Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been starting to play a bit. I found out there have tournaments for different ratings. I haven't studied the game yet and don't know If I should make such a commitment but I have been playing online a bit and mostly losing. I just found out they have chess nights at a local bookstore. I may go but I might actually have to socialize too much for my comfort. I wonder If I'll be the creepy loner there or if everyone there is a geek. Shoot maybe I'll feel more comfortable there. I'm probably further sabotaging my dating prospects If I join a chess club though.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I can play chess - interesting game.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
www.chess.com

I play chess for a few weeks until I get completely frustrated by my inability to play a game without making a blunder. By the end of those weeks I can build a good distribution of my pieces, putting the other guy on the run, defending their pieces, until I make a fatal mistake that either balances the game out (which disappoints me and I just want to quickly end the game) or completely turns the table against me. After those weeks I go months without playing (currently), annoyed by my stupidity and inability to concentrate no matter how hard I try.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I will play you. My elo rating is abysmal, but I still like to play. PM me for my name on chess.com

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
I used to. I loved it as a kid. Then my mum signed me up for some chess club that my n00b school friend and her brother were already in. It sucked, mainly because they actually formally taught you "techniques" and expected you to grid out pieces to fill in "sequences" of gameplay on these inane worksheets. Completely took the fun out of it.

I played by myself most of the time. I know it sounds stupid, but I didn't have anyone who was really interested in playing. I'd play with my father when he came to visit sometimes, but no offense, he wasn't much of a challenge and whenever he lost he became really butthurt. He'd whine or give me the silent treatment or refuse to play anymore games with me (yes...he's very competitive, even when recreationally playing games with his child. lame). I'd always ask my sisters to play, but they'd just opt for checkers since they "didn't understand chess" and though it was boring even though I offered to teach them (I did get them to play stratego a few times though, which is arguably as fun as chess). I played with my grandpa a couple times at his house when I visited on holidays, too. We were pretty evenly matched. Notably, his chess set was themed after WWII, so all the pieces were different types of soldiers, a military drummer, flag stands (for the rooks), and of course royalty. It looked really expensive and I was always afraid about scuffing the board when I moved pieces or accidentally knocking the porcelain figures off the table, causing them to shatter.

I played chess online for a little while a couple years ago, but it got boring and frustrating because people just leave randomly mid game, and the site I was using had a timer that would automatically make you forfeit if you went afk too long for one turn.

I haven't played a good game of chess in a while. Sucks. I have, like, 5 different chess boards at home (including one mini magnetized one, which is portable for bumpy car rides).

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I always bring the queen and pals out too early as if I have a dastardly plan like Bobby Fischer, but without any plan at all.
When others do that is when I feel inadequate because I know that's a clear mistake and I was unable to pin the queen and take it. So they would mess my initial positioning of the pieces without me taking the damn queen. :\

·
Registered
740 Posts
yeah dat' thug chess life!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a frustrating day of winning on pieces but getting checkmated or ending in draws. My SA may make me skip out on the local chess night tomorrow night.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
Chess has absolutely nothing on Go or Shogi.

·
Registered
740 Posts
you should go!

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I used to play online more in the past. Sometimes on rare occasions I play with my girlfriend. She slaughters me in most board games :(

·
6,040 Posts
I was never taught how to play it properly. Something I sometimes regret. I have tried to play a bit online but I suck at it. I have played a few times with someone I used to talk to. She was taught the game in school. She kicked my *** so badly that I never played it again.

I don't think I would be really good at it even if someone would teach me. I just get lost into details and forget the big picture.

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
I used to play chess with my dad years ago. But this is not something for my type of intellect, I admit. And this reminds me of "One night in Bangkok" song somehow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts