Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm happy to say that since I signed up here, I've went through quite a bit. To make a long story short, I finally got insurance and just started seeing a psychiatrist. He prescribed lexpro 10mg(1x/day), xaxan tablets .5mg (3x/day), and xanax wafers .5mg (2x/day)

This is day 4 since I've started this regiment, and its made it a little bit easier for me to sleep, and my anxiety has lowered a notch but not much. What do you make of this? Is it not working? Or should I talk to the doc about increasing xanax dosage?

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
It's just supposed to take the edge off, and the sleep is a bonus. Xanax is the LAST drug you want to be taking higher doses of, trust me.

·
Banned
232 Posts
you have a good combination of meds, the xanax will help now and reduce the side effects of the lexapro which will take 2 to 6 weeks to start working, if it works at all for you

xanax of course is a valium type med and if it sedates you too much you need to reduce the dose for a while, a longer acting one such as clonazepam wouldnt need to be taken so often

as always with SA it helps to learn new ways to calm and relax yourself

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
SSRIs like Lexapro usually take 1-2 weeks to even begin working; a lot of people get nasty side-effects in the beginning including depression & anxiety (I assume the Xanax is to offset this). Just chill out for now, it should start properly working in a week or two.

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah ok...i haven't seen too much improvement on anxiety yet, but i assume its because i just started. will see how it goes over the next week or so. thanks :)

i sleep like a baby though which is great

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Lexapro is a good drug to start with, like euphoria said the Xanax will offset many of it's initial side effects. The antidepressant & anti-anxiety effects of Lexapro should start within 10-14 days, for the maximum effect you have to wait longer (weeks). If the drug helps you, but not enough don't hesitate to ask you Pdoc for a dosage increase to 20mg.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I take celexa which is almost the same thing as lexapro. The best advice I can offer is to be patient. It took me almost two months before I could say the medicine was actually helping and the side effects started going away. Leading up to that point, my anxiety actually got worse, and it made me feel like a zombie. But once you get past that hump, it can be really helpful stuff.

·
Registered
440 Posts
SSRIs like Lexapro usually take 1-2 weeks to even begin working; a lot of people get nasty side-effects in the beginning including depression & anxiety (I assume the Xanax is to offset this). Just chill out for now, it should start properly working in a week or two.
Euphoria, I noticed it says you're a schizoid and avoidant in your profile.... now how is that so? I'm pretty sure these disorders are mutually exclusive....and if you were both, you would never see another human being in your life.. ever.. because not only would you never want to, but you'd be too scared to also...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts