Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you all who use xanax as needed...

Which dosage you take? How often? Does it help? Are you experiencing any side-effects?

I started my journey with xanax couple days ago... First went straight to 1 mg. Felt like I was drunk. :eek: My speech went very slurred and movements clumsy. It was hard to try to explain anything longer, because I kinda "forgot" what I had just said... And no, it didnt have so big effect on my sa. It definitely gave me some confidence, but I think couple beers would have done the same.

Today I tried a little bit smaller dose, and took 0.25 mg. I think it took the biggest edge of my anxiety away. I ran into a friend, and it was definitely easier to talk to her than normally... But again, nothing very tramatic anyway :blank.

After couple hours I decided to take another 0.25. And then, it hit me again... It clearly started to affect my speech. I became kinda confused, for example almost forget several times to push the bus' "stop-button" before my stop... I became slightly disoriented. How can 0.5 mg have such an effect on me? :D

And now, I have felt very tired the whole day.

I am not sure, if this drug is for me... :D :(

These drugs like alcohol or xanax dont seem to work very well on my anxiety... I think it is much because I feel such a need to be "in total control of the social situation", and when intoxicated I feel I'm losing that control. And on the other hand, I still prefer appearing nervous to appearing drugged :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like you are taking too much. Stick with your .25mg and even that can be broken in half on most pills.

Xanax are generally meant to only be taken as an emergency type pill. Like when you know you have a presentation and you are FREAKING OUT big time. Or you are having a panic attack or something you pop your xanax and wait 20min or however long and it calms you.

My doctor will only prescribe me like 10 at a time and if I use them up she tells me I'm going to get addicted blah blah and won't give me more for awhile. And I'm talking about using them up over a period of 60 days and her acting like its a problem.

Did your doctor tell you to take it daily multiple times a day?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I take .5 mg per day as needed (which is about 5 days per week -- I don't really go out on weekends). It has never seemed to have that effect on me. No side effects that I've noticed, but I've taken so many things for so long that I probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was from the meds.

Maybe try diazepam or valium? They are both strong meds, but different from xanax.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sorry, I meant valium or klonopin -- diazepam and valium are the same thing.

·
Banned
115 Posts
I am on .25mg 3x daily PRN for anxiety. It works very well for me. I have been able to make phone calls for the first time in years. I have been able to get out of the house. I have been able to make new friends in the past months.

I have been on it for about 3 months and it still works great. I take it 2-3 times daily. I went from being totally non-functional to actually being able to fight my anxiety and not just "deal with it". It helps me do alot of exposure type therapy.

I have been on Klonopin 4mg and Ativan 2mg as well and they are sugar pills compared to Xanax for me at least. The dose of Xanax I am on is much smaller compared to the dose I was on for Klonopin or Ativan.

These tranquilizers are meant to "take the edge off anxiety" and not eliminate anxiety. It seems like .25mg is what you should take because anymore makes you feel drugged.

I also have Agoraphobia and Panic disorder that the Xanax helps tremendously.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I am on .25mg 3x daily PRN for anxiety. It works very well for me. I have been able to make phone calls for the first time in years. I have been able to get out of the house. I have been able to make new friends in the past months.

I have been on it for about 3 months and it still works great. I take it 2-3 times daily. I went from being totally non-functional to actually being able to fight my anxiety and not just "deal with it". It helps me do alot of exposure type therapy.

I have been on Klonopin 4mg and Ativan 2mg as well and they are sugar pills compared to Xanax for me at least. The dose of Xanax I am on is much smaller compared to the dose I was on for Klonopin or Ativan.

These tranquilizers are meant to "take the edge off anxiety" and not eliminate anxiety. It seems like .25mg is what you should take because anymore makes you feel drugged.

I also have Agoraphobia and Panic disorder that the Xanax helps tremendously.
I bet this is because of Xanax's effects on neurotransmitters other than GABA at low doses. Dopamine and serotonin are great for anxiety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts