Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Priestess of Tea
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new, but you probably figured that out. I never thought there were so many people who felt the same way I did. I always felt like I was the weird one. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm not very good at talking to people or even writing to people, but my social anxiety has gotten a lot worse in the last few years and I have to do something, so I hope I don't mess this up somehow. I'm a college student working on a degree in psychology, and I really need to figure out how to beat this, if for no other reason than I can't work in my chosen field unless I can actually talk to people without wanting to crawl under something and die.

Sometimes I feel like everything I say is wrong. I have an IQ well in the genius range, according to the therapists I've seen over the years, but everything I say sounds stupid and no body seems to get it. Also, my "friends", or at least those people who I see at work and school regularly, tell me I'm actually pretty cool, but I think they're lying so they won't have to tell me what an awkward idiot I am. And, lately, I can't even do the thing I really enjoy most, which is kung fu, because my old class was too depressing (I was the only girl and it seemed like the instructor literally forgot I existed, to the point that he said to me one time "Oh, hey, it's nice to see you at class again." when I hadn't missed a class for like 6 months) and I'm terrified of going to train with another guy that teaches the same style in my area because he seems really confrontational. Maybe talking to some other people with the same problems will help.

Anyway, nice to meet you guys.

·
mmm... donuts
168 Posts
Welcome to SAS. :)

I know you love kung fu, but maybe explore some other martial arts to see if you can find a good teacher. Then you have something to do and you can keep an eye out for a good kung fu instructor.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Ashildr, welcome to :sas

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Welcome!