Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone find writing to help at all with social anxiety? I tend to find it helps when I get depressed, and gives me an outlet for my thoughts. I included a poem that has been my recent mindset on social anxiety.

"S.A.D."

The requiem of a cast shadow,
Where wandering eyes shall never meet,
Lost in the vacant solace,
Of words,
That will never spill from my lips,
Suspended in the heavens of thoughts,
circling, and cycling,
Until they fade away into sorrowed stars.

I woke up wishing you away,
Woke up praying for you stay.
For you're all I ever known,
But not forever be.
As time is lost,
Victories are small,
Yet always steep.

And, maybe. One day,
I'll taste the apple from the tree,
And all the things that I've missed,
In my dreams-a newborn reality.
Where the sun will rise,
But never settle again.
I will find a way,
Before I pine away.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
That's a beautiful poem. I know of a guy on here who also write poetry, but his user name escapes me at the moment.

I write to cope, too, usually short stories, but also some poems, too.
I used to share them pretty freely until I shared one story and the girl ran around claiming it was hers. No one believed it was mine, so I stopped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do free writing when I get really anxious sometimes. I can't decide if it helps or not. On the one hand, it tends to get me thinking about random things that I didn't know I could think about, and that distracts me from anxiety...on the other hand, often times I end up writing pages of negative things about myself. And that doesn't help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't actually, physically, write anything to cope.

However, writing little stories or poems in my head when I'm feeling uncomfortable really helps me shift away from the negative thoughts and the anxiety. My therapist says that I focus on myself way too much, in social situations. Even when just walking down the street, I'm completely focused on how I look or how other people perceive my behavior. I dont really notice other people, except when I'm using them in reference to myself. By externalizing my focus, usually making a conscious effort to think about anything but myself, the anxiety really diminishes.

I'll write my own internal monologues, pretending as if I'm a powerful heroine in a movie. I'll make up stories about passing strangers, or try to predict where they're heading to. I'll even write little, internal, poems about flowers or posters. Anything creative, really, to occupy those thoughts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice poem! I actually find the SA makes it very hard to write, mostly because of the cofidence issues associated with it, so I constantly put off writing because I feel like it won't be good enough.
blah. Should really push myself.

btw-
... until I shared one story and the girl ran around claiming it was hers. No one believed it was mine, so I stopped.
:wtf That is so ridiculous! I'm sure you were furious... I'm angry for you just thinking about it.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
That is a really beautiful poem :)

I write a lot too. I mostly write in my journal. I write in it every single day, and it is not uncommon for me to write entries that go past the 10 page mark. It really helps me make sense of all the random events and emotions that happen to me every day. So much has happened to me in the past few months. Without being able to write to sort things out, my brain would just be a confused mess.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
btw-

:wtf That is so ridiculous! I'm sure you were furious... I'm angry for you just thinking about it.
Yeah, I should have known better. She was always wanting to see my writing. Some gut feeling told me not to, but I did anyway, thinking that it was my issue with trusting people keeping me from doing it.
I did it and the next thing I know, she's copied my story down in a notebook and is walking around telling everyone she wrote this story, even teachers. Of course, I was furious and told people it was my story and showed my actual story to people with a date months before, but she claimed that she showed me her story and I'd gotten jealous and copied it and put an old date on it, so it would seem like I wrote it before her. From what she said, 'because I was usually the one having people fawning over my writing, I couldn't handle letting someone else have a little writing fame.'
It was just so ridiculous. I mean, she couldn't even really explain the characters or the meaning behind it, yet it was something she wrote. It made me so upset that no one realized this was my work, but I just let it go after a few weeks and decided to not show my work to anyone. That was in 8th grade and I still don't show my work. It might seem funny that I still do so, but when you've had something that you spent time and effort on and someone pretty much steals it from under you, it just kills some trust within you about that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts