Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 20 and my sister is 17. Her BF comes over everyday and stays for dinner on most nights. I have known him better over the months - I used to avoid seeing him despite him asking repetitively to meet me.

He knows of my problems and can relate to some of them. At the moment, he is helping me with gaining some weight by encouraging me to take protein shakes and will soon be taking me to the gym. Neither of us have brothers and my sister says he really looks out for me as his "younger brother". I see him as an older brother too.

He constantly invites me to join him and my sister to eat out and hang out, which I usually go.

I am worried about what might happen on New Year's Eve - it is very likely him and my sister would invite me to join them along with their own friends - in which they have a lot. They might be inviting me out of pity and as much as I want to go out on the night, I'd feel weird being the only one without my own friends. I live in Sydney and the whole city centre goes wild on the night - I have been to the fireworks for the past 2 years but only with one friend, which I am reluctant to let people know I have.

I definitely won't be staying home, even if it means going out alone on the night but I don't want to be invited out of pity either nor let their friends see me alone. I might go out with that only friend I hang out with but I constantly lie to him about my other friends and the things I do to make myself seem more social.

The problem is my sister's BF is always interested in knowing where I am and what I'm doing and the problem is that guy is a high school friend of mine who was considered a weirdo - no one hanged out with him and I constantly worry about people seeing me with him. I only hang out with him because I have no one else to but he thinks I'm his best friend. That'd make me feel more dumb if my sister's BF found out who I hang out with.

Also, I really want to go clubbing on the night and have some real fun - is this possible with only 1 friend?

·
I have to feed my dog
1,889 Posts
yeah, go clubbing with that weird guy. sometimes you have to do things like that in order to get anywhere in life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts