Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently heard on a podcast (Fitness Rocks) that yoga is very effective for treating depression, moreso than other types of exercise alone.

To get major benefits, apparently you have to do like 1.5 hours everyday. Who has time for that?! I have done yoga, but it is usually either 10 minutes most days of the week, or a long class once a week.

Does anyone have experience with yoga or tai chi (or anything else) they'd like to share?

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I took a yoga class last summer, and I found that it positively affected my mood and my nerves. My class consisted of two hour-long sessions a week, but that was enough for me. I don't think you need to do yoga for an hour and a half a day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've started doing yoga for 30 minutes in the morning, and I think it's helped my mood a lot. The practice of accepting my limitations while still pushing myself and relaxing in the midst of physical exertion is really helpful for me in a broader sense, and I find during the day I'll stop and focus on my breathing and try to find a sense of calm when I need it.

I don't think an hour and a half is necessary (it could be that whatever study it was had participants do yoga for an hour and a half, and they can only base their recommendations on that). Worth a try though - at the very least, you'll get the physical benefits :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found a good second hand book on Yoga yesterday 'The yoga handboo'k by Sumukhi Finney and while skimming through it I found these words which jumped out at me:

'To realise and experience our true nature we need to be able to control the mind, humble the ego and rise above our lower nature....people have different moods and temperaments and come from different cultural backgrounds .. one of the reasons why yoga has stood the test of time is that it takes this diversity into consideration...dedication to the practices from any one or a combination of the six paths of yoga will bring peace, helping you to gain and maintain your health and happiness...'

I bought the book. I can make the time to practice, hopefully it will become part of my daily routine. I prefer to practice yoga at home rather then join a group as you can fit it into any time of the day that suits you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am a firm believer when it comes to exercising to help relieve anxiety and depression. Yoga really does help you feel better. It also improves your performance during weight training and cardio workouts making you less susceptible to injuries.

Here are some videos that you might find interesting. You Tube has a bunch more. Just do a search on "yoga".

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are different parts to Yoga. The popular version is that of the physical exercise.

Breathing:
- There are breathing exercises called Pranayama which are awesome for depression and anxiety. They take about 10 minutes to do in the morning. They should be done on a empty stomach.
Now why do I think this rocks, it puts me in a trance, where I am at total peace and experience a silent buzz which puts me in a happy state with no worries. In other words it leads you into a meditative state.

Now, I have been practicing this for about 8 months. A side benefit is that you become fit and your face will glow from this.

- Yoga was created to prepare the body for mediation & go past the Ego/Mind. So that the body can remain still for hours and mind can stay away from distraction by useless thought cycles.

- Your personality will change slowly. Things like Anger, Envy, Greed etc are considered signs of a stale body/mind. Doing yoga will get you into a positive state. (Healthy, Kind, forgiving, Doing good etc)

So if you don't have time for the physical Yoga, do the breathing exercises (Pranayam)
for 10 mins everyday. Do it for 6 months and see how it transforms your life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts