Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Would you have a kid eventhough it might end up with SA?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I would be able to help if it had SA

• No, I would adopt

• I already adopted

• Other

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided early on that I didn't want to have kids if it meant that I would pass on my SA and/or Depression to them. I don't want them to go through what I have.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey, it's me again :p I just wanted to make it clear that I don't think it's wrong to have kids if you have SA. I'm just curious if I'm unusual for feeling this way.
And if there is anybody out there that has had kids and wants to share their feelings and experiences about it, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i say. Yes, but I would be able to help if it had SA. I think if you suspect that they have SA, you could start working with that at a very young age, may help them alot later on in life.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I selected yes. I don't believe that one is destined to have SA or depression just because a parent does. I think while there MAY be something genetic involved that the right upbringing and and younger life many who have SA (myself included) wouldn't have it so with the right efforts a child doesn't HAVE to have it just because a parent does.

·
Registered
660 Posts
UltraShy said:
Can any of you seriously imagine me with kids?
No. But then, it's not likely I'll have kids either. And I'm okay with that. But, to answer the question, if I deliberately refrained from having children, it wouldn't be because I was afraid of them having SA. It'd be because I don't like kids. :)

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I have 3 kids, ages 24, 14, and 11, so they are all at lw=east as old as I was when I started having problems. So far, so good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's unlikely that it will be available in my reproductive lifetime but if it is I would select germline engineering. That way some of my traits could be selected so I could identify with my child yet he wouldn't deal with the more extreme and unpleasant physical manifestations of anxiety. Being analytical and emotionally cautions is I believe a good thing - many of mankind's great thinkers fit the SA type to some degree.

But Genetic Engineering (Germline so the Alleles are passed on to his offspring) would allow one to theoretically get the better of all worlds. It wouldn't autmatically make them super-man a lá Gattaca but at least they could avoid unpleasant genetic conditions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't want to be a parent.

·
Registered
154,229 Posts
YES! I don't care if it has SA; I wouldn't love him/her any less. Don't mess wit my babies! :lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can't wait to be a mom! I am going to raise my child/ren in a far different environment than I was raised. I will love them even if they have social anxiety, but they won't suffer from it for the same reason that I do -- the way that I was raised.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Kids are totally, totally awesome! I had my daughter later in life, the best thing I have ever, ever done.........Nothing else in life matters;-) Nothing;-)

You don't have to repeat the way you were raised..........

SA..........My daughter.......is shy, yet.............Outgoing, (Much like me...)............She'll be fine.....................She gets a mass dose of encouragment;-) everyday, she is perfect just the way she is;-)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
daphne said:
I can't wait to be a mom! I am going to raise my child/ren in a far different environment than I was raised. I will love them even if they have social anxiety, but they won't suffer from it for the same reason that I do -- the way that I was raised.
:dito :dito :dito

It's as if I'd posted it! I feel exactly the same way.

xoxo
Maggi

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.