/demanding more money.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I love my brother. He would get half.

Although I don't really care about money, so long as I have enough of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts