Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first console of the "next generation" of gaming will be released in a little under two weeks. Is anyone getting the XBox 360 at launch? Anyone holding out for the Revolution or PS3?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'm waiting for PS3. I picked it over XBox360 for two technical reasons:

1. Supports high-definition "Blu-Ray™" discs... XBox360 uses regular DVDs.
2. At launch, PS3 will have thousands of games spanning 10 years that can play on it. XBox360 is not even fully backward compatible with the regular XBox.

-Ryan

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
xbox 360 costs like $700. I don't think many kids are gonna get that in their stocking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the PS and will probably buy the PS3. I hate how Microsoft made the Xbox slightly faster than the PS2 and got people to buy it with its small selection of games and bulky controller. Xbox = :twisted!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Correction to the Correction: XBox360 with the Hard Drive accessory enables you to play some Classic XBox games.

The problem is the CPU in the 360 is totally new, so an emulator has to be used for backward compatibility. Microsoft has said that "mainstream titles" are going to be the first to work, and more will come over time (but they never said -every- game will work on 360). Emulator updates will be deployed over XBox Live.

-Ryan

·
SAS Member
14,453 Posts
wituckius said:
I'm holding out for lower prices.
Same here.
And also... when i get one there will be more games out.
Wouldn't mind trying Perfect Dark Zero right now though :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
XBox360 uses an IBM-made custom-designed 64-bit PowerPC dual-core chip. It has absolutely nothing in common with the Intel Pentium 733 used by first XBox. That's why backward compatibility is going to be such a headache.

(Interestingly, IBM is also key in the development of the PS3's "Cell" processer... IBM wins this console war no matter what :))

-Ryan

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
At first, I was excited about the PS3. It just blew the 360 away, as if the 360 was made ten years ago. But then Sony kept on dropping the ball more and more: no real game footage, its dev kits have a bad rapport with developers, its launch pushed back for another year, doubtful about backwards-compatibility, proprietary hardware only, and the whole rootkit fiasco. I'm starting to see the 360 as a much more attractive system--especially with its compatibility with PC's multimedia capabilities like playing music and watching videos and stuff.

On the flipside, many launch titles are being delayed for the 360--and the ones that aren't, don't look all that impressive (except PGR3). And then there are all the technical glitches being reported, and the "shortage" of consoles for launch. Microsoft is also dropping the ball for next-gen, but not as much as Sony.

That pretty much leaves Nintendo as the X-factor. All I know is, that after getting a Nintendo DS I find gaming fun again, and there is always a smile on my face when I look at the DS. Whereas with my PS2, it's always serious, isolated, attentive, and with lots of blood and cutscenes involved; fun, but not that much fun.

We'll see what happens in two weeks, I guess

·
Comfortably Numb
347 Posts
I got one on ebgames but it won't be shipped until Feb. I'm hoping by then some sort of hack/exploit will be made available but I doubt it considering the most recent news about the security employeed on it. Here's what we know about the security so far(from free60):

* The flash is encrypted with a per-box key
* The key is stored inside the CPU
* The boot ROM is stored inside the CPU
* Also inside the CPU is a hypervisor that verifies the running state of the kernel, making sure there is no modification (RAM checksums), else the Xbox360 panics and blows up!
* The CPU contains RAM inside of it to store the checksums
* All interrupt/exception handling is done by the hypervisor
* All code runs in kernel mode
* The emulator for first generation games can be updated via an official Microsoft download burned to CD by the user, though the CDs' content will be encrypted and signed with public key cryptography.
The Xbox 360's Hard Disk appears to connect to the Xbox 360 via 7-pin SATA, internally the drive connects to the external connector through standard SATA data and power connectors.
I have a feeling unless theres a major exploit or backdoor left open it may not be hacked. That really sucks considering the specs of the xbox 360 would make a killer linux box.

The xbox 360's PSU is constantly overheating and the GPU is producing an extensive amount of artifacts. I can only hope a new revision comes out before I get my xbox 360 with all this fixed. :afr

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll probably just get a PS3. I haven't seen anything so far on the 360 that makes me want to pay the large amount of money they're asking. The only reason I'd buy the 360 is if somehow the new Silent Hill went to to that system exclusively.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I WANT my Xbox 360 premium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why tease us with only 400,000 launched on opening day!?!?

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????
:fall

Come on, Bill Gates ring a bell? He's only THE richest man in the world. I really do think he could of helped us out a little here AND PRODUCED MORE SYSTEMS for launch!!!!!! :mum

what a nerd....

·
Registered
330 Posts
The 360's are nowhere to be found here. I will probably wait for a bundle with PGR3, if i would getit now it would make my college-concentration drop alot.

The PGR series rules hard!!

:nw

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
too bad it's inconvenient to order 360s from japan. the 360s there are collecting dust on store shelves, meanwhile here it will take MONTHS just to meet pre-order numbers made 6 months ago.

...well, at least normalcy of stock of the 360s will coincide with the arrival of good games sometime around march 2006...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kardax said:
Correction to the Correction: XBox360 with the Hard Drive accessory enables you to play some Classic XBox games.

The problem is the CPU in the 360 is totally new, so an emulator has to be used for backward compatibility. Microsoft has said that "mainstream titles" are going to be the first to work, and more will come over time (but they never said -every- game will work on 360). Emulator updates will be deployed over XBox Live.

-Ryan
Correction to the correction to the correction: All Xbox games will work on the X360 eventually.

"At launch, Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with the top Xbox games," Xbox PR manager Michael Wolf told GamesIndustry.biz today. "Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360. You will NOT need to purchase a new 'version' - your original games will work on Xbox 360."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8996

I'll be getting an X360 when the likes of Prey and Gears of War are released. Then there's Halo 3. Besides, those complaining about their Xbox games not working on the X360 do have an Xbox, don't they? I'm not sure about most of you, but I'm keeping hold of my Xbox.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll be holding out for a PS3.
I've got nothing against XBOX it's just I find that most of the games are very similiar. I'm so bored of seeing 1st Person Shooters and driving games. I guess everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
I've always liked Playstation because the games are pretty diverse, there's something for everyone....and they do cool RPG's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everybody says the same thing about Xbox - "all its got is FPS and driving games". Yet out of my top Xbox games, only one of them is an FPS (and I am a rabid FPS fan). The rest are action adventures like Ninja Gaiden, stealth-em-ups like Splinter Cell 3, and RPGs like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts