Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know that this isn't exactly about my anxiety but my mom has it as well. She's in her mid 50's and pretty much doesn't eat as much as she's supposed to. Today she got back from her doctors appointment and had a few pieces of candy corn and said " well this is the first thing I've eaten all day" and I got mad at her. She's always conscious about gaining weight and she was excited that she could fit into her old size 4 pants. Now this isn't anything new as she's been like this for years. She probably doesn't go over 1000 calories a day. She doesn't exercise and thinks that not eating a lot is the best way to avoid gaining weight. I'm a guy and I know women are different and I can't just go up to her and talk to her about her weight, but I think it's ridiculous. The best way to stay healthy and lose weight is to eat more healthy calories and exercise at the same time. She doesn't listen to that. Her mother (my grandma) is the same way with her weight, shes a stick and it's funny because my mom gets mad at her for not gaining weight. Any ideas anyone? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Its so frustrating when u feel u have to parent ur parents sometimes, my mum has terrible anxiety and stays in bed all day. I can't fix it. I have spent so much energy worrying about her and trying to help her and it's just caused me pain and hurt. I was advised by my counsellor to just stop trying to fix her. Fix myself first. And I think she was right, there's only so much you can do for someone else. Your mum was obviously raised like that and has learnt this weight obsession from her mother, so it's really not her fault. Maybe try and ask her about it rather than getting mad at her. Questions are a great way to get people to realize their own problems. Or download some weight loss ideas and print them off. They will all say what she's doing is unhealthy. Goood luck anyway!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I worry about my mom, too. She likes to eat candy quite a bit and even
hides it from others at times. I tell her to eat healthy because I want her
to live for a long time and not get diabetes or cancer. My mom has had
weight issues but she doesn't care to exercise.
She's an adult and I can't really tell her what to do.
She has to make her choices for herself.

She could get her sugar intake from grapes, apples
or plums but she refuses to change her eating habits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts