Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had convinced my doctor a month ago to try Xanax. I had briefly mentioned him how I knew the dangers in terms of addiction and tolerance of the drug, but still asked him to prescribe me some as I thought it could help.

He prescribed me 0.25mg of Xanax, 10 pills with no refills. As did not feel much at 0.25mg, so I took 2 at a time and faced situations where my anxiety was controlled or not existent, in situations where normally I would've been messed up and filled with anxiety.

I went to see him again last week, and explained how it was helping me. I told him I would take it only 2 times a week and he agreed to prescribe me 0.50mg, 10pills with 12 refills.

I took the 0.50mg today and did things today that without Xanax wouldn't have been possible. It hasn't cured me from SA, but allows me to face situation that I wasn't able to do before.

Xanax seems to be a life saver for me so far.

Just felt like sharing.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Back when I was taking Xanax, 90x1mg tablets were hardly adequate for my anxiety. I can't imagine 10x0.5mg tablets lasting very long.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I take .25 mg and it helps me a lot. I guess it all depends on the person. .25 mgs wouldn't even affect most people but if I take .5 then I feel like i've taken too much. Unless of course i'm extremely anxious for some reason. When I first started taking Xanax I started doing things that I would have never done before like going to the mall alone and stuff. I would go to the mall alone almost every weekend just because I actually could. haha. Xanax is a great thing if you don't abuse it.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take .25 mg and it helps me a lot. I guess it all depends on the person. .25 mgs wouldn't even affect most people but if I take .5 then I feel like i've taken too much. Unless of course i'm extremely anxious for some reason. When I first started taking Xanax I started doing things that I would have never done before like going to the mall alone and stuff. I would go to the mall alone almost every weekend just because I actually could. haha. Xanax is a great thing if you don't abuse it.
How do you not abuse it? Where do you draw the line?
If I take 0.5 twice a week on average, is that ok?

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
yep, it is one of the few meds that works well for anxiety. I think it is safe to take on a regular basis if you are able to maintain a consistent dose.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again today. Made me feel so good. On Xanax, I can talk to a girl and look them in the eye and smile. I'm not worried when I walk in front of people. I look around, when I see someone I stop and talk. I smile. I enjoy having a conversation. People seem to enjoy talking to me as well, as I talk slowly, calmly and with a smile. I feel relaxed.

I had reached a point where things seemed hopeless. And despite all the negative things I've read about benzos, it seems to be working for me so far. It's still early. Things could change. But it's giving me hope. Just knowing it's there, reduces the anticipatory anxiety I normally feel.

I shall not abuse. I shall use in moderation. I shall be smart. And hopefully things will get better from here. Amen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does Xanax normally come in 10pills per bottle?
Also is it meant to be used consistently every week or only useful when you have to face a social situation?
Say if i took Xanax on monday, would i still feel better than i would on a Wednesday?

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From my own experience, the effect of Xanax lasts about 4-6 hours.

I'm not sure how many pills in a bottle are usually subscribed, but that's what my doc prescribed me both times. First time it was 0.25 10x, with no refill. I went back and this time he gave me 0.50 10x, with 10 refills.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I went back and this time he gave me 0.50 10x, with 10 refills.
Clearly, Canada has different laws. Here in the US a doc would be limited to a maximum of 5 refills on a C-IV drug like any benzo under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970.

Of course, you get a grand total of 55 mg Xanax 11 fills (original fill + 10 refills) if my math is right. I get my Xanax in monthly supplies of 300 mg (2 mg x 150 bars).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts