Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. gave me a choice either xanax xr or xanax. What are anyones thoughts of the xr?

Im currently on 25 mg of zoloft in am and 13 mg of zoloft in the evening. Xanax as needed. I also just had to have my thyroid medicine lowered because they think it is starting to become overactive vs underactive.

Your thoughts?

Happy New [email protected]!

Robin ;)

·
Iam building a religion
2,834 Posts
Dr. gave me a choice either xanax xr or xanax. What are anyones thoughts of the xr?

Im currently on 25 mg of zoloft in am and 13 mg of zoloft in the evening. Xanax as needed. I also just had to have my thyroid medicine lowered because they think it is starting to become overactive vs underactive.

Your thoughts?

Happy New [email protected]!

Robin ;)
i tried it the xr after reading one persons reviews for it. ......it was poop when i tried it

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Xanax XR was largely created to make money by making a "new" drug out of an old generic.

I see very little purpose for an XR version. If one wants a benzo that lasts longer they could simply take a benzo that naturally does last longer instead of a short-acting benzo they put in a longer-acting form.

Reactions: MilkWasABadChoice

·
Registered
439 Posts
Like ultrashy said, if you want a long lasting benzo try something like klonopon. In journal of psych they had an index for anxiolytics and klonopin was most effective. The problem with xanax is that it builds up a quick tolerance.

Ive taken both xanax ir and xr and i found regular Xanax was more effective for me and the xr seemed to sedate me.

If you are looking for long acting benzo try klonopin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the klonopin as addictive as xanax? I just want to people to relax and be able to get back to normal daily activities. LIKE WORK. The dr wants me to take the xanax to help until the zoloft takes full effect.

Also how long does the klonopin work for? I know the xanax makes me feel calm for about 3 to 4 hours.

Thanks for all your responses.

Robin
:eek:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Klonopin kicks in after 2 hrs for me usually and lasts the whole day. Yes it is less habit forming and addictive due to its longer half life. Many psychs are hesitant to prescribe Xanax for that reason. Klonopin is probably the most prescribed benzo for SA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know. I don't like taking the xanax too much, so I suffer alot, because of the addictive qualities. I will talk to my Dr about it.

Klonopin helps you get you get out of the house? What other meds are you taking?

Thanks for the FYI

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ive never had problems leaving my house but klonopin will help anxiety if thats a problem you do have. I rarely take klonopin now, mainly just for sleep now occasionally.

I take nardil 45mg, nuvigil 75mg, and lyrica 100mg.

Since i started nardil and it kicked in i no longer have symptoms of SA

·
Registered
832 Posts
How about no xanax at all.
Klonopin is the best benzo i ever used and lorazepam as a good second
I tried xanax but did do nothing.
With benzo's it's hit or miss,it really depends on the type and severity of your problems.
I think benzo's are the most overused and misused meds out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts