Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really worried about my future. I graduate University in a year, but once I get my degree I really don't know what to do next.
One of the reasons why I decided to go to University and see it through until the end was because of my parents. They wanted me to go to school right away after high school, and get a job right away following graduation.
The problem is I don't think my degree is gonna guarantee me a job (major in Geography, minor History). I'm afraid that my parents will become disappointed if I don't become successful and well-off after University. Being born from immigrant parents in North America, I'm the only one in my family that has the opportunity to study at a University and potentially get a good paying job. I don't want to seem like a failure to them... I think about everything they've done to help raise me, and how upset they'll be when their son won't grow up into the person they thought.
If I don't become successful in their eyes, I'm afraid that I'll be a disgrace to the family. Anyone catch my drift?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is pretty much my exact situation except my major is pharmacology.

My thought is that we simply have to come to terms with reality and try not to worry too much about the future because it is unpredictable and largely beyond our control.

Just let life happen and hopefully opportunities will present themselves. At least that is what I tell myself now to help me endure my last year of undergrad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yea I get it. I'm in my last year as well. But one thing I realized is that a big part of my problem comes from worrying, or more like imagining, that I have this horrendous future to look forward to. So I try to look as far as a month (or 2) ahead. If I can't do anything about whatever it is within that time frame, then I try to forget about it. Otherwise do what you can now. Those are the only 2 options really.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts