Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
GameGuy
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now in my life, laziness and unmotivation are a BIG problem for me. I am very lazy with doing anything. Even if it's a very important thing, like my eating or work habits, even my personal hygiene, I am very lazy with it. And I don't really feel motivated to do anything anyway.
I recently just moved out on my own from living with my Mother for the past 22 years that are my life. And even that was caused from a misunderstanding between us. Thankfully though, I did move out on good terms with her. But I have lived in my new home for almost a month now, and I still have a few boxes crammed here and there. Now, I have a small place and the excuse I keep telling myself is that I don't have anywhere to put my stuff. But honestly, I am just lazy and don't feel like unpacking. And I will say that depression does come knocking at my door every so often, but I haven't let it in again. I was depressed for about 2 years, but that was a self diagnosis and I believe I have gotten over that depression. Also, I have had suicidal thoughts over recent time, mainly when things are just going down the drain for me. However, I have a different kind of thought I think. I don't really think about ending my life, but rather I think of what it would be like if I did. And always, ALWAYS, one of the first things I think of is if I did kill myself, how would it affect my family and friends? And that makes me full worse, but in a good way. And the suicide thoughts go away. Plus, if they get really strong, I'll call a friend who I know can talk with me and help reverse my thoughts. My philosophy for planning for my future is basically, "Remember yesterday, live for today, and take tomorrow as it comes." I don't believe this is a bad philosophy, but I do think it could be improved.

I guess I am creating this post because I would like to rid myself of these feelings of laziness and unmotivation. I know how to do so in some ways, but it's getting me to commit that's my biggest problem. I want to change mentally, but physically, I'm a stone. And I honestly just don't know where to go to change my attitude.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I totally feel you, there are some days that I just want to sleep and laze around in bed all day, but I can't have that because lots of things need to be done. :doh

Anyway, in regards to the laziness/unmotivation, maybe you should try reinforcing yourself? Like rewarding yourself after you've done something. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant. For example, one time I was so unmotivated and lazy when it came to finishing my research report, and what I did was I told myself that after I finished that, I would treat myself to a big lunch on KFC, and that I did. :boogie Also, maybe thinking and telling yourself that doing this or that will help you get somewhere? That "If I don't do this, I won't be able to get anywhere as I won't be able to accomplish anything". Or even just telling yourself repeatedly that "I need to do this".

I don't know if that will be able to help you, but that's just some thoughts. I hope everything gets better. :)

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I wasn't very motivated to unpack either after moving out. I guess I made a goal to at least take care of something small each night, and a month of small things can be a lot. I don't know, if it really sucks, maybe push a box, for instance, that you know has stuff that belongs in the kitchen about halfway to the kitchen and call it good for the day. Maybe next day the rest of the way. Maybe next day open it and almost think about the stuff inside ... or whatever pace works for you. :)

Or even just telling yourself repeatedly that "I need to do this".
You could also tell yourself, "I want to do this," which you'd probably admit to.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Depression is usually a cause for this and I have been depressed and lazy for years. SSRI anti-depressants can help even if you only use them for a little while. I took 5htp and it worked amazing for me but only for a week or two. I'm sure prescription SSRI's would be a lot more effective. It also made me less anxious but this was more because I just had an overall mood boost and is not permanent. So if you're going to get on antidepressants make sure you start doing CBT so that when you get off them you are actually better otherwise you may even be worse off than when you first got on medication.

So yeah CBT is the number one option for everyone with social anxiety in my opinion and this is because studies have shown this.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I feel what you're saying.. I'm lazy and unmotivated aswell,used to have suicidal thoughts also. Got over them but I'm still suffering from depression. Sadly, I can't give you any advice..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.