Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
planning relocation
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read and reply to many posts on this sight, and notice how many people tend to panic and worry about other people noticing their anxiety. Things like their hands shaking or awkward social moments. When you really think about it though, i think most dont even notice. And the ones that do probably forget like 15 mins later.My thought is because there is just so much going on in this world and in peoples lives. For example today should have been a nice and simple day for me, but it wasnt. I was racing around like a maniac all day with my cell phone blowing up from calls and texts, my pants could have been on fire and i wouldnt have noticed. The point is, that this is just such a fast paced world today where an hour seems to dissapear in 5 min and the whole world doesnt have enough time to stare at you and notice your social anxiety. Just a thought

·
Registered
14 Posts
I completely agree...but I think that's a part that comes with the anxiety, for most if not all people. I often try to tell myself that no one really cares if I don't seem comfortable or don't look happy, etc. but at the end of the day, when I'm actually in a situation, I'm actively thinking what others are thinking of me. I think most, if not all of us with SA are insanely self conscious, which is what hinders our progress.

Also, people will try to say that most people are too into their own world to care about how we appear, or what have you, but I would seriously beg to differ, although I sure hope and would like it if people were too into their own life to really give a damn about someone with SA.

·
Drinking
370 Posts
Yes, but these other lives you talk about are based around other people, including you. Others they see and associate with. Gossip and trend is the rule of the land, not truth.
You're probably right though. As just another person in the pack, most others might judge for a second and then forget it. And really who cares if someone else talks about you?
It's good logic, but being there in person it feels like the whole world is spinning around you. You do care what others are thinking about you. You see someone whispering and think they're talking about you. No, it shouldn't matter, but paranoia takes over. And then when you have to speak, you can't concentrate, causing a false judgment of yourself to others, which in turn makes your SA worse and you become depressed because people don't get to see the real you. Then it does matter.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Learning how to not care what people think of you is part of the battle. It sounds easy on paper, but takes a lot of hard work and self discipline.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I read and reply to many posts on this sight, and notice how many people tend to panic and worry about other people noticing their anxiety. Things like their hands shaking or awkward social moments. When you really think about it though, i think most dont even notice. And the ones that do probably forget like 15 mins later.My thought is because there is just so much going on in this world and in peoples lives. For example today should have been a nice and simple day for me, but it wasnt. I was racing around like a maniac all day with my cell phone blowing up from calls and texts, my pants could have been on fire and i wouldnt have noticed. The point is, that this is just such a fast paced world today where an hour seems to dissapear in 5 min and the whole world doesnt have enough time to stare at you and notice your social anxiety. Just a thought
I agree. The world is too busy with themselves or stalking their lova lol to notice your anxiety.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Yes, but these other lives you talk about are based around other people, including you. Others they see and associate with. Gossip and trend is the rule of the land, not truth.
exactly, people have noticed my sa symptoms, whether shaking twitching or even the look on my face has given me away. being worried about people noticing makes it worse, and the key to stopping it is to not care so much. For the most part people I come across while shopping or whatever don't care, but when It comes to trying to meet people, that is where I have difficulties.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts