Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally sick of worrying about stuff and thinking of everything so negatively but I just feel like i cant think positive. Every time i go to work if something goes wrong like i say something stupid or mess up i feel so negative afterwards. I really hate going to work because i always worry what people think of me and i try my best to not look like a total idiot. I am a very shy person and i havnt been in this voluntary job very long about a week thus far and some stuff i have never done before ( am working with people with learning disabilities). Am doing this voluntary work to be ready for uni and give me some confidence 2. Could anyone tell me how i could get rid of negative thoughts and worries cos it just totally takes over my life.

thanks bessymate4eva xx :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find the only thing that works for me is to just try and keep busy. I hate Fridays because I know ive got to work on Saturday. But if I just keep busy I find myself not thinking and worrying about it so much. I dont know if theres a way to completly rid yourself of negative thoughts and worries tho.

·
Banned
40 Posts
first off all the only alternative to negative thoughts are not positive thinking.
because it is hard to do a 180 from negative to positive, this doesnt work out instantly.
so what you might wanna do is first trying to abolish the negative thoughts.

as you recognizing you are thinking negative thoughts, say this chatterbox (the part of you that starts always with this negativity) to shut up. make it stop.
you certainly have the control over your thoughts and therefore it lys in your hand to stop it.
when you had a break for a while what you can try is to set easy positive thoughts. not extreme ones but little things that you like about yourself.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hey negative thoughts come up for all of us here. We here 'em, we experience, we feel 'em. It's best to just allow yourself to be human, and they're there they may not go away anytime soon and its okay to feel 'em.

·
LookingForMyLife
598 Posts
I am totally sick of worrying about stuff and thinking of everything so negatively but I just feel like i cant think positive. Every time i go to work if something goes wrong like i say something stupid or mess up i feel so negative afterwards. I really hate going to work because i always worry what people think of me and i try my best to not look like a total idiot. I am a very shy person and i havnt been in this voluntary job very long about a week thus far and some stuff i have never done before ( am working with people with learning disabilities). Am doing this voluntary work to be ready for uni and give me some confidence 2. Could anyone tell me how i could get rid of negative thoughts and worries cos it just totally takes over my life.

thanks bessymate4eva xx :)
one thing you can do is think of positive statements to counter your negative or anxious thoughts while you are in those situations(aka positive affirmations). Like if you are around a group of people and are very nervous, tell yourself I am relaxed and confident, even if you dont believe it, if you practice it enough it may start to kick in. It takes a lot of commitment to try and do things like this. After a year or so of doing it myself, I find that it does work sometimes. Hope that helps:) I learned the idea through therapy which I still attend.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd recommend getting a book on cognitive therapy like Feeling Good by David Burns. Cognitive therapy is all about conquering negative thinking. This book recommends writing down your negative thoughts. Then you identify the type of negative thought based on a list of common cognitive distortions. For example, if I think to myself: "Everyone thinks I'm stupid," I identify this as distortions called "mind-reading” and "all-or-nothing thinking." You then challenge this thought by writing down the inaccuracies in this statement. First of all, how do I know everyone thinks I'm stupid? I can't read minds. Plus, does EVERYONE think I'm stupid? Do my mom or husband think I'm stupid? Of course not, that's ridiculous. And even if one or two people do actually think that I’m stupid (which I have no way of knowing b/c I can't read minds), is it the end of the world? It might be unpleasant, but the world isn't going to end. The people I care about will still love me just b/c a couple of idiots think I'm stupid, that's their problem not mine. I’m not stupid, they're the stupid ones for thinking I’m stupid! Anyway, you get the idea. I've been working on conquering negative thoughts for several years, and while I still have them, I am much better at catching them and stopping them. Just keep working on it and it will get easier. Realizing that you're having them is the first step, and you're already there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts