Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start Friday the 25th.

It's a three day countdown.

No, not to the med - a three day countdown to where I won't be able to rub one out anymore. You know - depression, social anxiety disorder and OCD really suck - you add sexual dysfunction on top of that and man, that REALLY sucks.

Quick reminder - I'm titrating up to 300 mg (four days at 100, four on 200 and then 300) and then we will add Abilify 2 mg.

Anyway, once the Luvox trial fails with flying colors I'll bring up the amphetamines idea again - and this time I'll go in with my guns loaded.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
how do you know you won't be able to orgasm anymore?

i'm on 300mg/day of luvox and i can "rub one out" just fine.

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do you know you won't be able to orgasm anymore?

i'm on 300mg/day of luvox and i can "rub one out" just fine.
Because Luvox is an SSRI, and they're notorious for causing sexual dysfunction.

I've long said that if SSRIs treated depression as effectively as they bombed your sexual function, they'd be amazing medications.

OK, so I obviously don't know 100% I won't be able to orgasm. But that's sure as hell where I'm hedging my bets.

Has Luvox actually benefited you otherwise?

Once it fails I'm bringing up the amphetamines idea again with my pdoc and going in guns blazing. Figuratively, mind you.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
Because Luvox is an SSRI, and they're notorious for causing sexual dysfunction.

I've long said that if SSRIs treated depression as effectively as they bombed your sexual function, they'd be amazing medications.

OK, so I obviously don't know 100% I won't be able to orgasm. But that's sure as hell where I'm hedging my bets.

Has Luvox actually benefited you otherwise?

Once it fails I'm bringing up the amphetamines idea again with my pdoc and going in guns blazing. Figuratively, mind you.
yes, everyone knows about the high ssri/snri sexual dysfunction rates, although the side effect(s) don't affect nearly 100% of all patients taking a member of the class of drugs.

and yes, luvox has benefited me and so i continue to take it and such. it feels sort of similar to paxil for me with less lethargy and affective blunting, both of which were minimal on paxil anyhow - mentioned only because they just happened to be my only paxil side effects.

i've now taken all ssris sans viibryd. paxil and luvox have been the only two to have benefited me, although not as monotherapeutic treatments.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
I'm trying viibryd at the moment, but I would actually rather try luvox or get back on sertraline. I don't think viibryd is going to be any better for me than any of the other ssri I have tried.
viibryd has flopped in terms of both its sales and efficacy rates, hasn't it? i mean, i don't think there have been any studies that have proven it to hold any advantage over any of the other ssris despite its novel 5ht1a partial agonistic/antagonistic activity - the fda has certainly questioned the notion that the medication holds some advantage over the rest of the ssris. paxil + buspar, essentially, and buspar doesn't do very much of anything for a whole lot of people. that and viibryd causes gastrointestinal distress in many - anecdotally, anyway.

major loss for forest labs.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I haven't had any side effects. It doesn't seem any different than the other SSRI I have tried in the past. Doesn't seem to help with non-depression-related anxiety. My doc wanted me to try it partially for that reason, but I don't notice any difference. If anything it's probably mild.

I also heard buspar isn't really effective and don't really care to try it.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
I haven't had any side effects. It doesn't seem any different than the other SSRI I have tried in the past. Doesn't seem to help with non-depression-related anxiety. My doc wanted me to try it partially for that reason, but I don't notice any difference. If anything it's probably mild.

I also heard buspar isn't really effective and don't really care to try it.
right - that was the whole illustrating point of my post.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
I have sexual dysfunction, but escitalopram is making me progressively feel better. That's what's important for me. And I bet you won't like luvox. Reviews say it's quite useless for MD, plus I've read that is has been used for chemical castrating paedos.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
And I bet you won't like luvox. Reviews say it's quite useless for MD, plus I've read that is has been used for chemical castrating paedos.
misinformation.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
I have sexual dysfunction, but escitalopram is making me progressively feel better. That's what's important for me. And I bet you won't like luvox. Reviews say it's quite useless for MD, plus I've read that is has been used for chemical castrating paedos.
Dude, wtf? Why do so many people suggest that SSRI's are used to "Chemically castrate paedo's?"

@Yourfavoritestoner: I realize you're not even bothering with Luvox as you've mentioned in another thread.

Something I've thought about for a long time, even though I haven't taken any ssri's in a long time. I really don't understand why the sexual dysfunction is such a gigantic complaint among people who experience it on ssri's. Keep in Min that I was on SSRI's for over two tears and probably only ejaculated about a handful of times during that period. However being someone with severe anxiety and depression and trying to overcome those obstacles honestly having sex or masturbating was at the bottom of my to-do list. I've noticed that a lot of people on this forum who complain the most about the ssri-induced sexual dysfunction are people like me who are practically completely agoraphobic and don't have much of a sex-life at all. I understand that sexuality and sexual desire varies from person to person, I guess I just don't understand why it is such a complaint amongst people with severe disorders. I understand that people with mild anxiety/depression who are able to be in intimate relationships would really be bothered by this side effect. But in my opinion if you are able to have sexual relationships, how severe can your social anxiety be? It doesn't seem like you would even need to turn to to medication. Just my thoughts and I would be interested to hear what others think on the subject.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For some people, sexual side effects can be more harmful than just because of the enjoyment of sex. It can be a relationship breaker. In my case, after struggling years with my shyness and etc, I finally got in a relationship with a girl which I was very much in love with. But, I was taking Prozac during that time and this produced lots of sexual side effects, including an almost complete anorgasmia. This was fatal for the relationship, and it finally broke down.

If you aspire to get in a love relationship, sometimes sexual side effects can be a hindrance, which can then disrupt even more the mental condition.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
For some people, sexual side effects can be more harmful than just because of the enjoyment of sex. It can be a relationship breaker. In my case, after struggling years with my shyness and etc, I finally got in a relationship with a girl which I was very much in love with. But, I was taking Prozac during that time and this produced lots of sexual side effects, including an almost complete anorgasmia. This was fatal for the relationship, and it finally broke down.

If you aspire to get in a love relationship, sometimes sexual side effects can be a hindrance, which can then disrupt even more the mental condition.
Yeah, I get that, but someone with severe social anxiety wouldn't be getting in a serious relationship in te first place. At least in my experience. I can't even maintain a friendship, let alone an intimate relationship. I have never found SSRI's useful so I don't take them and don't have any sexual problems, but it seems to me that a person who could start, maintain and be comfortable in an intimate relationship either is "cured of their SA enough to get by with SSRI's, doesn't need SSRI's in the first place and also let's not forget that there are many many many medical options besides SSRI's and drugs such as Buspar and Wellbutrin that will not only augment an SSRI but also get rid of the sexual dysfunction.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Seriously, don't get why he's so bent on spreading false propaganda. It's like luvox killed his family or something.
Not really. I do not even think that luvox or solvay have something to do with the columbine shooting. Years ago wikipedia reported that far off-label use of fluvoxamine, talk about chemical castration, but then they removed such text. Try serching on a internet wayback machine, I think that was on wikipedia back in 2009. BTW it's the amount of serotonin flowing in our brain that causes sexual dysfunction, and not only sexual dysfunction but also detachment from romance and relationships in general, but it's sort of a catch 22 because a person suffering from MD and SA would hardly get involved in a love a story and generally has no true friends.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Something I've thought about for a long time, even though I haven't taken any ssri's in a long time. I really don't understand why the sexual dysfunction is such a gigantic complaint among people who experience it on ssri's.
it's the main complaint indeed... just take a look at the wellbutrin xl website, the med is being promoted not mainly for curing MD effectively but for having no sexual side effects.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Not really. I do not even think that luvox or solvay have something to do with the columbine shooting. Years ago wikipedia reported that far off-label use of fluvoxamine, talk about chemical castration, but then they removed such text. Try serching on a internet wayback machine, I think that was on wikipedia back in 2009. BTW it's the amount of serotonin flowing in our brain that causes sexual dysfunction, and not only sexual dysfunction but also detachment from romance and relationships in general, but it's sort of a catch 22 because a person suffering from MD and SA would hardly get involved in a love a story and generally has no true friends.
Because everything on wikipedia and on the internet is true.

I will also not the amount of 5-ht in the brain, whatever that even means. I think that it is far more complex and has to do with exactly which specific 5-ht reuptake sub-receptors are being blocked and the effects of that downstream, if you will. Neuropsychiatry seems to constantly be learning just how little understanding we have of all this.

However what you're saying is exactly what I'm curious about. Why the hell does anyone with severe enough SA to require medication care about not being able to have an intimate relationship? If one is socially trusting enough to be involved in an intimate relationship then they probably don't need SSRI's in the first place. I don't think that SSRI's 'fix' someone with severe SA enough to be able to be in a relationship if SA was otherwise keeping them from relationships. I'd be glad to hear the input from anyone who has experience with these matters.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I rather enjoy sexual dysfunction. After some years of sexual dysfunction which still persists even after stopping the guilty meds, I find being asexual rather enjoyable. One less thing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts