Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,236 Posts
I am really very sorry to hear that you are struggling with cancer and suffering from anxiety as a result. My heart goes out to you and I do hope that you can find some solace in this situation.

Xanax has a fairly short half-life so it's affects don't last very long. It has a half life of about 11 hours compared to 30+ hours for Klonopin. Xanax is only active in your system for a few hours. I used to take it and I would say I felt it for maybe 4 hours total with peak affects only lasting for about 2 hours. Xanax is better for short-lasting anxiety episodes like panic attacks or for people with nighttime anxiety who just need help falling asleep. It will not keep you calm throughout the day although there may be extended release formulations available that would last longer.

You also gain a tolerance to Xanax really quickly and .5 MG is not a lot at all. I think you would gain a full tolerance to that dosage just by taking it daily for a 5 days or less. I used to take .5 MG pills and on the third day I would notice a significant decrease in effectiveness.

I think it takes about an hour to feel the Xanax start to work then another hour before you start to peak. But you may not feel anything at all if your tolerance is too high. Also, it's best to take it on an empty stomach or sublingually to maximize the absorption. Taking it sublingually will also hasten the absorption and thus the anxiolytic effects.

Reactions: harrison
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.