Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I had my doubts about it. Exercise never did anything to reduce my anxiety, so how would yoga be any different?
Well, I was wrong. It does help if you can stick to a daily routine. I started practicing yoga (on and off) over a year ago and at times it's really the only thing that could bring my anxiety down. Especially when I really try to focus on my breathing. I think that's the key element. The trouble is that it works wonders when I'm not overly stressed, but when I have a ton of added stress, my routine falls apart. Especially when I have a very stressful job. This time I want to stick with it though, because I do see results. I think the more you do it, the easier it gets to bring your heart rate down.

I'm curious to find out how many people have tried it, and if so, did it help?

-SADSpirit

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started with groups but eventually dropped that because I was too self-conscious at the time. Now I just pop in a DVD. It's still yoga, without the added anxiety. Even better. I like the Gaiam series. They have some good beginner videos. Once my anxiety is under control I would like to start classes again, though. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Insight Girl -- That's awesome! I'm glad to hear it works for you, too. To be honest, I tried different anxiety medications and they don't really take away the physical sensation of anxiety. Yoga helps me to focus on my breathing, I find. Even after a session. And you're right, people don't really stare at each other in yoga classes, but I'm just not ready for that yet...

Buggsy -- When I first started yoga I was very self-conscious, but there are usually beginners in every class... so you wouldn't be the only one. They even encourage you to go at your own pace.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Laurel -- I think that practicing yoga at home is just as effective. There are lots of benefits -- if you can stick to a routine. That's what I struggle with too... I guess some people find that going to a class motivates them, because of the structure, but right now I'm too self-consicous.

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brightpaperwarewolf-- Thanks! You're right... sometimes it does get frustrating when you can't get feedback. I'll definitely consider joining a class again soon. And it is a good way to socialize, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.