Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really excited and everything but how the hell am I going to cope with this change in my life. I'm going to work at a pizza place and it's a nice place but I'm extremely nervous and I know you all know what that feels like. I'm 17,never had a job before, basically stay in my room the whole day besides school, and lack a lot of social skills. I really need this job but how to I deal with the nervousness of it all?

·
Banned
768 Posts
I'm really excited and everything but how the hell am I going to cope with this change in my life. I'm going to work at a pizza place and it's a nice place but I'm extremely nervous and I know you all know what that feels like. I'm 17,never had a job before, basically stay in my room the whole day besides school, and lack a lot of social skills. I really need this job but how to I deal with the nervousness of it all?
Congrats!!! That's great, you'll probably learn more about yourself and make bigger strides in overcoming your SA through working and having a job.

I would suggest you take each task, one at a time. Give yourself LOTS of credit for choosing to do this. Don't feel that you have to be perfect, or compare yourself to other people. Realize that everyone who works there was new at some point and had to learn how to do things. Basically, 'what you tell yourself' gives you an enourmous amount of power over how you feel about it.

What will your duties be?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow that's great! I'm 23 and never had a job so I don't have a whole lot of advice but just try to relax and realise that everyone started work at some point and even people who aren't usually anxious get anxious about starting any new job, not just their first.

Well done for going for it and you will cope! Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Congratulations! :D

You're a success just for getting a job, remember that whenever you feel nervous about it. I know what its like to be nervous in a new job, and not knowing anyone, but remember most people are good and will accept you if you accept them. Be friendly to the other workers and they should help you to fit in.

I'm sure you'll do great in your new job. Good luck with it, and be proud of yourself for getting the job. :)

·
Why can't I be happy?
896 Posts
omg we're in the same situation. I just got a job at a pizza place and haven't statted yet and I'm really nervous too and never had a job before. And, i don't have the best social skills ever,

Congrats by the way, I hope you do great:)

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Groovy man. It's always nerve wrecking your first day. After a few weeks you won't be as nervous.

·
Banned
23 Posts
congrats! keep at it, hopefully it will improve your SA significantly, because you will be forced to deal with people under stress. there wont be much time for thinking and worrying which eventually could get hard wired in yourself.
the first weeks will be very hard though I guess.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good for you! I've only had one job...it's nerve wracking at first but just stick with it & it will get better! Just do the best you can and don't worry about making mistakes, everyone does. It becomes such a normal routine you don't think much of it anymore. Having a job is kind of like forced therapy for SA, I think. :)

·
Fierce
323 Posts
Make that money girl! :) Congrats. I know the feeling; was nervous at my first job. You'll warm up pretty quickly once you get used it and hopefully you'll have nice co-workers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Getting a job dealing with a lot of people was the single greatest thing for my SA. At first I was terrified, then to make things worse the second day I thought I had strep throat and had to call in(actually I showed up but they sent me home) and called in the third day because of it(it turned out to be a terrible cold) so I didn't think I'd last. Now its 4 years later and I'm pretty well liked by everyone there, people even take orders from me. :) I definitely learned how to better interact with people, even got over the whole eye contact thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.