Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got prescribed Xanax today by my doctor.
I was told to limit my dosage to 0.25 mg-0.5 mg per use and was only told to use it before events, such as being in an unfamiliar social environment, giving a presentation in front of people, meeting new people, etc.

My question is, how addictive is this stuff?
I learned in my bio-ethics class that benzos were one of the most addictive prescription drugs.

If I keep the dosage low and use it infrequently enough, will I be okay?
Even though I have SA, I do not want to deal with rehab because of a drug addiction.

·
We all deserve something.
1,786 Posts
Taking it only once in a while will be fine, I was the in the same situation as you, I got prescribed that also, and was to take it whenever I was in a situation I felt I needed it, I've taken it a few times IE Going on an airplane and job interviews, and I'm not addicted to it at all, I never felt a "need" to take it, I think you'll be fine. :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I learned in my bio-ethics class that benzos were one of the most addictive prescription drugs.
If they were all that addictive they wouldn't be classified as a C-IV controlled substance. C-III is more addictive, and C-II in turn in even more addictive. The idea that benzos are one of the most addictive prescriptions drugs is simply nonsensical.

Reactions: yourfavestoner

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they were all that addictive they wouldn't be classified as a C-IV controlled substance. C-III is more addictive, and C-II in turn in even more addictive. The idea that benzos are one of the most addictive prescriptions drugs is simply nonsensical.
It was considered to be highly addictive because (I think) of the sheer volume of alprazolam and diazepam being prescribed in the US.
There were more cases of abuse with these drugs than, let's say, heroine.

Mind you that I read this scientific paper more than a year ago when I was still a pre-med, so my memory is hazy on this one.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
It was considered to be highly addictive because (I think) of the sheer volume of alprazolam and diazepam being prescribed in the US.
There were more cases of abuse with these drugs than, let's say, heroine.
I'm sure there are more cases of problems with Xanax than with heroin for the simple reason that far more people take Xanax. But more cases doesn't make Xanax more addictive than heroin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I realized I misworded my initial statement.
I would have changed it, but I don't think there's an edit option.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Keep in mind that addiction and dependence are very different things. If you take xanax (or any benzo) regularly, you will mostly likely become physically dependent on it. This isn't in and of itself a problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Keep in mind that addiction and dependence are very different things. If you take xanax (or any benzo) regularly, you will mostly likely become physically dependent on it. This isn't in and of itself a problem.
how is this not a problem? you can have serious withrawals if you become psyically dependant on it... Benzos are serious ****, Im glad your doctor prescribed it only on special ocasions, my psychiatrist prescribed me benzos everyday and when I went online and found out how addictive it can be, he just told me, do you think we would prescribe these if they could do u any harm? were doctors!! lol I just said :no and never came back...

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
how is this not a problem? you can have serious withrawals if you become psyically dependant on it... Benzos are serious ****, Im glad your doctor prescribed it only on special ocasions, my psychiatrist prescribed me benzos everyday and when I went online and found out how addictive it can be, he just told me, do you think we would prescribe these if they could do u any harm? were doctors!! lol I just said :no and never came back...
It's not necessarily a problem. When we're talking about addiction, we're talking about losing your job and robbing pharmacies to get more. Physical dependence on its own doesn't do that.

If you're going to be stopping any substance that you're dependent on, it's a good idea to taper off. Like I said, not a problem in and of itself.

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
Sure, you'll gain a dependence on them if you take like 1mg+ every single day for a long period of time. Taking .5-1mg though inconsistently 2-3x, maybe even 4x a week typically won't do anything noticeable.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
It's not necessarily a problem. When we're talking about addiction, we're talking about losing your job and robbing pharmacies to get more. Physical dependence on its own doesn't do that.

If you're going to be stopping any substance that you're dependent on, it's a good idea to taper off. Like I said, not a problem in and of itself.
I have never been one to get into the addiction v. dependance semantics issue. I find it to be irrelevant.

It is very much a problem to taper off for some. I am about 25% of the way through my long microtaper and it hasn't been easy at all. It is amazing the difference just a tiny bit of a benzo makes in how you feel. I am addicted, dependent whatever you want to call it. I am hardly someone who is robbing pharmacies and I cannot imagine why I would lose my job over it. Since I get 180 1 mg pills every 90 days for $5 it's not like there is much of a problem of having it around. But I do feel "addicted" to it because sadly a great fear of mine is not having it around when I need it. I would go into full blown panic attack mode and I don't even want to know about beyond that. The WD symptoms are awful and I envy those that are able to use it PRN. I wish I had stayed that way, was like that at the beginning. But I hit tolerance issues pretty fast. But that is just my story. YMMV.

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
I've mentioned this before and it's worth reiterating - the Barb you want to try - Phenobarbital - is C-IV. If it's soooooooooo much more dangerous than the benzos you're already on, why the hell is it C-IV? Psychs are idiots frequently.

OP - I've always performed the term "chemical dependency." You will become "dependent" on Xanax as in you wouldn't be able to cold turkey stop it, but addiction is a misnomer.

The fact you're even worried about addiction tells me you're not going to be popping a kazillion pills like a junkie. Don't worry.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got prescribed Xanax today by my doctor.
I was told to limit my dosage to 0.25 mg-0.5 mg per use and was only told to use it before events, such as being in an unfamiliar social environment, giving a presentation in front of people, meeting new people, etc.

My question is, how addictive is this stuff?

If I keep the dosage low and use it infrequently enough, will I be okay?
Even though I have SA, I do not want to deal with rehab because of a drug addiction.
Yes benzos are very addictive. .25 is a very low dose. you may not even feel it but some people are more sensitive than others. if you have a history of substance abuse including alcohol, i would advise against it. i take it when i cant sleep at night. as far as social anxiety i found ativan to be much more effective. xanax puts me out more where ativan makes me feel more active and social. both give me a euphoric feeling and i do enjoy it however i find it pointless to take all the time because the tolerance build up is extremely fast. i usually dont take it more than a couple times a week. sometimes i dont take it for several weeks and have even went off for months. personally i never got any kind of withdraw symptoms. i imagine you need to take a lot and very often to get addicted. a lot of drs wont prescribe a high enough dose and if they suspect you're starting to take it too often they may cut you off but will usually give you 1 last script to ween yourself off. not all drs are the same though. some people it does work good to take everyday and prevents panic attacks. seems like most drs give it out pretty easy if you have a history of anxiety or panic attacks. like many other drugs, it makes you feel good especially at high doses. people sometimes crave it too much and start buying it on the streets which leads to trouble. it's very big in the black market drug trade but not as big of a problem as prescription narcotics.

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
Yes benzos are very addictive. .25 is a very low dose. you may not even feel it but some people are more sensitive than others. if you have a history of substance abuse including alcohol, i would advise against it.
Prior substance abuse is certainly a leading indicator that one would be more likely to abuse benzos. I still think if his anxiety is severe enough he should be able to take it. It's not like alcohol - he can't walk in and buy benzos. His doc can control how much he gets and the pharmacy won't re-fill before a certain date.

i take it when i cant sleep at night. as far as social anxiety i found ativan to be much more effective. xanax puts me out more where ativan makes me feel more active and social. both give me a euphoric feeling and i do enjoy it however i find it pointless to take all the time because the tolerance build up is extremely fast.
Interesting. Drugs will work differently for different people. I couldn't have told the difference between Ativan and a sugar pill. I don't find Xanax strong, but I can notice it. I don't think I've ever heard of someone feeling euphoric after taking a benzo. Interesting.

i usually dont take it more than a couple times a week. sometimes i dont take it for several weeks and have even went off for months. personally i never got any kind of withdraw symptoms. i imagine you need to take a lot and very often to get addicted.
Chemical dependency occurs pretty quickly. Judging by your schedule it's not a shock you've avoided that, though

a lot of drs wont prescribe a high enough dose and if they suspect you're starting to take it too often they may cut you off but will usually give you 1 last script to ween yourself off. not all drs are the same though. some people it does work good to take everyday and prevents panic attacks.
ANOTHER reason I find the idea of benzos "as needed" to be absurd. If you've got an issue with panic attacks, why would you wait until it hits to pop the benzo? Even the quickest, Xanax, isn't going to work THAT fast. Chances are the panic attack will have subsided naturally by the time it kicks in. Better to prevent it from happening in the first place by taking the Xanax beforehand.

seems like most drs give it out pretty easy if you have a history of anxiety or panic attacks. like many other drugs, it makes you feel good especially at high doses. people sometimes crave it too much and start buying it on the streets which leads to trouble. it's very big in the black market drug trade but not as big of a problem as prescription narcotics.
I think a lot of folks here with brutal anxiety would disagree. A lot of docs treat benzos, particuarly Xanax, like an atomic bomb - failing to prescribe it, or giving a miniscule dose that isn't enough to stop the anxiety.

Personally, I think you're exaggerating its street value - but then again it's probably just different in our areas. Here, finding benzos on the street I would label a challenge. Granted, it's not something I've ever looked for actively. If I "asked around," well, perhaps I'd discover there's a bigger presence than I realize. But I'd be skeptical.

·
Relentless
558 Posts
You will absolutely be okay if you use it like you said. I have been on Xanax for months (as needed) and I take it once per week, if that. It doesn't create a problem for me. I also have contact to Ativan, but I don't find either of them addictive.

You should be fine. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have severe social anxiety & also bipolar so separate issues, but for me low-dose .5-1mg Xanax has been great for me. I've been pretty careful to follow the dose, & take it only when I really ned it. It's great for me because it kicks in really fast & packs a punch & totally gets rid of my anxiety for those situations when I need it. It does make me a bit drowsy but not as much as it used to. Sometimes I'll go days or even a week or two without needing it. Then when I do feel panicky or know I will need it, I take it. I have a lot of control with it.

The most potent benzo I've ever taken (for me) is Ativan they gave it to me in hospital a couple of times for panic attacks, & it's really potent truly a "happy pill" lol. But I felt very out of it on Ativan too more so than even Xanax.

Everyones different. For me Xanax is a great go-to to have when I really need it & my other meds don't keep my anxiety in check. I haven't found it addictive at all. And basically zero side effects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts