Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever get this. This used to be the main thing with my SA and it really bothered me. I used to worry that people thought i walked funny so i would try to correct it and it made me actually walk weird. Did this ever happen to anyone?

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Yeah, I get that sometimes. It's not as bad now as it used to be. One of my SA symptoms is that my muscles become very tense when I feel like I'm being observed, and that would cause me to have a stiff gait. Sort of like a mannequin or something lol. I also worry about the way my arms are swinging, but if I try to consciously control it makes me look even more awkward.The only thing that helps me is to try to focus on something else.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If I'm really anxious I can sometimes feel my shoulders shrugging up a bit when I walk. And I'm pretty self conscious about running in public.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I used to be this way all the time. I got over it by finding a nice pace to walk at, developing a natural stride, and then focusing on other things.

·
In a deep deep hole
400 Posts
i look very tense when walking around people. i never know what to do with my arms. people used to say i walked like a penguin with my arms down by my side, motionless. and never seemed to walk in a straight line because my legs would be all tense.

i always have a zip hoodie so i can put my hands in my pockets, even in summer. i always have a backpack too because if theres lots of people walking towards me, especially girls and i get really axnxious i pretend to be looking for something in my bag, or get my bottle of water out. only when its really really hot i take my hoodie off, but then i hold my backpack straps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
anyone ever get this. This used to be the main thing with my SA and it really bothered me. I used to worry that people thought i walked funny so i would try to correct it and it made me actually walk weird. Did this ever happen to anyone?
Omg Yeah, I know i walk funny and just watching my friends mock me or my boyfriend, really made it worst so it just consumes me when i walk on the streets on my own. I walk kinda like my butt is too heavy that's how everyone seems to describe it. I am Hispanic, i did have a fairly large back side, but even now that i loss some weight i still have the funny walk and minus the butt i still have the walk. i get very nervous especially when a crowed of pretty girls or even cute guys i seem to trip with the bottom of my Sole. Is hard to explain. I would just say Trip/ Leg sorta stiffens lol and i pretend to be telling my imaginary friend on the cellphone lol that "omg my leg is hurting so much blablablab" just so i won't look so stupid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i always have a zip hoodie so i can put my hands in my pockets, even in summer. i always have a backpack too because if theirs lots of people walking towards me, especially girls and i get really anxious i pretend to be looking for something in my bag, or get my bottle of water out. only when its really really hot i take my hoodie off, but then i hold my backpack straps.
when i was in HS i couldn't wear a sweater if it didn't have front pockets, i use to do the same thing with the straps lol lol too. now that i am out of school i carry a hand purse and just like you if i feel nervous because of ppl walking towards me i pretend to be looking for something in my bag!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Walking for me has always been tough. I have trouble moving my arms while a walk and I am really self concious of it. I'm also extremely stiff when my anxiety is bad so that makes it worse.

·
Banned
768 Posts
The more I read this board, the more I feel like I'm reading my life story. It's crazy.
Yeah I used to do this a lot, like 15 years ago or so it was a big problem. I remember one guy in high school even caught on to it and made fun of me. I'm not sure how I got over it, I think I just focused more on my posture, instead of the way I walk, and that helped quite a bit. It's all mental, you just have to get your mind onto other things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts