Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is about 5 am where i am at.

my dog just woke me up with his bowel sounds. like...you could hear his bowel sounds from across the room.

he was very excited when i rolled out of bed and took him downstairs. i let him out and he started immediately chowing down on grass.

i gave him a little bit of food, left him outside a couple of minutes to do his business/eat more grass if he wanted to, and took him back inside.

he seems better. he went to sleep, and the bowel sounds have certainly decreased. i hear them on occasion now - not constantly.

the same thing happened the other night.

so anyway...does anybody have any ideas about it?
i'm thinking maybe he was just hungry and all that noise was air in his stomach, but then why is he eating the grass?

he's on a diet now because he's too fat. he gets one meal in the morning.
maybe i need to give him a little food before bed from now on?

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
You need to feed him quality food not dog food, it's full of ....

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you changed his diet it could just be upsetting his stomach. Specially if you have changed the food but even just changing how much he gets and how often can do it. If you need to change an animals diet you should do it slowly. As far as the grass eating goes I wouldn't worry about it. Eating grass for dogs is like pepto for us. I personally would give him a week maybe two if he wasn't acting different and if the problem persist then take him to the vet.

199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys, thanks for the responses.

he's an old boy, with lots of little health issues. he injured his hip about a month ago. hence the diet cutback so that he can slim down. he gets carried up and down the stairs right now because of his hip. not that he minds :)

his diet got changed 3 weeks ago - he didn't have any adjustment problems then.
it wouldn't develop now, would it?

i will keep an eye on it though...if it gets worse - vet.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
One meal? Can I ask what food he's on? It'd likely be easier on him to spread out the food to two meals so he's not really hungry at night. If he wants it, that is. A low cal diet spread out seems like a nicer option to me but I'm not the vet.

Dogs eat grass when they're feeling nauseous - the grass will often make them vomit, they know this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
his diet got changed 3 weeks ago - he didn't have any adjustment problems then.
it wouldn't develop now, would it?
I wouldn't think so, 3 weeks should be plenty to time to adjust to a new diet. My best guess is the food. If he is an older dog he might be starting to have trouble digesting it. It might just be because he is old and that is they way he is now. It probably isn't anything to worry about but if you are that concerned take him to the vet. It might cost you some money but at least you wouldn't have to worry anymore.

199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right now he gets a can of dog food every morning. pet pride cups.

and also i give him some american cheese with 81 mg of chewable baby aspirin in it for his hip. my friend who is in vet school at the moment recommended it. he gets that once a day at breakfast.

he also gets the occasional table scrap when i don't feel like finishing my food or he just looks pathetic enough.

he is doing much better this morning :)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If you changed to any type of diet food they are crap and will cause digestive upset. Use a good quality dog food and just feed less of it. Most dogs are fine with one meal a day but some small dogs can have hypoglycemia issues and if you are feeding a very small amount of dog food you may need to give them something else to fill their stomach. If your dog will eat it a lot of people use green beans between meals because it gives them no calories but fills their stomach.

Try http://dogfoodanalysis.com/ and http://www.dogfoodproject.com/ to pick out good dog food.

199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haven't heard that about the green beans, and he'll eat anything.
might give that a try.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Another thing I missed in your previous post that a lot of people actually do is the cheese. Dogs like nearly every adult animal in the world are lactose intollerant. Quite frequently people use cheese to get pills down them including pills for digestive upset when cheese is the cause of digestive problems and gas. As a generally rule do not give any dairy products to any adult animals and do not use any cow products on baby animals. They just can't digest it. Some may not always show symptoms but it's never healthy for them and reactions to these things get worse with age.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another thing I missed in your previous post that a lot of people actually do is the cheese. Dogs like nearly every adult animal in the world are lactose intollerant. Quite frequently people use cheese to get pills down them including pills for digestive upset when cheese is the cause of digestive problems and gas. As a generally rule do not give any dairy products to any adult animals and do not use any cow products on baby animals. They just can't digest it. Some may not always show symptoms but it's never healthy for them and reactions to these things get worse with age.
I'd try liver sausage or something like that for the pills, always worked fine for us. Also, if he needs to lose weight, you don't have to necessary downsize the amount of fodd he gets. I am guessing his current food is a combination of meat, vegetables and some ort of corn. Most dog foods unfortunaltelly are. A lot even contain stuff like feathers :mumThe thing is, dogs don't really need the corn, so I'd try to SLOWLY change his diet to a combination of meat and vegetables. That's way healthier and will make him feel better. It might not help with his current problems (as I am not sure whether they are food related, hard to say without knowing him), but it will be better for him.

How is he doing now? were there any other behavioral changes?

199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol. he's doing better.

he stole 3/4 of a steak i had left on the counter the other morning actually. It probably wasn't great for his stomach...but he was certainly happy.

i haven't been woken up anymore in the night by bowel sounds and he's walking better. yay :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Crispycritter, I'm glad to hear your dog is doing well. That's great news;)

I've read a lot of great advice, suggestions, comments, recommendations etc. in response to your original post and I agree with all of them for the most part.

However always take your dog to the vet if you feel like something is just not right!!! It may cost money but if there is something majorly wrong at least something can be done for your dog and he can feel better or you may have saved his life!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a Vet. I've worked in the animal industry for 11+ years and have lots of experience with dogs in particular.

I hope your dog continues to do well and has a happy rest of his life;)
You care for him a great deal and I think that's awesome ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.