Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
Not as much. I could be myself more because I wouldn't have to impress anyone to get a job or a letter of recommendation to get through school.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I think it would have it's own set of problems. I would always be wondering if people only liked me for my money. Also people tend to get really nasty when they are jealous.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
I would have the same amount of anxiety. I don't feel any different when I didn't make much money. The big negative thing if I had a enough money to live without working, I would end up moving back out in the country and getting away from people, and becoming a crazy mountain man that has a pet bear. :lol At least when I work It forces me out of my house to socialize with others.

·
Banned
501 Posts
If I was rich, there is a high likelihood that I wouldn't have SAD because I can hire the best clinical psychologist in treating my anxiety disorder. Of course, another important factor is motivation and I have plenty of that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd be Howard Hughes. Money isn't a factor for my social anxiety. I currently have enough money to live off of (pay rent, utilities, clothe & feed and entertain myself) comfortably for a year, if I lost my job. But I still live like I barely make ends meet. I'm just frugal. And I think if I was a millionaire, besides taking care of my family and buying myself a bigger house and everything I ever wanted, I'd still spend most of my time in my mansion away from people (except for my five sexy mexican maids, :b haha).

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
i think i still would be, i'd probably be avoiding all the usual normal activities and let my maid's/butler's do all the work for me.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
It would be awesome to have lots of money. Wouldn't have to work. But I'd be the same SA person, with the same friendship issues. Who would I invite to my mansion?? Who would see all my stuff? Who would travel with me? Etc.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
This question comes up a lot-because it's just so irresistable to consider.- Many say that money would'nt change their basic problems.- For me it would make a huge difference-There's so much living I'd like to do and ugly as it may be to say it-much of revolves around money for it to even be a possibility.- I'd love to travel,take classes,buy all the books I want,go to museums,plays,whenever I choose.- I'm not interested in the best car,biggest mansion,flashy jewelry.- Just being able to follow my interests,secure my future and look out for those I love.- I have a disabled relative-I'd love to know he would never be homeless or abused. I'm sure I'd still have problems-but the quality of my live would improve greatly. I could feel my life with interests and enjoyment which is a lot more than I'm able to do now.- I don't want to just exist-I want to live!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a great question! I would be less anxious about some things and more anxious about others. I think having money would allow me to avoid situations that make me anxious. Like the office work place.
Having money is not about materials for me, it's about having choices and independence. If I had money, I would not buy a ferrari. I would be able to afford to live in a remote place and not have to deal with people. Money equals freedom from the rat race.

·
Banned
768 Posts
This was a fun question to ponder. But no, It wouldn't change my SA. But It 'would' give me more time to devote to tackling and experimenting with my SA, which means I'd probably overcome it faster.

But would the money on its own change anything? Nope. Even If I wore the finest clothes, drove the sexiest most expensive car, had an awesome crib, knew I had more money than those around me, etc. etc., I would still be anxious underneath it all.

You can put all the paint you want on that rusty car, but it's still just a rusty car. ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
i would still be anxious... there is a famous person that i read about a while back (cant remember her name) ... she actually has a really hard time going to red carpet events. i think the only thing that money will be able to help is buying a lot of time with a therapist :)

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Yes. How could money even begin to change that?
And, if anything, it'll make it worse. If I don't HAVE to go out, then I'll stay in the house even more and never work on it. I'll have people to go out for me, do everything I need to do, take most of my responsibilities away. I'll probably grow even more anxious around people by not being around them.
Now, I wouldn't mind being comfortable, money wise, or even rich, but I don't think it would make it so that I'm not anxious. I could hire someone who is more equipped to treat it, but that's about it. I would still need to put the same effort forth to get over it. I'd probably have even more time to work with it and do little tests and experiments with it, but the money won't really do much.

·
SnotRocketTime
404 Posts
my anxiety would still be there of course! i'd quit my job with the quickness though if i won lotto type money. i'd go to all kinds of big events, sports, concerts that type of thing to fill my free time. helicopter rides..i want to do that!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts