Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, ......don't know if it is going to wear off. But I took one of my brothers 75mg Effexor XR and 2mg Clonazepam and WOW. Prosocial and anxiety is totally gone.

Anyone experienced this on Effexor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unfortunately no, even though I take effexor daily.

I dont know if I have enough authority to say this, but should you really be taking your brother's meds? They could screw things up if you aren't careful, there could be strange side effects that you dont know about or interactions with your body that only a doctor would know about. Think about that, ok?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Unfortunately no, even though I take effexor daily.

I dont know if I have enough authority to say this, but should you really be taking your brother's meds? They could screw things up if you aren't careful, there could be strange side effects that you dont know about or interactions with your body that only a doctor would know about. Think about that, ok?
Agreed.
OP: Seems like you have an impulsive personality a tad, so just popping 2 mg of Klonopin doesn't seem like the smart thing to do. Effexor also takes a few weeks to feel effects if I'm not mistaken. So I'm happy you feel prosocial and happy, but I doubt it will last.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Could it be, that the clonazepam and its 5-HT increase worked along with Effexor's reuptake inhibition of 5-HT and the two together worked really well for your mood? It seems certainly possible and because clonazepam is reasonably fast acting this could be it.

I'm no expert, this is just a guess.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me tell you that I had the best night ever on this combination.No anxiety. I usually hate meeting people I don't know, my friend from Canada was over, .....and he invited some of his other mates over to meet us. I was practically the centre of attention, cracking jokes and telling stories.

Being comfortable in a social situation like that is usually my worst nightmare. I think this is too good to be true. So I am going to wait to see if the effexor effect wears off. I don't know if this is a manic episode, or if I am experiencing normality for the first time.

"Could it be, that the clonazepam and its 5-HT increase worked along with Effexor's reuptake inhibition of 5-HT and the two together worked really well for your mood?"

I am looking up some information just now to see if that could be what happened. I will keep you posted.

If it doesn't loose its effect, ....then I won't even need to go on Nardil like my pdoc was wanting me to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't this mix kind of what Nardil would do anyway?

Also forgot to mention, ...was in a busy shop, ...long queue and I didn't care. Stood and talked to the cashier.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Isn't this mix kind of what Nardil would do anyway?

Also forgot to mention, ...was in a busy shop, ...long queue and I didn't care. Stood and talked to the cashier.
Maybe Effexor XR, or even Effexor XR + Mirtazapine ( ie california rocket fuel) if your game, before trying out nardil. As euphoria has pointed out, this combo has been shown to be as effective as parnate (another unselective irreversible MAOI) without the need for a special diet, and less drug -drug interactions.

With that said, I have nothing against Nardil, if youd rather try that go for it, just suggesting some other options.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey jim, .....if these effects last. Then my troubles will be behind me.

My pdoc will have no problems at all with this combo. I would also like to add that it is only the XR that work like this.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Effexor didn't do anything to you. The klono did. Don't take high doses of Effexor on a whim.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are you talking about? I have been on Clonazepam for 6 years. Yes it helps the anxiety, ....but when I added the Effexor XR into the mix, ....it was a really powerful combination.

I know what I am doing. Been on Clonazepam for 6 years prn and never built tolerance.

I tried Effexor last night because I though that this combo would act similar to an MAOI.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yeah SRI drugs usually take weeks before they affect you positively, but a high dose of Effexor could act as a mild DRI and we all know DRIs elicit instant positive responses (cf. cocaine). Maybe the NRI effects were useful too.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah but at what dose does dopamine come into effect with Effexor XR? Isn't it something ridiculously high, that would just give you tons of side-effects anyway?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Yeah but at what dose does dopamine come into effect with Effexor XR? Isn't it something ridiculously high, that would just give you tons of side-effects anyway?
Because supposedly Effexor boosts dopamine in 2 different ways -

a) Since dopamine is inactivated by norepinephrine reuptake in frontal cortex, which largely lacks dopamine transporters, venlafaxine can increase dopamine neurotransmission in this part of the brain through it's norepinephrine reuptake action.

and

b) blocks the dopamine reuptake pump at high doses.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Searching the web I can't find many discussions about this med combo, I'll keep hunting.

Going to meet an old friend tonight that I haven't seen in years. Took my Clonazepam and Effexor XR. Don't feel any panic at all.

Had a phone consultation with doc today, .....and she is fine with me taking this combo. I will be seeing her next week. We did speak about the two week wash out period if I want to go down the Nardil route.

My brother has been on this combo for 2 years and says it doesn't loose it's efficacy, if that is the case then this will be the perfect combo for me. I want to find out some more info on this drug combo on the web.

I'll keep you guys posted on how I get on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Read the previous posts please. I have been on Clonazepam for 6 years. It wasn't just the clonazepam, ...because, eh, I know the effects well. When I mixed with the effexor I because prosocial.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I definitely think it's something to do with both Effexor XR and clonazepam working on 5HT, since one increases and the other inhibits the reuptake. That's the only reason I can think of for the effect you were feeling, and perhaps also why so instant.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts