Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that if I am not thinking of social anxiety, I am not anxious. Because basically it's constantly in the back of my mind. The thing is, as soon as I notice I'm not anxious I realize I am not thinking of my anxiety and then, obviously, I'm thinking of it again.
But if I say to myself "don't think of anxiety" obviously I'm going to think of it.

You know, I think that I've made it into such a monster in my head over the years that I'm constantly thinking about it. I know that in the back of my mind I am constantly thinking, "How do I fix my anxiety?" Because I am so afraid of it and it is so damaging to me and my life.

Somehow I have to not be afraid of it. Any advice anyone? Don't you agree that this line of reasoning makes sense? Another way of essentially saying the same thing as "don't think of my anxiety" is "don't try to solve it." Well, if I'm not trying to solve it, I will eventually not be thinking of it. Or so it would seem. But I have this stupid obsession that if I'm telling myself not to solve it, that's a way of trying to solve it. But I guess that's dumb? If I just keep obsessing about how to solve it, it's not going to get better. That's just something I need to change.

Anyway, I once saw someone on Youtube who said that he was trying to stop his anxiety by WANTING TO HAVE IT. In other words, embracing it, trying to cause it. And he said it was working great. So that's basically another way of looking at what I'm talking about here. I've also heard that a way to deal with anxiety is to accept it. Same thing.

Do I think too much?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know what you're saying, it reminds me of getting over something/someone. If you tell yourself, "I can't think about it" ...you're going to think about it. But I'm not convinced that not thinking about your social anxiety is going to ease it or make it go away. Because you'll still be put in situations that make you naturally anxious. Ignoring your anxiety is not the answer, nor do I think it's effective.

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
Yes, I am constantly thinking about it and how it will factor into whatever I have to do during the day. I'm almost positive that I'm just making things 10x worse for myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes but I've solved it. Whenever you're in a tough situation, think 'I do not have SA or nothing in the past has ever happened'. Then if something still happens think, 'That's happened before, but I've survived it', it's kinda awesome in a way like time travelling to your childhood with your adult knowledge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts