Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fake job interview as part of therapy and my therapist said to come in wearing what I'd wear for an interview. But to be honest, I don't know what I'd wear and I'd think it depends on the job really.

I have some tops that might work, the only formal shoes I have are these black high heel ones I wore to prom when I was 16.. (they're not like fancy prom type ones just simple black heels.)
They still fit but I hate heels so I'll probably borrow some shoes from my mum if I can since luckily we're a similar size.

The only trousers I have though really are jeans and this one black pinstripe pair that have zips all over them basically like this but without the lace and studs:

http://images.esellerpro.com/2367/I/260/40/Bondage Trousers.jpg

She said not to go out and buy something but I have no idea.. I do have one pair of black jeans? It's probably going to look like I'm going to a funeral.

I feel so incompetent, it's like I'm 13.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
NO!
Dress up - look like you are taking the interview seriously.

·
6,040 Posts
I don't like wearing a suit. It's like pretending to be someone else. Fake. Pretentious. I prefer casual clothes. There is no dressing code at my current job. Which is great.

If I would be you, I would wear those jeans. It is a fake interview anyway. The point is to make small steps, not to force yourself. So, if you are going to repeat the fake interview a few times so you will be desensitized to that scenario, it should be ok to start by wearing the thing you are most comfortable in. Then, after you get used with the whole scenario, the job interview environment, you can wear something a bit more fancy.

If I would be doing same type of exercise and I would be asked to come in a suit from first moment, I would be very anxious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well its 2014 not 1914 yes u can get away with it these days and you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you, but depends how desperate u are as it could go wrong , it didnt for me i went in jeans got the job but i go in with a view im interviewing them , im not that desperate for some one to accept a fake me , i am who i am and i wear jeans im not a suit person , trousers at a funeral maybe for me

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would say no, but you're right it does depend on the job. Jeans might be acceptable work wear for some jobs but not at the interview stage I don't think. I wouldn't go with the zippy trousers even though they're pin-stripe. The black jeans sounds like the best option, if you want to stick to not buying anything new. Personally I'd get some smart-ish, dark trousers (navy, black or charcoal), who knows you might even wear them again! Even if it's not a proper job interview I think if you dress like it is (which may be completely different to how you usually dress/what you feel comfortable in) you will feel different...maybe good, maybe not, but it's therapy so hopefully you'll get a chance to talk about that. Go for it :) and good luck ;)

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't even know what sort of jobs I'd actually be able to apply for. Previously I would have been going for a job without a dress code, but now I have no idea what job I want/can get. So it's impossible to imagine. I wish on job descriptions they'd just post what clothes they want you to wear for clueless people. But of course it's just another test...

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
I've worn jeans to interviews before (never a job interview, to be fair, but for various volunteer jobs I landed successfully, and one unsuccessful interview when I was nominated student of the year). But they're not noticeably jeans. With a shirt covering the pockets, belt loops, and zipper, it appears as if I am wearing simple tight, black pants. I think so long as you're not wearing ragged, loose pants, you would be fine -- for a fake interview or otherwise. You do however need a semi-nice top (i.e. collared shirt, blouse, button up, "dress-shirt"), as the top is where the interviewer will most likely be focusing (as they watch you speak, and I assume most interviews are sit-down besides the initial entrance into the room).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Never wear jeans to a job interview. With that said you don't have to wear a 3 piece suit either, somewhere in between is fine. Like go with a pair of tan kahki pants, a black polo shirt, and dress shoes. It's professional looking for those who aren't into suits.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
No, but to a fake one yes. And no need to wear a suit to these stupid temp agencies. When I googled it everyone said you should wear a suit to look like you are serious and professional blah blah blah. Like these temp agencies take you seriously. :roll

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Never. I know you said your therapist didn't want you to buy anything, but bend the rules and get some trousers on the cheap from one of the nicer charity shops.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
As a side note, that sounds like a pretty good therapy idea :) Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've only had 2 job interviews (and got both jobs, because I aim low and undervalue myself and only apply for jobs I feel I can actually do, not because im amazing, both were awful in their own ways)

Anyways, the first one I borrowed some "trousers" from my dad..you know..proper suit ones because I don't own a single smart piece of clothing. trousers and a shirt, but it was winter so I kept a coat on anyway. the 2 interviewing me were in jeans and t-shirts..i felt a bit of a tit.

second job interview, I wore cargo pants, black..they could probably pass as suit trousers just slightly baggy..again a shirt. what did I get this time, a boss in jeans and trainers with his feet on the desk having a "laid back chat" with me and again I felt like a tit.

Are bosses all trying to be laid back and "hip" these days? or is it just the places I end up! I guess it depends on the sort of job your going for but I'd personally never go full on "professional" looking but thats just because I have no intention of working in such a place anyway. Jeans I don't know, me and jeans dont really get on, probably better to play it safe and like others have said aim somewhere in the middle just incase...but I don't know why potential employers should look down on anyone wearing casual clothes for an interview and mark them down..it doesn't make them any less of a person or incapable of doing a job :blank

·
Registered
537 Posts
A lot of it depends on the type of job as well. If it's an office job you should dress either in the 3 piece suit or a nice pair of slacks and a polo. If your a high school kid applying to be the bag boy at a supermarket...I don't think it's a must to wear something snazzy, just don't dress like you just rolled out of bed. I've once seen a person go in for a job interview in pajamas. Now that is laziness.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It depends on the job.

Most jobs would be a 'no' because most jobs want their employees to look professional.

However, I once went for an interview at a retail store, wearing dress pants and a nice top. The person interviewing me said what I wore wasn't appropriate because they wear jeans and a t-shirt in their store. It was just a dollar store... now that I think about it she probably thought that dressing up was like saying I was better than them somehow. Dunno...

I've been told that for construction jobs, they don't want you to wear fancy studs either. Some jeans and a decent top would be fine.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A lot of it depends on the type of job as well. If it's an office job you should dress either in the 3 piece suit or a nice pair of slacks and a polo. If your a high school kid applying to be the bag boy at a supermarket...I don't think it's a must to wear something snazzy, just don't dress like you just rolled out of bed. I've once seen a person go in for a job interview in pajamas. Now that is laziness.
My aunt used to work for city hall and she said that she once was interviewing a 20-something who had messy hair, mustard stain on his shirt, and holes in his jeans. That is NOT how you dress for city hall lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts