Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Would you buy clothes online?

2K views 52 replies 53 participants last post by  mezzoforte 
#1 ·
Just looked at what summer clothes I have and I need new shirts all my current ones are faded from multiple washings. I'm just thinking would it be better to go to a dept store and shop or just pick a few shirts online. I've never really shopped for clothes online before, other things yes but clothes never.

Have you ever purchased clothes online and if so did your prefer it over shopping in store. Going out to the store is nice sometimes, but I don't have a car and I would either have to catch a bus or bug someone to take me there. My limit is going to be 200. either in store or online.

#2 ·
shopping online has a far better selection but it's kind of gamble. Even when they give measurements, they aren't always right and it doesn't account for fit nor if you are going to be ok with the feel and texture of the material (or account for shrinkage even if it is in your sizing) and they don't always look the way they do in the pictures they give (which is usually in ideal lighting and has been touched up). If you're dead set on shopping online, i'd probably stick to brands and fits you've worn in the past and have experience with... Or just going to a department store strictly to try a few things on.

#3 ·
I just recently got an order for some clothes I bought online; they were on sale.

I like shopping online because in the store there is so much choice that it is overwhelming. But online things are laid out in such a way that I don't see everything at once.

The only disadvantage is you don't know if the item would actually fit you.

#8 ·
Buy all my clothes online. I am tall and it is hard to find clothes that fit me from the stores so I am glad there are online places I can buy the sizes I need. Most places give you a shipping label to send it back. Never had any problems returning anything.

#9 ·
Yeah, it's more convenient. But it can be annoying, especially how different brands have different sizing. So I may be a medium in this brand, but that corresponds to a small in another brand.:blank

A lot of the time I don't even bother trying to exchange it as the cost of postage is quite a bit, and I procrastinate about it. So it sits in my wardrobe till I chuck it out.

#10 ·
I have done but it's risky for me, especially with trousers/ dresses though to be fair even when I buy them in real life they don't usually fit length wise. I'm pretty short by UK standards.

#13 ·
i always do, prefer it than going into stores

my mum always like tries to make me try stuff on and holds up shirts to me and stuff to check sizes and stuff and it's literally so embarrassing and changing rooms are just a no go area so i prefer doing online shopping, plus they have nicer things : ) the only thing i have to shop in-store for is hats because i have a massive head lmfao

#15 ·
Online shopping in theory (not just for clothes) is perfect for the avoidant, anxious individual who does not want to go through the dizzying hassle of browsing through a crowded store, communicating with a dressing room attendant, being potentially judged by your clothing choice in hand, and arriving at the counter to face a disgruntled, gum-chewing twenty year old cashier.

However, the downside to online shopping of any kind is that you won't see the product until you pay for it. Some sites have policies where you can return/exchange defective products, but even that is a hassle to reship everything. For less expensive products, sometimes it's cheaper to just stick with the defective product than return and wait for a new one.

For clothing, it's hard to know what size of their brand will fit you best. There's not trial and error like there is with real life stores with dressing rooms. I've ordered a couple shirts in the smallest size available before, only to realize when I rip open the box and try it on, it sags over me like a potato sack. Also, some sites show their products in the most ideal image (obviously), so only later does the unfortunate customer realize that their beautifully crisp image of the the CMC high-hoofing turns out to be a cheap fan made decal that begins cracking after the first couple washes. Make sure you read customer reviews before buying anything, of course, although even those can be false indicators of quality.

#18 ·
I buy everything but pants and blazers/jackets.

#25 ·
Probably not. I'm pretty picky about clothes and even when I pick them out in person I often end up hating them. Especially since my goal is basically to buy clothes I'll be wearing for years. I pretty much have to buy them bigger than they need to be so I'll be covered if I gain a little weight. My pants end up not fitting well around the waist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.