Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about which jobs I've had that I liked most to try to decide what I should currently do. My favorite job was when I was 15 working at a frozen yogurt shop. (Of course I wouldn't do this now at my age.) The reason this job was the best is because the boss would show up in the morning just to help setup the machines, toppings, cleaning, etc and then he would take off for the day. I just worked with him for about 45 minutes in the morning. So I was alone until my replacement showed up later in the afternoon and our shifts only overlapped for .5-1 hour. (I don't remember the exact time.) During my shift I didn't experience anxiety with customers coming in. At lunch the line would be out the door but I still felt relaxed. So I'm just wondering if this is a job environment that a lot of people with SA would find ok or even good since you are working by yourself and the customers just come and go.

(Before that job I worked at Baskin Robbins and it was hell because there was always at least one other coworker behind the counter but often times there were even 4 behind the counter. Often the boss was there on top of that and he would just come and go unexpectedly -not like the other one where you could count on him not coming back.)

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is interesting - the concept of working alone without supervision is safe to you.

I seem to think the opposite - I dislike any contact whatsoever with parties outside my organisation unless professional codes of conduct governs both our actions. I accomplish feats by not wasting time putting up a show up front by my lonesome but working in an insulated environment focusing on efficiency and decisiveness.

As such, a law firm with its highly complex, territorial corporate environment is perfect because there are so many formalities in place (even for support crews) that nothing ever goes out of line.

To you, the coworkers are a source of anxiety but to me, they are a means of reassigning or discharging liabilities that I'd otherwise have to bear myself. It's not that I don't wish to hold responsibility - I simply have a right whether to accept or decline cases as they come and go (depending on level of complexity and current assignments) and that makes people think twice before they throw you a monkey wrench: they are liable themselves for assigning tasks without ensuring their completion.

And being able to draw boundaries to my professional liabilities means I am free to plan ahead as I see fit in order to prevent future complications for my department. A luxury I do not have in the restaurant industry despite being a manager - you are on the defensive and are literally, at mercy to the customers.

Who, in a society different to yours, do not in good order respect the lone lady behind the counter but seek ways and means to exploit said lone operator of the business.

So, I say bring on the evil secretaries and their arcane tomes of legal knowledge - they bring order to chaos.

·
mmm... donuts
168 Posts
You are the opposite of me. Not having coworkers would be difficult for me. I want to see familiar faces and have a chance to talk to people. Dealing with the public would be very stressful. If there was a long line I would want to run and hide. I can see why you don't want your manager around though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts