Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been on Xanax XR 2 mg for about two weeks now, and have begun to notice some memory problems. Does this affect dissipate with time? If not, are there other medications that provide similar affects without causing memory impairment?

It sucks because I have a 'mild' case of NVLD (a learning disability), and need all of the IQ points that I can get :D, I suppose my anxiety levels without the xanax were also affecting my memory but, again, it is still quite noticeable on xanax. Thanks!

· Registered
2,661 Posts
Hello,

I have been on Xanax XR 2 mg for about two weeks now, and have begun to notice some memory problems. Does this affect dissipate with time? If not, are there other medications that provide similar affects without causing memory impairment?
The memory problems come from Xanax hitting GABA receptors, the same receptors that relieve anxiety. Therefore, lowering dose will resolve memory impairment, but you'll lose the anti-anxiety benefits too.

Similar drugs? Currently, there aren't any prescribable meds capable of anti-anxiety effects rivalling benzos, at least in the short-term. If you're willing to wait a bit, Nardil has been proven equally effective as Xanax (well, close enough), then there are other MAOIs, SSRIs, NDRIs, newer antidepressants, and any combination thereof.

If I were you, I'd look into more sustainable, less intellect-crushing medications. There are also supplements and stuff if you wanna take it into your own hands.

· Registered
64 Posts
The memory problems come from Xanax hitting GABA receptors, the same receptors that relieve anxiety. Therefore, lowering dose will resolve memory impairment, but you'll lose the anti-anxiety benefits too.

Similar drugs? Currently, there aren't any prescribable meds capable of anti-anxiety effects rivalling benzos, at least in the short-term. If you're willing to wait a bit, Nardil has been proven equally effective as Xanax (well, close enough), then there are other MAOIs, SSRIs, NDRIs, newer antidepressants, and any combination thereof.

If I were you, I'd look into more sustainable, less intellect-crushing medications. There are also supplements and stuff if you wanna take it into your own hands.
I was doing some research on this very subject Memory Problems from Benzodiazepines
found this very interesting article on Nootropics / Smart Drugs
#
Memory Problems : Anterograde Amnesia #
Benzodiazepines are well known for causing memory encoding problems, so that from the time the effects begin until the substance is substantially metabolized and out of the blood stream, memories may be lost (new ones not encoded). Higher doses, mixing with alcohol or other sedatives, certain benzodiazepines, and individual sensitivies all set how strong the amnesia is.

There has been some work to try to reduce the amnesic effects of benzodiazepines and a variety of different chemicals have been tried to block this effect. Some success has been noted with:

* Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) : There is some preliminary evidence that high doses of Vitamin C may reduce or block benzodiazepine amnesia.
o Parle M, Dhingra D. Ascorbic Acid : a promising memory-enhancer in mice. J PHarmacol Sci. 2003 Oct; 93(2):129-135. [PubMed Abstract]
* Piracetam : Piracetam at high doses has been shown to reduce amnesic effects in several drugs, including benzodiazepines.
o Pan JC, Zhang SS. [Antagonism of piracetam on the amnestic effect of diazepam in mice]. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 1996;31(2):91-4. [PubMed Abstract]
o Lenegre A, Chermat R, Avril I, Steru L, Porsolt RD. Specificity of piracetam's anti-amnesic activity in three models of amnesia in the mouse. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1988 Mar;29(3):625-9. [ PubMed Abstract ]
* Vinpocetine : Some evidence that vinpocetine may reduce amnesic effects of benzodiazepines.
o Bhatti JZ, Hindmarch I. Vinpocetine effects on cognitive impairments produced by flunitrazepam. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 1987 Oct;2(4):325-31. [ PubMed Abstract ]
o Storm G, Oosterhuis B, Sollie FA, Visscher HW, Sommer W, Beitinger H, Jonkman JH. Lack of pharmacokinetic interaction between vinpocetine and oxazepam. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1994 Aug;38(2):143-6. [ PubMed Abstract ] (note this did not show memory improvements)

I would be very interested if anyone has any personal experience with any of these (Smart Drugs)?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8762467?dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3693872?dopt=Abstract

· Registered
64 Posts
On a side note I wonder if there is some effective Nootropics / Smart Drugs that have a
Stimulant effect to use in conjunction with Clonazepam or other Benzos (with out the anxiety provoking effect of caffeine), Memory, Intelligence and Cognitive Function Improvement...

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I was doing some research on this very subject Memory Problems from Benzodiazepines
found this very interesting article on Nootropics / Smart Drugs
#
Memory Problems : Anterograde Amnesia #
Benzodiazepines are well known for causing memory encoding problems, so that from the time the effects begin until the substance is substantially metabolized and out of the blood stream, memories may be lost (new ones not encoded). Higher doses, mixing with alcohol or other sedatives, certain benzodiazepines, and individual sensitivies all set how strong the amnesia is.

There has been some work to try to reduce the amnesic effects of benzodiazepines and a variety of different chemicals have been tried to block this effect. Some success has been noted with:
Pretty interesting stuff. I'm not surprised cholinergic drugs counteract this effect of benzos, due to their use in helping Alzheimer's patients.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may look into those articles regarding supplements that may ameliorate the cognitive affects of xanax. Any dosage suggestions for, say, something, like piracetam, Vitamin C, etc? Or, should I go by what doses were effective in those articles?....although, unfortunately, I am not a mouse :)

And with regard to the suggestion of taking the problem into my 'own hands,' what supplements come close to xanax for anxiety relief? My anxiety problems are extremely physical (i.e., burning sensations throughout body, constant adrenaline rushes, etc.), and xanax is the only med that has had any impact on those symptoms. I didn't think supplements would ever be powerful enough to deal with this, any help is appreciated!

· Memorial Profile
38,514 Posts
I personally have never noticed any benzos having any impact on my memory. My memory isn't perfect, but then I don't think it was before I even knew what a benzo was and I would guess my memory is about as good as average.

I take 10 mg of Xanax daily, making me the largest known consumer of benzos on SAS, and yet even I can't find any impact on memory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.