Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Today was my day off of Xanax and I've been on it for 3 days. Today I have more general anxiety than normal. Could this be an effect of withdrawal?
What dose have you been taking barry, and how often?

I think personally it's unlikely to be withdrawal effects. You might be experiencing what is known as "rebound-anxiety" and is common with benzo's as you probably know. But at only 3 days on it, seems unlikely. Everyone is different though I guess. Depends how severe your SA is.

Did the Xanax help a lot when you took it? Are you constantly or frequently (i.e daily) in extreme SA-provoking situations?

Here is my own experience and thoughts on Xanax (sorry bit of a long ramble)

My SA is quite severe, and like yourself, I only started Xanax during the last 7-10 days and have taken it for 3 days in a row. I never experienced any withdrawal effects, or any rebound anxiety.

However it did help me loads and I found myself craving it. Almost like a rapid psychological dependence forming, much like I used to get with alcohol. This really worried me and sounded an alarm bell. Every time I had to do something something stressful or go into some anxiety-provoking situation around people I would be thinking this would be so much easier with 0.5 Xanax and considering taking it. I had to use all my willpower and remind myself that if I used it for routine/daily anxiety, I'd be in trouble. Had to keep reminding myself that it's only for emergencies and situations I can't deal with.

My strategy therefore for dealing with the cravings and making it clear whether or not Xanax can be used, is a simple 3-point criteria check.

1. Is it a big event, or a one-off situation, not a normal daily situation?
2. Is the situation causing a SUDDEN and EXTREME SA?
3. Is it vital you remain calm and in control of the SA?

If I can answer yes to all 3, then I will take the Xanax, if not I won't take it. Situations that meet this criteria check, would be something like going to the dentist, having an unexpected visitor to your home, or having to do an interview, doing a presentation, or have an important lengthy face to face discussion with someone in authority etc.

Although there may be occasions when you're just having a bad day or need to take it to give you a push to do something (I used it to help me start jogging as I was very nervous on the first day). You just have to be careful with this, and keep it to "occasional".

Another little rule I have is not to take Xanax more than 2 days in a row. Obviously I broke that rule once already, but since then I've stuck to it and don't feel it too difficult to. However if I was in daily SA-provoking situations I can see how it would be easy to rely on Xanax every day and end up taking it for many days concurrently. If that happened, I think you would be well on your way to dependency and probably more likely to experience rebound anxiety.

The thing about benzos is...they are GREAT drugs for SA..the effects are virtually instant and they will take away all the physical effects and most of the mental effects of SA. But the more you use it, the more problems you will have in the longer run. Everyone knows the problems with daily usage can be very severe with benzos (that's why most Dr's no longer prescribe it for SA except as a last resort after all other options have been exhausted). So really it MUST be kept as a drug to be used sparingly and for emergency situations only. If you can use it like that, it will never lose its effectiveness, and you won't need to keep increasing the dose, or have any of the problems such as tolerance or re-bound anxiety. You'll also be less likely to experience psychological or physical dependency on it.

I know all this is easier said than done when you're talking about SA. That is probably why I wouldn't advise people to even try a benzo unless they have a good degree of will-power and discipline. Of course, saying all this, you might take a benzo more frequently or even daily and not have any major problem coming off it*. You might be one of the lucky ones. But knowing the mess you could end up in, do you want to risk it? Just read the MANY experiences of people having major problems and it will remind you how bad it could be. Having EXTREME and INTENSE SA even worse than you have already, and having nothing that can help except higher and higher doses of benzo and then your dr saying "no more", and facing the prospect of being forced to come off it and taper off, doesn't sound like a good situation to be in.

*I took Valium for about 2-3 years, many years ago and was using it almost daily at times and sometimes re-dosing. I was on a low dose, 2mg or 3mg tabs. I would sometimes take 2. I never had any problems with tolerance or coming off it (I tapered off it). However, I found it not very effective for SA (at least at that time in my life) and nowhere as effective as Xanax which seems to be a very different benzo to me. Maybe its to do with strength or dosage (I take 0.5 Xanax when I take it). Although my experience with the Valium could make me complacent with Xanax, I feel its wise to be careful since it works so much better.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes. Thats part of the rollercoster effect of xanax.

We need for really be aware of the dangers of benzos before taking them. I personally researched benzo's for many months before deciding I need them.

This was years ago and even after going through the hell of withdrawal I am back on benzo's cause they help so much.

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
Yes. Thats part of the rollercoster effect of xanax.

We need for really be aware of the dangers of benzos before taking them. I personally researched benzo's for many months before deciding I need them.

This was years ago and even after going through the hell of withdrawal I am back on benzo's cause they help so much.
yeah its a shame you are back on them himi since you went through such hellish withdrawals. I managed to combat the addiction (for now) once the withdrawal depression, anxiety and physical pain wore off and every once in a while (once a month) I will take 1mg of klonopin or a zopiclone for sleep or sedation but they do not work like they used to so I do not have the desire for them like I used to, the klonopin also make me hungry now and anything that increases appetite is instant cessation for me :D

Lorazepam on the other hand...I am glad there is none available in the house or around :D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What dose have you been taking barry, and how often?

I think personally it's unlikely to be withdrawal effects. You might be experiencing what is known as "rebound-anxiety" and is common with benzo's as you probably know. But at only 3 days on it, seems unlikely. Everyone is different though I guess. Depends how severe your SA is.

Did the Xanax help a lot when you took it? Are you constantly or frequently (i.e daily) in extreme SA-provoking situations?

Here is my own experience and thoughts on Xanax (sorry bit of a long ramble)

My SA is quite severe, and like yourself, I only started Xanax during the last 7-10 days and have taken it for 3 days in a row. I never experienced any withdrawal effects, or any rebound anxiety.

However it did help me loads and I found myself craving it. Almost like a rapid psychological dependence forming, much like I used to get with alcohol. This really worried me and sounded an alarm bell. Every time I had to do something something stressful or go into some anxiety-provoking situation around people I would be thinking this would be so much easier with 0.5 Xanax and considering taking it. I had to use all my willpower and remind myself that if I used it for routine/daily anxiety, I'd be in trouble. Had to keep reminding myself that it's only for emergencies and situations I can't deal with.

My strategy therefore for dealing with the cravings and making it clear whether or not Xanax can be used, is a simple 3-point criteria check.

1. Is it a big event, or a one-off situation, not a normal daily situation?
2. Is the situation causing a SUDDEN and EXTREME SA?
3. Is it vital you remain calm and in control of the SA?

If I can answer yes to all 3, then I will take the Xanax, if not I won't take it. Situations that meet this criteria check, would be something like going to the dentist, having an unexpected visitor to your home, or having to do an interview, doing a presentation, or have an important lengthy face to face discussion with someone in authority etc.

Although there may be occasions when you're just having a bad day or need to take it to give you a push to do something (I used it to help me start jogging as I was very nervous on the first day). You just have to be careful with this, and keep it to "occasional".

Another little rule I have is not to take Xanax more than 2 days in a row. Obviously I broke that rule once already, but since then I've stuck to it and don't feel it too difficult to. However if I was in daily SA-provoking situations I can see how it would be easy to rely on Xanax every day and end up taking it for many days concurrently. If that happened, I think you would be well on your way to dependency and probably more likely to experience rebound anxiety.

The thing about benzos is...they are GREAT drugs for SA..the effects are virtually instant and they will take away all the physical effects and most of the mental effects of SA. But the more you use it, the more problems you will have in the longer run. Everyone knows the problems with daily usage can be very severe with benzos (that's why most Dr's no longer prescribe it for SA except as a last resort after all other options have been exhausted). So really it MUST be kept as a drug to be used sparingly and for emergency situations only. If you can use it like that, it will never lose its effectiveness, and you won't need to keep increasing the dose, or have any of the problems such as tolerance or re-bound anxiety. You'll also be less likely to experience psychological or physical dependency on it.

I know all this is easier said than done when you're talking about SA. That is probably why I wouldn't advise people to even try a benzo unless they have a good degree of will-power and discipline. Of course, saying all this, you might take a benzo more frequently or even daily and not have any major problem coming off it*. You might be one of the lucky ones. But knowing the mess you could end up in, do you want to risk it? Just read the MANY experiences of people having major problems and it will remind you how bad it could be. Having EXTREME and INTENSE SA even worse than you have already, and having nothing that can help except higher and higher doses of benzo and then your dr saying "no more", and facing the prospect of being forced to come off it and taper off, doesn't sound like a good situation to be in.

*I took Valium for about 2-3 years, many years ago and was using it almost daily at times and sometimes re-dosing. I was on a low dose, 2mg or 3mg tabs. I would sometimes take 2. I never had any problems with tolerance or coming off it (I tapered off it). However, I found it not very effective for SA (at least at that time in my life) and nowhere as effective as Xanax which seems to be a very different benzo to me. Maybe its to do with strength or dosage (I take 0.5 Xanax when I take it). Although my experience with the Valium could make me complacent with Xanax, I feel its wise to be careful since it works so much better.
For some ungodly reason valium works way better than xanax for me. 5mg of valium equates to 1mg of xanax.

I have been on xanax off and on for the last few weeks and I already feel it losing its effectiveness.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For some ungodly reason valium works way better than xanax for me. 5mg of valium equates to 1mg of xanax.

I have been on xanax off and on for the last few weeks and I already feel it losing its effectiveness.
Interesting. I know many rate Valium as the king of the benzos due to its longer action and the fact its been around so long. I find it more potent in its sedating effects than Xanax definitely, even at fairly low doses of like 4-6mg.

It's a shame Xanax is losing its effectiveness for you after such a short time :-/ How often did you take it? Maybe Xanax is more inclined to "poop out" than Valium because its shorter acting. If you're needing to take a benzo more regularly or daily for some reason, then prolly Valium is a better and safer option?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I know many rate Valium as the king of the benzos due to its longer action and the fact its been around so long. I find it more potent in its sedating effects than Xanax definitely, even at fairly low doses of like 4-6mg.

It's a shame Xanax is losing its effectiveness for you after such a short time :-/ How often did you take it? Maybe Xanax is more inclined to "poop out" than Valium because its shorter acting. If you're needing to take a benzo more regularly or daily for some reason, then prolly Valium is a better and safer option?
I am thinking about switching but I keep calling the dr to switch meds and I fear him being skeptical of me and I don't want to lose my benzo privileged.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am thinking about switching but I keep calling the dr to switch meds and I fear him being skeptical of me and I don't want to lose my benzo privileged.
Ya I can understand your reluctance to bring it up. I think though what you're considering doing maybe sensible (moving to a longer-acting benzo from a shorter-acting) if you're using it more regularly or daily. Moving to a longer-acting benzo makes more sense in that situation as you wouldn't need to re-dose as often as Valium has a much longer half-life than Xanax so would stay in your system longer.

I don't know about the other pharmacological differences between Valium and Xanax, but it may just be a more sensible option if you're intending to be on benzos long-term rather than short-term.

It all depends on what arrangement/understanding you have with your Dr as to whether you should discuss this. If your understanding is short-term or occasional usage, then you might not get anywhere discussing it. Else, why not bring it up? what harm can it do, he can only say no. I doubt he would suddenly withdraw your Xanax and think you're over-using, if you already have have an understanding.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya I can understand your reluctance to bring it up. I think though what you're considering doing maybe sensible (moving to a longer-acting benzo from a shorter-acting) if you're using it more regularly or daily. Moving to a longer-acting benzo makes more sense in that situation as you wouldn't need to re-dose as often as Valium has a much longer half-life than Xanax so would stay in your system longer.

I don't know about the other pharmacological differences between Valium and Xanax, but it may just be a more sensible option if you're intending to be on benzos long-term rather than short-term.

It all depends on what arrangement/understanding you have with your Dr as to whether you should discuss this. If your understanding is short-term or occasional usage, then you might not get anywhere discussing it. Else, why not bring it up? what harm can it do, he can only say no. I doubt he would suddenly withdraw your Xanax and think you're over-using, if you already have have an understanding.
I get what your saying. I am reluctant to ask because I lied and told him its for flight anxiety because I knew I wouldn't get a benzo for SA. So I think in a few months I will ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts