Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get over this problem where I focus so much on how I appear to the person im talking to that I sometimes lose track of what is being said. Especially when they say something that is supposed to get a smile/laugh and then id fake a smile just to make them feel comfortable while at the same time wondering if the person noticed my fake smile. This usually happens with people im not that comfortable around, but occasionally it happens with friends also. I hate it cause when im at home watching tv, my reactions and facial expressions are so natural and so are my smiles. I always say to myself, why cant I be like this in front of people?

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I have this problem all the time! It's more everything physical than just facial expressions though. It's incredibly annoying because I know I'm acting strange because everything I do is forced versus natural. For example I'm always aware of how I'm talking and that's probably why I sound so dumb when I do presentations. It's like I put more energy in listening to how my voice sounds versus what I'm actually saying. I'm also always paranoid about how my body is positioned so if I'm sitting I may cross my legs, then uncross them, then cross them again, then put my hands on my lap, then cross my arms, etc. I'm even aware of how my legs are moving while walking around campus. It makes me wonder if I'm walking weird because of it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have this problem all the time! It's more everything physical than just facial expressions though. It's incredibly annoying because I know I'm acting strange because everything I do is forced versus natural. For example I'm always aware of how I'm talking and that's probably why I sound so dumb when I do presentations. It's like I put more energy in listening to how my voice sounds versus what I'm actually saying. I'm also always paranoid about how my body is positioned so if I'm sitting I may cross my legs, then uncross them, then cross them again, then put my hands on my lap, then cross my arms, etc. I'm even aware of how my legs are moving while walking around campus. It makes me wonder if I'm walking weird because of it.
lol yea I do that also, especially the walking. I always look in mirrors or reflections when im walking to see if I look weird. I guess the best solution is to not think about your physical appearance and just follow whats on your mind. So much easier said than done though =(.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fatal expressions

I too worry about this all the time. I especially always worry that people are gonna think I'm lying when I'm really not. Sometimes it gets so bad that I actually can't even remember myself if I'm lying. It's so confusing. And I cannot pass a mirror or window without checking that I don't look weird. I worry people are gonna think I'm narcissistic or something but I'm really not at all. Not only do I pay attention to my facial expressions but I analyze the person I'm talking to as well to gauge their reactions to me. I'm fairly certain most of the time I read way too much into them. I pay attention to the way I walk so much that sometimes I end up tripping over myself in trying to correct myself. It's so stupid, but I can't help it. I'm always sabotaging myself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well past couple days ive been improving alot with this. Basically I stopped putting people on a pedestal and just focused on the conversation and whats being said. That way I come off very natural and I could tell they were comfortable talking to me. I had a group study session last night and it went well. I conversed with two people all night and not once did I get anxious by just focusing on whats being said and just relax. Hopefully I get better and better and my sa will be done with. But I am definitely seeing progress. =)

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
My nervous smile feels very awkward and like it probably doesn't look "right". Sometimes when I'm stuck with a smile I can't get rid of, my lip gets twitchy. It's possible it's not even noticeable, but I don't know . . .

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
I still get this sometimes. My face actually use to hurt after a day at work cause of all the expressions I had to make myself make to look normal. I even told my doctor, "aren't facial expressions supposed to come naturally?" Its really annoying when it happens.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I get worried about facial expressions, because I have a natural snobby look. Too try and compensate I over do my expressions, so I look connected and then I'm worry how I look. I have been told I look stuckup, but I am not.

I can be in a neutral mood not happy not sad and I've been told I'm a grump. Anywonder I have trouble with facial expressions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My face is naturally in a moody expression. People take it the wrong way, but what am I suppose to do? Walk around grinning? No.
I dont seem to feel the right emotion when I should, so my facial expressions don't reflect what I'm suppose to be feeling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my natural expression is this :blank

lol, people are always asking me to smile more or if i'm 'mad' (which i'm usually not).

i usually just come back with my own request for them to frown more often, or if they're 'happy'

eventually i got tired of not only having social anxiety but having expectations from others lumped on top of that thereby compounding it, so just stopped caring about my expression.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I get like jaw or ear aches from smilling to much when I'm at my fiances parents house to show that I'm having a good time.There have been times when I was so nervous being around someone that my lips would like shake.I also went through a phase where my eyelid would twitch every time I got nervous.I don't know how I made that go away but I'm glad it did.lol.I just really hate when my face turns red.There is no hiding that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I relapsed again at a family reunion/bday party. I made the mistake of intentionally being late and got greeted by tons of relatives all at the same time wanting to shake my hand and smiling at me. I had to fake a smile the whole time which probably looked forced, but I didnt want to come off as being cold, being that I havent seen some of these people in years. I find that im much better when its one on one or just a couple of people. Im still trying to work on this, maybe practice a facial expression that is warm and inviting without having to have an ear to ear grin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can completely relate to this post. :(
It's really not a good feeling to constantly worry about everything around you, and who's looking at each little twitch you have..
I often have trembling episodes too, most of them being in social situations, or when I constantly worry.
I've noticed it's easier when I just try my best to relax, but when I think too much, I can't even focus on what the person in front of me is saying, which is what causes more social anxiety, because the people can tell sometimes when you're not paying full attention. @[email protected] Which just makes the situation awkward..

I also have this feeling other people are better than me, for some reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This happens to me a lot. I find it difficult to express my emotions in some social situations, so I try to fake them. The harder I try, the weirder I look... Moreover I am not able to really pay attention to what is being said, and this increases my anxiety.

·
Lost
471 Posts
Same. I'm not good at controlling my facial expressions but I tend to smile ALOT when I'm in social situations (so much that my jaw hurts sometimes) because when I don't people think something is wrong, guess I have a RBF. :lol

·
SAS Member
13,224 Posts
Yeah. I was reminded of this again the other day. When people glance at me and smile and I'm expected to smile back to not be rude, I have a hard time forcing myself to smile back unless it's genuine. I just feel like smiling for no reason is a waste.

I also tend to have a stone face or whatever a lot of the time when listening to people talk, lol....I think this probably makes people uncomfortable.

I also tend to not laugh at a lot of things people laugh at when in a large crowd of people listening to a lecture, lol. I feel bad for the speakers....hahaha.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.