Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? (you can select multiple options)

• I'd join a therapy group run by a psycologist or therapist (pay per session)

Votes: 293 20.0%
  • I'd join a peer-to-peer therapy group based on commonly used CBT for social anxiety disorder (free e

Votes: 455 31.1%
  • I'd join a social group that focuses on doing social activities (free except for any activities done

Votes: 638 43.6%
  • I'd like to join a group, but think I would be too anxious to join one

Votes: 565 38.6%
  • There are already group(s) in my area and I've attended one

Votes: 76 5.2%
  • There are already group(s) in my area and I haven't attended one

Votes: 106 7.3%
  • I have no interest in joining a group of any kind

Votes: 208 14.2%
  • Other (include your comments in a reply post)

Votes: 40 2.7%

Would you join a social anxiety group in your area?

59K views 280 replies 246 participants last post by  twilightmoon 
#1 ·
One common complaint we've seen is a lack of groups and we're considering ways of addressing this.

Please share your thoughts. It would be very much appreciated! :)

Update: May 15th, 2012

Would you be willing to share your thoughts on online social anxiety groups? Maybe even test out a group later (if you're comfortable)?

If so, please contact me at groups@socialanxietysupport.com. No pressure. I'd just want to ask you a few questions to get your opinions. It wouldn't require any commitment from you and your feedback would be about the idea, not about you personally or me personally. I wouldn't take any negative feedback personally. I hope to hear from you!

#5 ·
Yes, if you initiate a group on meetup.com, there is a fee involved. I paid for 6 months and I'll probably have to renew soon. There was a 50% off deal going on when I signed up.

I'm not sure what the current prices are, but it's easy enough to make a test group for yourself and see what they're charging.

#9 ·
Yah, and I know therapists who have the problem of filling groups that they want to start. We are going to work on bridging that gap.

Many thanks to everyone who has voted and/or shared their thoughts and experiences. :)

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
There's at least one in my area. I have no interest currently.

I have been to a SA group gathering and didn't like it. It actually made my SA worse because I didn't know how to act around other people with SA. I was so quiet that even people with SA thought I was weird. You would think you will feel better because you are around people with the same problem, but it's not any easier - it's just like meeting "normal" people.
I've never been to one, but I imagine that's exactly how it would turn out for me. A local group's activities were rather summercamp-y, which would've been pure torture for me. Stuff like skating rinks, arcades, amusement parks, tourist spots, etc. I'm not into that stuff at all, so it wouldn't matter who I'm there with.

If anyone wants to start an SA street gang though, PM me.

#11 ·
i guess you mean for therapy and not just the socializing?

i did a group for social anxiety - it costs money because it was run by two psychologist, but it was a bit helpful. we did CBT type work in the open and would set goals for ourselves and did exposure within the group (which was prob most helpful, since it was forced). i don't know how all of the groups work but i'd definitely recommend it to anyone who has the chance.
i'm also doing it again, but this time it is for a research study which is cool and since i'm a volunteer it is for free :)

#18 ·
My psychologist said that they used to have a group thing offered at the counseling center, but it wasn't specifically social anxiety. She said if she can get enough people that actually have social anxiety to want to do it, then she might get one started, but I'm still not sure if I'd be able to make myself go.

I also went to that meetup.com website and joined the group for social anxiety in my area, but I haven't gone to a single meeting. Everyone in it is much older than me so I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable.

#21 ·
I don't know if there are any SA groups in my area, there probably are since I live in a city. I've been asked by my counselor if I wanted to join a group but so far have yet to find any that sounded interesting to me. I'd most likely join an SA group if I found one nearby.

#22 ·
I'd be willing to meet others in my area with SA. In fact, I've met 5 SAS members in person.

Problem with SA meetings is that the people who attend them (or rather don't attend) have SA. Someone who lives in Madison tried to find people early this year who'd want to get together somewhere in Wisconsin, with the idea of meeting in Madison, Milwaukee or anywhere in the 75 miles between. She gave up, describing it as "like trying round up a herd of cats". I can certainly understand her frustration and eventual giving up. It's hard as hell to pry those with SA out of their home and into a gathering. When I met with 4 other SAS members back 3 years ago I ended up being more talkative than most of them. You know there's a problem when I seem like the talkative one.:lol

#26 ·
I'd be willing to meet others in my area with SA. In fact, I've met 5 SAS members in person.

Problem with SA meetings is that the people who attend them (or rather don't attend) have SA. Someone who lives in Madison tried to find people early this year who'd want to get together somewhere in Wisconsin, with the idea of meeting in Madison, Milwaukee or anywhere in the 75 miles between. She gave up, describing it as "like trying round up a herd of cats". I can certainly understand her frustration and eventual giving up. It's hard as hell to pry those with SA out of their home and into a gathering. When I met with 4 other SAS members back 3 years ago I ended up being more talkative than most of them. You know there's a problem when I seem like the talkative one.:lol
That's why there should be furry serene animals at every gathering, along with food, music, and amusement rides or volleyball or minigolf or water polo. Okay maybe just the animals.:roll

#25 ·
I was in a therapist run CBT group for awhile, but I dropped out because I love quitting things. I would probably be willing to try something like that in the future. I would also be willing to meet people from this site for social activities or even CBT if that was the only option. I have met someone off of this site in person.

#28 ·
I go to SA groups, embarrass myself or otherwise decide I can't return, avoid seeing those people ever again, and find another group to go to. Ready to repeat the process whenever a new group is available.

#31 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback! :)

Beyond the "Groups" functionality currently available on the forums, we are considering introducing a separate section of the site specifically for forming groups (social, peer to peer and therapist)

Are there any features or functionality that you think would make it easier to form, organize, and keep a group going (for any of the three types of groups)? Any suggestions are welcome!

One example of things that will be available is searching by zip code to find groups and people interested in starting/joining groups within XX miles of you.

Thanks!

#55 ·
One example of things that will be available is searching by zip code to find groups and people interested in starting/joining groups within XX miles of you.
This was exactly something I was thinking about.

We could add 4 items in peoples profiles -

1. ask them if they are interested in meeting with other folks in their area
2. Have them input their zip code
3. ask them how far they are willing to travel.
4. ask them what type of meetings they like to have (fun filled atmosphere versus quiet/relaxed atmosphere)

What I hope to achieve out it is that I can discuss my SA issues with somebody who is going through the same issues.
Also I dont have to pay for it (one time I paid a psychologist out of pocket for every session and got nothing out of it - so I am not too inclined to have a paid professional involved)
Thirdly I hope to make friends with somebody so I dont have to live my life like a hermit.

btw - I chose "other" in the poll

#32 ·
I was thinking maybe we could have a social anxiety group that isn't about socializing or therapy, per se. While we all know we each have SA and that silence is acceptable, we still feel weird about saying nothing when we meet. And the possibility of any awkwardness is enough to deter some from going. I remember reading someone who described an SA meeting he went to and felt terrible afterward because the other SAers managed to talk to each other but he couldn't. So it was even worse then feeling left out of a regular group.

So maybe something like an art class or music lessons for those with SA. People could show up and you wouldn't have to talk or feel weird about silence. The focus would be on painting or whatever and not socializing or even therapy. We could try to find what skills some of us have to share. I have no idea how this would work in practice though.

#43 ·
So maybe something like an art class or music lessons for those with SA. People could show up and you wouldn't have to talk or feel weird about silence. The focus would be on painting or whatever and not socializing or even therapy. We could try to find what skills some of us have to share. I have no idea how this would work in practice though.
I like the idea in theory, but there wouldn't be enough people in most areas to split into interest-based groups, and there's no common interest you can count on.

An alternate idea I've had is an SA meetup group where people find another member or two who's interested in attending the same other-topiced meetup group. For example, I don't have the nerve to join a hiking group or a writers group on meetup... but if I knew I wouldn't be the only antisocial freak attending, that could make it less threatening and more possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.