Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myth: If I get the shot, I will get the flu.

Truth:No, you can't get the flu from dead virus. This is a common misconception.

You can however still have a chance of getting the flu, NOT because you got the shot, but because the strain of flu you got was not in the vaccine. :D

I'd rather have the shot and take the chance it won't work. The last two years I had the shot and though I had some bad illnesses they were nothing like the terrible flu.

Don't be afraid to get the shot.

I posted this because I get tired of when some think the shot gives it to you. You can't anymore get the flu from the vaccine than a dog get rabies from a rabies shot.

It's a vaccine-dead, killed. :D

I have heard that there is an inhaled kind of vaccine in which they say it has live flu. I won't take my chances with that, however. That is totally different.

You are responsible for your health and what you do is up to you. If you are truthfully against the vaccine then don't go against your own judgement.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Good post.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I make sure to get a flu shot every year due to my asthma, this year I will get a swine flu shot as well.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Then why is it that every time I have ever gotten a flu shot, I have gotten sick a few days later? Fever, nausea etc. Sounds like the flu to me.

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
This is embarrassing but I'm a bit of a tinfoil hat type. I can't let myself read govt conspiracy theories as I start to believe them. I read a bunch of Alex Jones stuff about how swine flu was cooked up in a US lab so that FEMA can detain people and control them and that the vaccine is designed to make people sicker. I know it's ridiculous but it freaks me out. I'm not even American. *facepalm*

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
"The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are:

* Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
* Fever (low grade)
* Aches

If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last 1 to 2 days. Almost all people who receive influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it."

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/protect/keyfacts.htm

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Since I work in a health care facility, they are pushing to get TWO flu shots; the regular one and the H1N1 shot. I am opting to get only the regular one. I will take my chances not getting the newer one. I dont like the idea of it because it hasnt been researched well enough.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Then why is it that every time I have ever gotten a flu shot, I have gotten sick a few days later? Fever, nausea etc. Sounds like the flu to me.
You were likely infected before you developed immunity, which takes about 3 weeks to reach full effect post inoculation.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
You can never get the SAME strain as the one you had twice. If it mutates even slightly, then you can catch that virus, not the original.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
^ Which brings to mind: The influenza shot doesn't cover all strains --- just usually 3 of the predicted common ones.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
I have heard that there is an inhaled kind of vaccine in which they say it has live flu. I won't take my chances with that, however. That is totally different.
It is live but weakened and has little risk of causing infection in a healthy adult with a normally working immune system. It provides wider immunity than inactivated vaccines that are given as shots because as it is inhaled it has access to the "gut lining" / mucous membranes and thus is capable of inducing formation of gut antibodies (IgA) unlike injected vaccine that only causes the body to produce one kind of antibody (IgG).

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14891706

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
i dont get the flu shot. i hardly get sick anyway. also before we went to basic training, we all received the flu shot and several soldiers got a bit sick. id rather take my chances with not getting the shot

·
Registered
603 Posts
People are concerned about the neurological disorders that are linked to flu vaccines, not of getting the flu itself. 30 years ago there was a massive vaccination campaign against a Swine Flu strain, and side effects of the vaccine killed more people than the virus itself. Additionally, anytime the government tells everyone to get a shot that was just cooked up it is normal to have second thoughts.

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
Yeah, Even my daughters pediatrician says that a flu shot can give you flu like symptoms. She doesn't even get her kids a flu shot. Doesn't seem all that great or all that safe to me. Ive never gotten one of these shots but based on what other people tell me and especially my daughters doctor- I don't agree with the original post.

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
This is embarrassing but I'm a bit of a tinfoil hat type. I can't let myself read govt conspiracy theories as I start to believe them. I read a bunch of Alex Jones stuff about how swine flu was cooked up in a US lab so that FEMA can detain people and control them and that the vaccine is designed to make people sicker. I know it's ridiculous but it freaks me out. I'm not even American. *facepalm*
I'm an American but I would believe that! I wouldn't doubt it a bit if they were actually trying to make people sick.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I haven't gotten a flu shot before this season (and I've never gotten the flu either), my mom managed to talk me into it so I got the shot. My arm was sore for almost two days but aside from that so far so good.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I've never had a flu shot, but I've been thinking about getting one. The media here, the people I know and the doctors I visit never seem to bring it up though... I find that kinda strange. I've had the flu before and I've never really worried about getting it. I mostly think of getting a shot as protecting others around me that might not cope with it as well (like my mother and grandmother), rather than myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts